Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 01:02 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Admittedly, I haven't followed this entire thread, but Jesus, why so worked up? That is pretty passive aggressive and not so passive aggressive.
Passive aggressive? It's not meant to be. It's straight-forward I hope.

Btw, I hope you dont' actually think I'm ''worked up'' about this or anything on this internet back-n-forth...please. I hope no one is worked up about any of this as well.

Last edited by Kamms; 09-12-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I am turning 28 in a couple weeks. I think millennials trash marriage and children because they are afraid or anything that involves dedication and commitment and especially hard work. It's easier, though ultimately empty, to pursue your own ideals independent of anyone else. You'll never feel like you compromised your life for someone who doesn't appreciate the sacrifice. But on the other hand, you never really "live" in my opinion. The millennial life experience and attitude is foreign to 99% of all people who have ever lived. Are we smarter than They? I submit no.

Personally I do think marriage is exciting, much more so than being 36 with roommates in a coastal city where you don't know the names of your neighbors (who change ever year anyway). More exciting than constantly worrying about your status among your peers so you can get more tinder dates. I am not married but if you asked me what I want to do, I'd rather get married and move to Cleveland or go live somewhere in New Hampshire or something. I think my generation will realize their mistakes when their looks start to fade.

To note though: millennials who think like me are more numerous than a lot assume. We just don't incessantly tweet about it.
See also the ''Vanishing Adult Syndrome''.

I actually witnessed a young attorney crying in court and accusing another attorney of being ''mean''.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM

800 posts, read 950,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Blue Ash, Oakley, or Boone County, KY? Seriously?

Yeah, those places suck. It's definitely not going there. If Amazon comes to Cincinnati, it will be downtown or possibly partially on the NKY riverfront if they work out a 2-state deal.

I work in the blue collar world. Those of the millennial generation who work in manufacturing or in warehouse offices in no way resemble the "snowflakes" Fox News baits their disgruntled geriatric audience with. They're exactly the same everyone who is 22-30 years old has been for the past 50 years.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Yeah, those places suck. It's definitely not going there. If Amazon comes to Cincinnati, it will be downtown or possibly partially on the NKY riverfront if they work out a 2-state deal.

I work in the blue collar world. Those of the millennial generation who work in manufacturing or in warehouse offices in no way resemble the "snowflakes" Fox News baits their disgruntled geriatric audience with. They're exactly the same everyone who is 22-30 years old has been for the past 50 years.
Agree that the millennial blue collars 22-30 years are the same for the past 50 years. No doubt.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:25 PM

840 posts, read 760,590 times
Well according to the NYT article where they analyse cities that are possibilities they see Denver as the winner. They had Columbus in the mix but it was weeded out early on. We'll see....hope it's Cleveland but kind of doubtful.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:59 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I am turning 28 in a couple weeks. I think millennials trash marriage and children because they are afraid or anything that involves dedication and commitment and especially hard work. It's easier, though ultimately empty, to pursue your own ideals independent of anyone else. You'll never feel like you compromised your life for someone who doesn't appreciate the sacrifice. But on the other hand, you never really "live" in my opinion. The millennial life experience and attitude is foreign to 99% of all people who have ever lived. Are we smarter than They? I submit no.

Personally I do think marriage is exciting, much more so than being 36 with roommates in a coastal city where you don't know the names of your neighbors (who change ever year anyway). More exciting than constantly worrying about your status among your peers so you can get more tinder dates. I am not married but if you asked me what I want to do, I'd rather get married and move to Cleveland or go live somewhere in New Hampshire or something. I think my generation will realize their mistakes when their looks start to fade.

To note though: millennials who think like me are more numerous than a lot assume. We just don't incessantly tweet about it.
I'll +1 all of this as a 26-year old. Except swap Cleveland for Dayton and New Hampshire for New Mexico (although I never been to New Hampshire, it sounds pretty great too).

Side note - this thread is going way off topic. Although it is making me think I should start a "which of the 3-C's is most desirable to Millennials based on nothing other than your own personal perception thread" which would get ugly fast but at least the ride through the ugly would be a lot of fun!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I would think Detroit would be even cheaper, and it's gotten some buzz recently on the tech side. Of course, it also arguably has far more serious problems than Cleveland, so I think it's an even bigger long shot.
I'd disagree. If I wasn't so biased towards Cincy getting it (I still think the 2-state tax incentive package and talent pool will be clutch) Detroit would be the obvious winner IMO.

Primarily because

1. The metro is massive, ~5 million people, and offers the amenities for it.
2. The amount of vacant space inside city limits is immense.
3. The labor pool is there and waiting (unemployment is still higher there than average AND it has the highest concentration of engineers per capita of any major metro)
4. The colleges are excellent (U of M kills it academically, whether or not us OSU fans like to admit it. Ivy league good)
5. The PR / visuals would be amazing from across the globe (headlines - AMAZON SAVES DYING DETROIT! not hard to imagine it)
6. It could easily serve Canada (Windsor is a stone's throw away. Possibly literally).
7. Very low cost of living.

Even in the comments on the WashPo article, commenter after commenter kept mentioning how great Detroit would be as an option. It'll be interesting to see how Amazon decides to go about the initial narrowing process.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 3,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I'd disagree. If I wasn't so biased towards Cincy getting it (I still think the 2-state tax incentive package and talent pool will be clutch) Detroit would be the obvious winner IMO.

Primarily because

1. The metro is massive, ~5 million people, and offers the amenities for it.
2. The amount of vacant space inside city limits is immense.
3. The labor pool is there and waiting (unemployment is still higher there than average AND it has the highest concentration of engineers per capita of any major metro)
4. The colleges are excellent (U of M kills it academically, whether or not us OSU fans like to admit it. Ivy league good)
5. The PR / visuals would be amazing from across the globe (headlines - AMAZON SAVES DYING DETROIT! not hard to imagine it)
6. It could easily serve Canada (Windsor is a stone's throw away. Possibly literally).
7. Very low cost of living.

Even in the comments on the WashPo article, commenter after commenter kept mentioning how great Detroit would be as an option. It'll be interesting to see how Amazon decides to go about the initial narrowing process.
I agree that a 2-state tax incentive package is an advantage for Cinci but talent pool is probably an advantage for Detroit not Cincinnati. Greater Detroit has a much larger population than Greater Cincinnati and University of Michigan would provide a pool of much higher quality young talent than University of Cincinnati.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by althor View Post
I agree that a 2-state tax incentive package is an advantage for Cinci but talent pool is probably an advantage for Detroit not Cincinnati. Greater Detroit has a much larger population than Greater Cincinnati and University of Michigan would provide a pool of much higher quality young talent than University of Cincinnati.
I see. I'm actually referring to experienced professionals, not entry level... there's a ton of P&G, Kroger, and Macy's employees they could hire on easily without relocation. Not to mention the support firms for those, including places like Epsilon, Nielsen, 84.51, etc.

As far as entry level talent goes, it'd probably be a lot of UC, Miami, OSU, UK, UD, Xavier grads.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 3,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I see. I'm actually referring to experienced professionals, not entry level... there's a ton of P&G, Kroger, and Macy's employees they could hire on easily without relocation. Not to mention the support firms for those, including places like Epsilon, Nielsen, 84.51, etc.

As far as entry level talent goes, it'd probably be a lot of UC, Miami, OSU, UK, UD, Xavier grads.
Greater Detroit also has a number of Fortune 500/1000 companies to hire experienced professionals from easily without relocation. But more importantly Amazon's workforce model depends on huge yearly influxes of young tech talent which it promptly chews up and spits out. The median tenure at the company is under one year and unless Amazon's workforce model changes for HQ2 that will be an important factor in choosing its location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland