Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:20 AM

232 posts, read 475,423 times

Advertisements

It isn't a requirement, but its a societal norm that 45 would me the minimum. why do you think officers dont pull drivers over for going 50 in a 45? it also is so stupid that drivers will literally slam on breaks for rail road tracks on greenville blvd. they are bad, but not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 04:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
It isn't a requirement, but its a societal norm that 45 would me the minimum. why do you think officers dont pull drivers over for going 50 in a 45? it also is so stupid that drivers will literally slam on breaks for rail road tracks on greenville blvd. they are bad, but not that bad.
No. The societal norm in Greenville and the surrounding area is to go 10 MPH under the limit. And those RR tracks on G-ville Blvd near the Best Buy are extremely rough. With most RR crossings, the faster you go the easier it is. You'd have to go over that one at 80 MPH to make it smooth. If you want irritating drive down NC 102 through Ayden. People come to an almost complete stop and creep over that RR crossing.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:27 AM

50 posts, read 119,117 times
How long have those tracks on Gville blvd been like that? Any chance they'll fix them? they are horrible but not going to do any damage unless your one of those pampers, ups, black and mild, or other stupid themed cars on 50 inch rims.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosi View Post
How long have those tracks on Gville blvd been like that? Any chance they'll fix them? they are horrible but not going to do any damage unless your one of those pampers, ups, black and mild, or other stupid themed cars on 50 inch rims.
Since I got here in '06. They may be leaving it like that intentionally. It tends to act like a speed bump. I came across them about 40 MPH in my Mustang and it about turned the car sideways. My Mustang is sprung real tight with Ford Racing road race springs.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM

150 posts, read 352,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
No. The societal norm in Greenville and the surrounding area is to go 10 MPH under the limit.
That took me a lot of getting used to when I first moved here. I think I also walk fast for the societal norms here too because when I'm shopping or whatever, sometimes someone will implore me to "slow down!" (not in a mean way, but I think they're just bemused by me).

Old 01-21-2011, 01:21 PM

77 posts, read 150,897 times
Yeah, but when the main thoroughfare through your town is slowed down because some jackhole is doing 33 in the left lane on a 4 lane divided highway, its irritating. I just want to get the hell home/to work/to the store.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk_md View Post
Yeah, but when the main thoroughfare through your town is slowed down because some jackhole is doing 33 in the left lane on a 4 lane divided highway, its irritating. I just want to get the hell home/to work/to the store.
Left lane, right lane. What's the difference? Don't tell that you still believe in that "The left lane is supposed to be a passing lane" urban legend do you? They're all travel lanes. The only road I've ever been on that had a dedicated passing lane was the Jersey Turnpike.

I just took the NC driver's test 4 years ago and nowhere in the driver's manual did it make reference to slower traffic keep right.

It did however say that the center turn lanes are for turning only, not merging into traffic, like so many, many people do here.

I get just as irritated at people going 10 and 15 MPH under as you guys do. But it is their right to do so and they're not breaking any laws when they do it. Just like those simpletons that ride scooters down the road at 25 MPH under and then block a whole lane doing it. Or the farm tractor with 25 cars backed up behind him but still he refuses to pull over and let them go by.

BTW, did you ever see the Nighthawks? I'm from Edgewater, just south of Annapolis.

Last edited by Richard Martin; 01-22-2011 at 02:32 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,902,251 times
I know it's a different state, but in Texas the left lane is the passing lane and you are only permitted in it if passing. At least on the open 80mph highways

Old 01-22-2011, 07:08 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosi View Post
Greenville Blvd. at those RR tracks behind Best Buy is scheduled to close for approximately 5 days beginning Feb. 21, 2011. Plan out your major detours.

As far as the topic, I've found drivers driving real slow on Greenville Blvd. between Evans & Red Banks, on Stantonsburg and on Charles in the Gold's Gym area. For whatever reason when a car in the right lane is about to make a right turn, some drivers in the left lane apply their brakes, too. I don't get it.

It is not only a courtesy for slower drivers to use the right lane, it is actually state law in many states, including NC. Of course, this is for highway driving. You can't expect drivers to worry about keeping right when they're going to turn left within minutes.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM

50 posts, read 119,117 times
Ive began to get accustomed to it now. I leave with plenty of time to get down Greenville blvd to get to pitt for class and I take deep breaths. I tend to listen to NPR podcasts of wait wait don't tell me. When I'm laughing I don't care about the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina