Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 AM

228 posts, read 601,289 times

Advertisements

It is not an urban legend that the left lane is the fast lane and the right lane is the slower lane, it is an accepted driving norm. Try this kind of junk up north and you will get shoved aside with the driver behind you flashing his brights in your back window...

...people just tend to do things slower here...walk, talk, drive, etc. My personal pet peeve is how slowly people turn in this area...like it is a life changing event, instead of a normal occurrence.

But, as to "speed limits" - "speed minimums" - etc., the local police officer I asked about this said that unless there are other aggravating circumstances, they do not even begin to think about ticketing until you are consistently 10+ miles over the speed limit.

So, hey, I will respect your right to drive slower if you respect my right to pass you like a flag on a downhill run. Deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 AM

249 posts, read 515,187 times
If you're too slow for me, I'll pass you when it's safe to do so.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM

50 posts, read 119,098 times
Haha well said runningnorm

Old 04-06-2011, 03:48 AM

39 posts, read 71,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
...people just tend to do things slower here...walk, talk, drive, etc. My personal pet peeve is how slowly people turn in this area...like it is a life changing event, instead of a normal occurrence.
I was rear ended a few weeks ago because the person in front of me came to a complete stop to turn right into the McDonald's on 10th Street off of Cotanche.

If you've ever wondered why Greenville Blvd. travellers travel much slower than possible under the posted legal speed limit, consider the number of driveway cuts up and down that road as previously mentioned. The length of the road between Red Banks and Evans may seem like a parking lot to you and there is a good reason for that. There are (by my count) 14 driveways on the north side of that stretch and -- get ready for it -- 34 driveways on the south side.
A simple but politically complicated solution to this might be to restrict access to Greenville Blvd. from the businesses with frontage on both Greenville Blvd. and Red Banks. (i.e. Bojangles, Bank of America, Motel 6...)

Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Left lane, right lane. What's the difference? Don't tell that you still believe in that "The left lane is supposed to be a passing lane" urban legend do you? They're all travel lanes. The only road I've ever been on that had a dedicated passing lane was the Jersey Turnpike.

I just took the NC driver's test 4 years ago and nowhere in the driver's manual did it make reference to slower traffic keep right.

It did however say that the center turn lanes are for turning only, not merging into traffic, like so many, many people do here.

I get just as irritated at people going 10 and 15 MPH under as you guys do. But it is their right to do so and they're not breaking any laws when they do it. Just like those simpletons that ride scooters down the road at 25 MPH under and then block a whole lane doing it. Or the farm tractor with 25 cars backed up behind him but still he refuses to pull over and let them go by.

BTW, did you ever see the Nighthawks? I'm from Edgewater, just south of Annapolis.
Richard, I travel I-40 about once a year to Asheville and I have seen signs that state "Slower Traffic Keep Right". But thats the interstate. Never seen one in the city though.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:45 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Richard, I travel I-40 about once a year to Asheville and I have seen signs that state "Slower Traffic Keep Right". But thats the interstate. Never seen one in the city though.
As you point out, that is often seen on Interstates. You can't extend that to roads that aren't marked as such though. That would be like saying that all trucks except for buses are prohibited in the left lane everywhere simply because there's signs on 95 that say that.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 AM

An interesting statistic that just came out is that the slowest 5% of driver cause over 90% of fatal accidents.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosi View Post
An interesting statistic that just came out is that the slowest 5% of driver cause over 90% of fatal accidents.
They're a wrench in the works.

They're a distraction and unpredictable, more likely to do things like jam on the brakes suddenly (even though they don't need to - obviously). Traffic flows easier when everyone is doing between the speed limit and 10 mph faster. When multiple cars go slower you get a cluster, which is never safest.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 AM

I agree, when everyone is spaced out going the speed limit, you have more time to predict what other drivers are going to do.

It also seems, lately, like a lot of drivers are either lost or indecisive about where they are going. They'll slow down in the left lane to nearly a complete stop and then creep over to the turn lane, still ass out into the main lane and just sit.

I don't care what the speed limits are anymore. It's the drivers that decide the limits. I've come to understand turning off Greenville blvd to head out towards Pitt community college, although it's 50 mph, majority will never go over 40. I chalk it up to drivers not paying attention and being on cell phones that they aren't realizing/caring the speed limit went up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina