Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 12:58 AM

23 posts, read 51,556 times

Advertisements

In the past 25 years have St. James homes or property been flooded.
I saw lovely new homes in Brunswick forest, can I get the same builder, plan, in St. James, I really loved the plans but they are turning the forest into plains, I was so disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 06:28 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyCat View Post
I saw lovely new homes in Brunswick forest, can I get the same builder, plan, in St. James, I really loved the plans but they are turning the forest into plains, I was so disappointed.

Wide scale flooding where water enters the ground floor of the residence? No, not to my knowledge.

Isolated high water in relatively small areas, yes, but I have still never heard of a home being flooded on the inside. Maybe a garage or the crawl space but not inside.

I would be judicious on lot selection and foundation. Talking to neighbors around the lot you want to build will probably tell you more than the sales office in terms of standing water in a specific area. In general, SJP is well designed with ponds and such to aid in storm run off but there a a few lots I personally would be concerned about buying.

As far as 'can you get the same builder'? I would ask the builder. Most likely, yes. Building in SJP will cost 5-10k more because all the checks and balances/restrictions placed on builders. There is a process the builder has to go through and those costs are passed on to you. Sometimes they seem excessive but it protects the community and homeowners adjacent to the construction site.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:07 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Attached are two links--one showing the list of approved builders in Brunswick Forrest and one showing the list of members of the St James Builders' Guild. You will see some overlap. We looked in both Brunswick Forrest and St James (Ultimately deciding to build in St James)...I think you will find that if you found a home/plan/builder you like in Brunswick Forrest and that builder is not in St James, you can likely find an equivalent substitute in terms of layout, size, builder quality.

Our Builders | Brunswick Forest

http://www.stjamesplantation.com/wp-...Cut-Sheet3.pdf

Old 02-06-2017, 05:18 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
We have an Ideal Living Expo coming to Greenwich Connecticut next weekend, so I'll be stopping to speak to some of these builders and Reps for a future build.....check to see if you have an Expo coming to your area.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:47 AM

59 posts, read 137,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Attached are two links--one showing the list of approved builders in Brunswick Forrest and one showing the list of members of the St James Builders' Guild. You will see some overlap. We looked in both Brunswick Forrest and St James (Ultimately deciding to build in St James)...I think you will find that if you found a home/plan/builder you like in Brunswick Forrest and that builder is not in St James, you can likely find an equivalent substitute in terms of layout, size, builder quality.

Our Builders | Brunswick Forest

http://www.stjamesplantation.com/wp-...Cut-Sheet3.pdf
You are not limited to a builder in the Guild. The Guild are builders that SJP backs. Those builders also pay to be in the Guild and a lot of times a portion of the fee is added to the cost of the home. We're going with a builder that is big in Compass Pointe and starting to build in BF and SJP. So if you saw a home you like, you may still be able to build it in SJP.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:06 AM

158 posts, read 315,515 times
It must be a slow news day in Wilmington as SJP made it to the front page of the paper.

St. James population may grow to 7,000 next year - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

Old 02-06-2017, 11:59 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
You are not limited to a builder in the Guild. The Guild are builders that SJP backs. Those builders also pay to be in the Guild and a lot of times a portion of the fee is added to the cost of the home. We're going with a builder that is big in Compass Pointe and starting to build in BF and SJP. So if you saw a home you like, you may still be able to build it in SJP.

Thanks for clarifying that...I was not aware of those details. Interesting and good to know.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:04 PM

52 posts, read 91,968 times
I'm early in the process and far from an expert but the following is my impression as i went through the builder choice process in SJP.
. if your looking to build a custom home then you may want to start with a Designer first. ( in NC home designers do not have to be licensed architects but thats a whole other issue) There are many good builders in SJP but a number of them specialize in building off of stock plans with fixed allowances and although they be happy to tweak a plan or move a wall here and there and upgrade selections( like plumbing, granite or the cabinets) , you will likely find the change orders add up quickly. Unless you go with "build it like you see it," the price for the semi-custom builder may not that much lower then the custom. These seem to be good solid homes so my point is best to figure out what you want first. I found a few builders recommend to sign an agreement with them to do the design and then go to the same designers getting a mark up for the design, survey and engineering services. So paying directly saves your a few bucks . There are a few designers that account for a good portion of the homes in SJP and they not only can help in design but can assist getting the home through ARC process. Lastly, get a lot of references and call folks about their experiences. For us, price and quality is important but equally important ( or maybe greater importance) is the relationship you will have with the builder. Again, these are my impressions and like other things on this blog take it as a point of view.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:14 AM

23 posts, read 51,556 times
Since all on this site have moved to St. James, I have a question about selling my townhouse in Northern NJ. Before I sell I need too rip out carpeting in my LR, DR, hallway, foyer stairs, and up stairs, and upstairs hallway, I want to put in wood but there is a huge difference in wood, engineered wood, and laminate or vinyl. I have already put a lot of $ in to the kitchen, up and down bathroom, and do not want another major expense. Can I still sell and be competitive without full expensive hardwood?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:38 AM

192 posts, read 256,551 times
Quote:
Since all on this site have moved to St. James, I have a question about selling my townhouse in Northern NJ. Before I sell I need too rip out carpeting in my LR, DR, hallway, foyer stairs, and up stairs, and upstairs hallway, I want to put in wood but there is a huge difference in wood, engineered wood, and laminate or vinyl. I have already put a lot of $ in to the kitchen, up and down bathroom, and do not want another major expense. Can I still sell and be competitive without full expensive hardwood?
Went through this in Pittstown before selling our home there. Put in carpet and be done with it. It will be clean, fresh and the buyers will probably rip it out and put in what THEY want anyway.

Go see the guys at Washington Flooring on Route 57 in Washington Boro. Great guys and will provide professional advice. They do this all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina