Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 01:18 PM

81 posts, read 224,687 times

Advertisements

I just received an email with an update on the new gate:

Grove Gate Opening

The new Grove Gate, connecting St James Drive with Middleton Road, will be open for the public on Monday morning, April 10th at 7:00 am. The gate will be staffed 24 hours a day for approximately two months, while the Polly Gulley Improvements are being made. Following completion of the Polly Gulley project, the Grove Gate will adopt the same hours as Regency Gate. It will be manned from 7 am to 7pm on Monday thru Friday and from 8 am to 5 pm on Saturday, the same as our contractor work hours. It will be accessible 24 hours a day for residents with RFID tags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 03:34 PM

52 posts, read 92,116 times
Hows the new gate? I havent moved yet and will be visiting in 2 weeks. Curious how things are going with Polly Gulley closed and traffic south of that point having to go through the new gate? Any pictures would be appreciated
thanks

Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM

176 posts, read 240,027 times
When I was there over the weekend they had a sign up saying Polly Gully bridge was going to be closed today (Wednesday) instead of Monday. I am also wondering how the split is going to work for 2 months. I can imagine delivery people are going to go nuts (UPS, Fed Ex, Postal Service)!!!

Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 AM

183 posts, read 287,664 times
I am trying to get the new access to SJP properly added to Google Maps, but have thus far been only partially successful.

You can visually see Maxwell Dr on the map and its connections to Middleton Blvd to the west and and St James Dr to the east, but you cant yet get Google Maps to give you directions that let you travel by car this way from inside SJP to the world beyond.

Hopefully the folks working in the Google-funded IT sweatshop in Hyderabad, India, will take pity on our plight and fix these map issues soon.

Last edited by sputnikjim; 04-13-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 04-13-2017, 11:34 AM

8,387 posts, read 4,374,196 times
The gate is open and manned. Security is having to really work though. The electric gates are not functional yet so every car, resident or not has to go by security. Generally they are just looking for the Beach Club sticker on the back of the rear view mirror and if they see it, they wave you through. You still have to wait if there are visitors in front of you. They are saying they hope the RFID and gates are functional in the next few days.

I live just a short distance on the ocean side of Polly Gully. Distance wise, I am about 3 miles from the front gate and the same from the new Grove gate. My house fronts St James and what used to a very busy street, is now almost a dead end. The traffic is probably gone down 95% or more. It is strangely quiet. I guess it will be that way for the next couple of months. At the same time, the people that live between the marina and The Grove are probably not happy with all the traffic added at that end.

It will be interesting to see traffic patters once Polly Gully opens again. I am sure there will be more traffic than now but I expect less than before.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
The gate is open and manned. Security is having to really work though. The electric gates are not functional yet so every car, resident or not has to go by security. Generally they are just looking for the Beach Club sticker on the back of the rear view mirror and if they see it, they wave you through. You still have to wait if there are visitors in front of you. They are saying they hope the RFID and gates are functional in the next few days.

I live just a short distance on the ocean side of Polly Gully. Distance wise, I am about 3 miles from the front gate and the same from the new Grove gate. My house fronts St James and what used to a very busy street, is now almost a dead end. The traffic is probably gone down 95% or more. It is strangely quiet. I guess it will be that way for the next couple of months. At the same time, the people that live between the marina and The Grove are probably not happy with all the traffic added at that end.

It will be interesting to see traffic patters once Polly Gully opens again. I am sure there will be more traffic than now but I expect less than before.
thanks for the report. Have they started work on the Polly Gully bridge,yet?

Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
thanks for the report. Have they started work on the Polly Gully bridge,yet?
Yes, not in any major way that I can tell. Between the bridge and Founders is a small trailer, probably for supplies. At the other end on the Trailwood side I think they have set up a porta john. A few workers have been on the bridge in small groups doing who knows what.

There are orange and white barricades at both ends of the bridge in both lanes. There are barricades at the junction of Members Club and St James whose sole purpose is to inform you if you are headed toward the bridge is Members is now a detour.

I originally understood this work on the bridge was to upgrade the pilings and guardrails as well as a small elevation of the road surface. Apparently the road surface is not in the plans now. That maybe so as to provide minimal emergency vehicle interruption across the bridge. As it is now, one person can pretty easily move a barricade. EMS, fire department and fire police are working together to move the barricades for vehicles to cross as needed. As work progresses I assume there will be heavier equipment to deliver and drive new pilings. I am also assuming the goal is keep at least one lane clear so emergency traffic can continue to cross as needed which is pretty much a daily occurrence. For example, this AM there was a collision on 211 at midway between a truck and a car that involves pretty much every one at the fire station. Response was good and though navigating the bridge slowed down a few respondents by perhaps a minute or so, overall the impact was minimal.

As noted, if you approach Polly Gully from the Founders Club side, you can turn left onto Members and head out to the Seaside gate.

If you approach Polly Gully from the Waterway Park side, you can turn left at Trailwood that will take you back to St James past the marina where you can go out the new Grove gate.

I am sure some will whine and complain about the 'inconvenience of it all' but in 60 days or so, when it is all complete, SJP will be that much safer for those that live along the ICW. It will also give a large percentage of the SJP community easier and quicker access to Oak island beaches.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Yes, not in any major way that I can tell. Between the bridge and Founders is a small trailer, probably for supplies. At the other end on the Trailwood side I think they have set up a porta john. A few workers have been on the bridge in small groups doing who knows what.

There are orange and white barricades at both ends of the bridge in both lanes. There are barricades at the junction of Members Club and St James whose sole purpose is to inform you if you are headed toward the bridge is Members is now a detour.

I originally understood this work on the bridge was to upgrade the pilings and guardrails as well as a small elevation of the road surface. Apparently the road surface is not in the plans now. That maybe so as to provide minimal emergency vehicle interruption across the bridge. As it is now, one person can pretty easily move a barricade. EMS, fire department and fire police are working together to move the barricades for vehicles to cross as needed. As work progresses I assume there will be heavier equipment to deliver and drive new pilings. I am also assuming the goal is keep at least one lane clear so emergency traffic can continue to cross as needed which is pretty much a daily occurrence. For example, this AM there was a collision on 211 at midway between a truck and a car that involves pretty much every one at the fire station. Response was good and though navigating the bridge slowed down a few respondents by perhaps a minute or so, overall the impact was minimal.

As noted, if you approach Polly Gully from the Founders Club side, you can turn left onto Members and head out to the Seaside gate.

If you approach Polly Gully from the Waterway Park side, you can turn left at Trailwood that will take you back to St James past the marina where you can go out the new Grove gate.

I am sure some will whine and complain about the 'inconvenience of it all' but in 60 days or so, when it is all complete, SJP will be that much safer for those that live along the ICW. It will also give a large percentage of the SJP community easier and quicker access to Oak island beaches.
thanks -great synopsis of what's going on. I think you'd turn right onto Members instead of left, wouldn't you? I've only been there a handful of times, so still learning my way around. We do have a contract on a house, though, and should be moving there soon!!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:36 PM

You are right about the 'right'.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM

183 posts, read 287,664 times
Default Google Maps navigation to and from new STP gate

SJP, not STP I mean.

Ive had limited success getting Google Maps to show the changes at new gate to allow it to give proper traffic routing.

Currently, it shows where Maxwell intersects with EF Middleton and where it connects to to St James Drive. It does not show that you can turn left from Middleton southbound onto Maxwell, nor that you can make a U-turn from Middleton northbound to head down to Oak Island.

So, for a while still, folks will just need to keep their eyes on the road and their brains engaged, rather that rely on the jazzy maps app on their phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina