Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 07:45 AM

91 posts, read 179,358 times

Advertisements

My wife and I came down end of last week. We had not been on-property for about 15 years.

Wow, it has really grown, and the amenities looked terrific. It certainly seems like the developer has continued to pour money into SJP over the years. My wife particularly enjoyed the beach club, which was a bit tricky to find, but well worth it.

The impression we had is that SJP is a bit on the "home stretch" in terms of new lots available. There are a number of re-sales, but the number of developer owned lots appear to be reaching an end in the foreseeable future. They have one new section they are opening up in the NW corner. Otherwise, it looks like it is getting built out.

Are we mistaken in that impression?

Escaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 11:08 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
I think you are pretty much on point.

Two years ago "build out" was being predicted in 10-15 years. Now build out is being predicted in 5 years.

In the past two years Woodlands was seeing a boom, then Seaside took off. The Grove is selling (and building) like the proverbial hot cakes.

I believe the area along Oceanic Drive is the last. Some work has been done on the road though it is currently still dirt. The fire department has just accepted a bid to build a second station about midway on Oceanic. It will also contain an Emergency Operations Center for the town of St James. The goal is for it to be operational in about a year or May'ish of 2018. Along Oceanic will also be additional single family homes and, I think, multifamily buildings or condos. I also expect to see some progress on that in the next year.

The developer will step down from an active role on the POA in 2020. The POA has been operating independently of the developer, for the most part, in maintaining SJP for some time now.

One major unknown is the future of The Clubs which is obviously a big part of SJP. Will the developer keep The Clubs, sell The Clubs, or turn it over the POA? I have heard rumors alluding to all three. The Clubs are fully integrated into the heart of SJP and I don't see it going away. What ever is in the future, I don't see membership getting cheaper.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:30 AM

761 posts, read 604,079 times
How many miles to Southport?

Old 05-29-2017, 02:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
How many miles to Southport?
From the main entrance of SJP to Howe and 11th Street in Southport, 4.5 miles.

St James is an hour or less from Wilmington and Myrtle Beach both of which have hundreds of quality restaurants to choose from and most any form of shopping you could want.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 PM

Default Decision-SJP

Well, we decided to pull the trigger and purchased a lot in Moss Hammock II. Probably will not build for about a year, but wanted to get a lot that we liked before the pickings started to thin out. Wife wanted a very private back yard, so we certainly have that now, with plenty of trees.

After 3 trips touring from North Carolina to Florida, including Tennessee, too, we feel good about our decision to select SJP. We love the amenities and the energy in the area. Many communities we visited we felt we were too young. I cannot imagine lacking things to do at SJP.

The Landings was our second choice. The lack of good, reasonably priced re-sale housing was a negative, and the property taxes are more than double than SJP.

This thread was very helpful, and I thank all the contributors for their input. If anyone else wants to know about our comparative analysis, please feel to post questions.

Escaper

Old 06-03-2017, 01:21 PM

52 posts, read 91,968 times
Escaper

About 18 months ahead of you and still excited about the community and making SJP our permanent home.

The next big challenge is picking a builder. Lots of information on this Thread and other resources. Recommend you ask away as the choice is personal and not easy. Happy to share my experience too date if you PM me. Good luck and welcome

Old 06-03-2017, 04:03 PM

Thanks, PM sent.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:23 AM

52 posts, read 78,797 times
Welcome to SJP Escaper. My wife and I bought a lot in Cottage Lakes last November on our first visit and the foundation on our home is going in this week with a move-in date of November 1st. We were just down there last weekend, our first visit in the summer season, and the place was hopping. The Marina, Seaside pool, the Beach Club, and Southport Sunday afternoon was alive at the restaurants, packed and live music. Grabbing a lot you like is a good move now. The best lots, whether you want privacy, a pond, or golf course view will become harder to find over the next few years. Any questions, don't hesititate to PM.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:38 PM

Thanks NYSteve.

We were they 10 days ago and the energy was evident. 165 homes under construction currently, including yours!

Good luck with the building process on your new home. We will be joining you in 2019.

Steve (Escaper)

Old 06-16-2017, 03:19 AM

183 posts, read 286,741 times
Default Grove/Maxwell/"new" Gate now on Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikjim View Post
I am trying to get the new access to SJP properly added to Google Maps, but have thus far been only partially successful.
Nine weeks later, Google Maps published the map updates needed for traffic directions to and from the new gate, including the U-turn to get to OKI from SJP.

Gmaps does not show closure of SJ Dr for work at Polly Gully, so some GMaps directions might suggest that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina