Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 06:33 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times

Advertisements

With all due respect to everyone .... I believe we all need to step back and take a deep breath .... the sale has taken place, someone / some entity has to run the place and Troon came up with what must be the many millions of dollars to do it..... and they have not only the experience but so far it appears that they the "intention" to run it properly, correctly, profitably / take your pick. I do not believe that Troon put that kind of money up to hurt themselves, rather to make money in an ongoing enterprise. One can "speculate" about the sky falling but that will not do anyone any good, "they" have scheduled meetings late in January ( which is very soon ) to answer questions and disseminate any information about any changes / adjustments they have planned. Until then, "speculating" about doomsday scenarios is simply that ..... speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 06:35 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njtoncsoon View Post
Am I reading the FAQ correctly...are the Seaside Wellness Center/Pool and the Beach Club NOT part of this sale? Is seems to only specifically list Members, Founders, Reserve and Players and a running of Tommy Thompsons. There is not any indication in the FAQ if the clubs will be "opened" to non St James residents. For example, can one that lives outside St James and pay a monthly fee and come and use the sport facilities, fitness centers, etc. I would think this would cause traffic/parking concerns, as well as limited availability for residents. Would a "gym membership" exclude the huge buy in amount...because I don't know of any fitness center that requires a 20k buy in and a monthly fee. I did call my sales agent at St James when I read the clubs could be turning over (this was before the confirmation of the sale) and he could not answer these questions. As a future buyer OR a current resident I think it's important information that should be clear.
The entity that controls the "gates" really has control over this question. Troon can't open the facilities to non-residents unilaterally because they don't control access to the facilities. Who controls the gates now? The developer, the homeowners association or the Town?

Old 01-10-2018, 06:44 AM

That's not quite true either, in the past "outsiders / non-members" have been able to come in to play golf and patronize the restaurants and the marina facility on a limited basis. Once again, this is all speculation and whatever the changes may be .... IF ANY .... will be outlined at those "meetings" very shortly .... so they have said.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 AM

91 posts, read 179,358 times
I have slept on this.

First, Troon has an excellent reputation.

Second, they are a business, and wants and expects ROI for what they paid. That endangers current residents as far as fees/dues/membership costs. When the developer owned the unpurchased land and the Clubs, there was a financial incentive not to drive those costs too high to avoid squelching development. That no longer is the case.

Third, there is no answer in the FAQ as to whether Troon will allow outside play. The fact it is NOT answered is a bit ominous. I am sure, at a minimum, they have left that door open in the future, but I don't know that for a fact. The "protection of our existing members" is pretty vague.

Fourth, Stoney is absolutely correct that Troon cannot afford to alienate the existing members entirely, or risk catastrophe on their investment. The last thing they want is an 81 hole and multiple clubhouse white elephant.

Please keep all of us informed as more details emerge. If someone could specifically ask if they will allow outside play I would certainly appreciate it. I may call down there myself.

Thanks for posting the FAQ.

Steve

Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 AM

91 posts, read 179,358 times
Stoney, just saw your comment on outside play. My understanding--correct if I am wrong--is that no outside play has been allowed about a decade. It was necessary during the downturn and when SJP was less developed.

Are the courses and clubs underutilized now?

Steve

Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 AM

I have no inside information if the courses are under or adequately utilized, I would be surprised if that info was not given at the future meetings as "they" of course, have it at their fingertips .... Again, they have always allowed outside play, for good or bad I can only assume that is a financial consideration to help with the upkeep of the clubs, courses, etc. They have announced that they will disseminate information regarding future changes / details ( if any ) starting on Jan 22nd ( I think that is the date ) at several meetings at which which members / owners can reserve a seat .... the ball is rolling now and cannot be stopped and so once again, speculation / worry about scenarios that apparently have no basis in fact ( as of yet ) does nobody any good.... I don't believe they will answer any questions until then .... "they" may not even know all the answers themselves, "they" may still be working out some of the details themselves as we speak.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:09 AM

So as a non-resident of SJP and non-member of the clubs, how do I gain access to the golf course? I see nothing online indicating that is a possibility. I find it hard to believe if I call the clubhouse I will be welcomed and given a starting time.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 AM

So BC, a quick question .... are you a member of the clubs at St James / do you play golf here in St James / do you even live here in St James ?

Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 AM

I believe my post already answered your questions. Want to answer mine?

Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 AM

OK .... so as a non-resident of SJP and therefore a non-member of the clubs ...... why are you so upset / concerned about the operation of the clubs / the sale of the clubs and how it affects paying members ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina