Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 AM

50 posts, read 136,112 times

Advertisements

Food lion is struggling everywhere except for the rural communities and save a lot was in the wrong spot to begin with. It was more of a discount/ food stamp type of experience and Berkeley blvd attracts more "upscale" shoppers from around Wayne county. That's the reason I think a publix would do very well in the old Kmart location and maybe a hobby lobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I'm not. With Carlie C's, Harris Teeter, Food Lion and Walmart already there with Lidl on the way and the possibility of Publix coming, I doubt Aldi would do well in Goldsboro. Food Lion is already struggling there as it is and Save-a-Lot barely lasted 10 years before they closed a few months ago.
As Lidl is coming to Goldsboro, Aldi should not be far behind. Aldi is expanding and updating existing stores and opening additional stores in preparation for Lidl.

Save-A-Lot is an instant loser against Aldi.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I was surprised when I found out that particular Food Lion on Grantham Street had closed. There weren't any other grocery stores in that immediate area. I looked through the News-Argus archives to see if there was any reason given, but there was no article on it.
Walmart Supercenter #4564, Shoppes at Goldsboro, 2908 United States Highway 70 West, Goldsboro, North Carolina 27530-9560, may be easier, fresher, and more affordable. Food Lion #1364, Little River Square, 1322 West Grantham Street, Goldsboro, North Carolina 27530-1162, could not respond to a better grocery retailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117
At the same time, I'm even more surprised that the Food Lion on NC-111 near the US-70 intersection is still open, since Walmart built a Neighborhood Market almost right beside it. I don't expect Food Lion to stick around there for much longer.
Food Lion #1692, South East Plaza, 219 North Carolina Route 111 South, Goldsboro, North Carolina 27534-9253, has been challenged by Walmart Neighborhood Market #7334, 4350 United States Highway 70 East, Goldsboro, North Carolina 27534-9246. I would not be surprised to see Food Lion #1692 close.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcityboi View Post
That's the reason I think a publix would do very well in the old Kmart location and maybe a hobby lobby.
Save-a-Lot's old space would be perfect for a Hobby Lobby. I'd definitely like to see that happen.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Food lion is struggling everywhere except for the rural communities and save a lot was in the wrong spot to begin with. It was more of a discount/ food stamp type of experience and Berkeley blvd attracts more "upscale" shoppers from around Wayne county. That's the reason I think a publix would do very well in the old Kmart location and maybe a hobby lobby.
Food Lion has been struggling in rural trade areas also. Several stores in western North Carolina have shuttered with Ingle's nearby.

If Publix is to come to Goldsboro, where could it open stores? Its initial store could be on either Wayne Memorial Boulevard or North Berkeley Boulevard.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:52 PM

50 posts, read 136,112 times
I have a few places in mind, it seems to me that publix likes to move in old Kmart stores so the berkeley location is plausible. Another is across the street from the new convention center on Wayne memorial that they're building and surprisingly the deacon jones Lincoln ford location off Wayne memorial. Since they're moving in their new location down the highway pretty soon it would be a excellent location. Great visiability from hwy 70 and the traffic from that section of Wayne would be perfect.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Three Publix stores open or under construction in North Carolina are on the sites of former Kmart stores.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I have a few places in mind, it seems to me that publix likes to move in old Kmart stores so the berkeley location is plausible. Another is across the street from the new convention center on Wayne memorial that they're building and surprisingly the deacon jones Lincoln ford location off Wayne memorial. Since they're moving in their new location down the highway pretty soon it would be a excellent location. Great visiability from hwy 70 and the traffic from that section of Wayne would be perfect.
Publix would probably tear down the Kmart building and build a new store from scratch if they located there. That's what they're doing in Greenville at Kmart's old spot.

My pick would be Wayne Memorial Drive across from the new convention center. The new US-70 Goldsboro Bypass will eventually become part of I-42 and the convention center is close to the I-42 interchange while also being close to US-70. Publix could get business from interstate traffic as well as local traffic.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:20 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Quote:
I was surprised when I found out that particular Food Lion on Grantham Street had closed. There weren't any other grocery stores in that immediate area. I looked through the News-Argus archives to see if there was any reason given, but there was no article on it.

At the same time, I'm even more surprised that the Food Lion on NC-111 near the US-70 intersection is still open, since Walmart built a Neighborhood Market almost right beside it. I don't expect Food Lion to stick around there for much longer.

I also agree that Whole Foods won't be coming to Goldsboro anytime soon. Wilmington currently has the only Whole Foods store east of I-95. If Whole Foods were to open up another store east of I-95, it would probably open in Greenville since it's the largest city in eastern NC.
I was surprised that it and the Big Lots that was next to it both closed. I believe one of the two ended up with a Badcock & more furniture store taking its place.

I agree about Whole Foods. Greenville would be a more plausible location for one (even moreso than Fayetteville). The Outer Banks could also be a plausible location for one.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I was surprised that it and the Big Lots that was next to it both closed. I believe one of the two ended up with a Badcock & more furniture store taking its place.
Big Lots is still in Goldsboro. They simply relocated to Berkeley Boulevard in 2010, taking over the space where Goody's used to be. Big Lots wanted a bigger store and they were also worried that there would be less traffic on US-70 once the Goldsboro Bypass was completed. They made the right decision, IMO.

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Big Lots moving from U.S. 70 up to Goody's on North Berkeley

I think Badcock took over Big Lots old space. Food Lion was still open when Badcock moved in. Food Lion closed sometime in the last 2-3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina