Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:26 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

Here is a list of grocery stores in varying grocery retail segments in Wayne County, North Carolina, as of January 2017:

Supermarket
  • Food Lion (6 stores): Goldsboro, Mount Olive, Pikeville
  • Harris Teeter (1 store): Goldsboro
  • Piggly Wiggly (2 stores): Goldsboro, Mount Olive
  • Walmart Neighborhood Market (2 stores): Goldsboro
Hypermarket
Walmart Supercenter (3 stores): Goldsboro, Mount Olive

Wholesale club
Sam's Club (1 store): Goldsboro

Hispanic grocery
Compare Foods/Compare Supermarket Express (1 store): Goldsboro

Coming soon
Limited assortment/discount grocer Lidl will open its first Wayne County store at 2115 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro, North Carolina 27534-1723.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 01:41 PM

324 posts, read 387,686 times
This a topic I have not thought about since (or before) I left Wayne County over 40 years ago.

walessp

Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM

50 posts, read 136,217 times
Publix should really consider Goldsboro. It will give Harris teeter much needed competition.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 PM

I did not include another supermarket on the list.

Supermarket
IGA (includes Carlie C's; 1 store): Goldsboro

Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcityboi View Post
Publix should really consider Goldsboro. It will give Harris teeter much needed competition.
I agree. I do not know if Publix has considered Goldsboro yet. Publix would shake up supermarket participants in Goldsboro. Harris Teeter would have to fine tune store 115, Memorial Commons, 2120 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro, North Carolina 27534-1722. Food Lion could operate fewer stores losing challenges to Publix and Walmart (Walmart Supercenter, Walmart Neighborhood Market).

I am surprised limited assortment/discount grocer Aldi is not in Goldsboro yet.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 AM

50 posts, read 136,217 times
What about a Whole Foods or fresh market in Goldsboro. How well could they do here?

Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 AM

The Fresh Market, a specialty gourmet grocer, could do well for Goldsboro. It is infilling in its footprint with new stores.

I am unsure about specialty organic grocer Whole Foods Market. It has struggled in recent years. I would not mind seeing Earth Fare expand to Goldsboro.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:45 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
-Food Lion used to have another store in Goldsboro off of 795, but it closed a few years ago.

-Harris Teeter is in the process of adding a fuel center to their store. If not open already, it should be open by the end of the month.

-Publix in Goldsboro is plausible, and Fresh Market is somewhat plausible. Goldsboro IMO would have to wait a good while for Whole Foods.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:48 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
-Food Lion used to have another store in Goldsboro off of 795, but it closed a few years ago.

-Harris Teeter is in the process of adding a fuel center to their store. If not open already, it should be open by the end of the month.

-Publix in Goldsboro is plausible, and Fresh Market is somewhat plausible. Goldsboro IMO would have to wait a good while for Whole Foods.
I was surprised when I found out that particular Food Lion on Grantham Street had closed. There weren't any other grocery stores in that immediate area. I looked through the News-Argus archives to see if there was any reason given, but there was no article on it.

At the same time, I'm even more surprised that the Food Lion on NC-111 near the US-70 intersection is still open, since Walmart built a Neighborhood Market almost right beside it. I don't expect Food Lion to stick around there for much longer.

I also agree that Whole Foods won't be coming to Goldsboro anytime soon. Wilmington currently has the only Whole Foods store east of I-95. If Whole Foods were to open up another store east of I-95, it would probably open in Greenville since it's the largest city in eastern NC.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:07 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am surprised limited assortment/discount grocer Aldi is not in Goldsboro yet.
I'm not. With Carlie C's, Harris Teeter, Food Lion and Walmart already there with Lidl on the way and the possibility of Publix coming, I doubt Aldi would do well in Goldsboro. Food Lion is already struggling there as it is and Save-a-Lot barely lasted 10 years before they closed a few months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina