Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 07:57 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times

Advertisements

While it's not something that people would typically want to brag about doing and it's not the most pleasant thought, the fact is that amount of urine in the ocean from a swimmer that couldn't make it to a restroom would be so diluted in such a vast and constantly churning body of water, that it wouldn't be of great consequence. Of course people need to use good judgment in realizing that this isn't a free pass to just use the ocean as a toilet or landfill, but that's not really in the same context as to what the OP has brought up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqR2bLsdhs4

Last edited by Jowel; 03-02-2020 at 08:08 PM..

Old 03-02-2020, 08:26 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
The OP is likely not concerned with peeing or pooping in the Atlantic Ocean. My guess is that it has more to do with "people" using so-called private beaches. Beaches in NC are open to everyone. Period.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:51 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
The OP is likely not concerned with peeing or pooping in the Atlantic Ocean. My guess is that it has more to do with "people" using so-called private beaches. Beaches in NC are open to everyone. Period.
Yep, that appears to be the case.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:06 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
Well, perhaps Bernie and AOC's green new deal may solve all that stuff.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:28 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I haven't joined this discussion, because, frankly, I am more concerned about plastic strangling turtles and birds than I am about organic waste from humans. The plastic lasts for thousands of years.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:36 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I haven't joined this discussion, because, frankly, I am more concerned about plastic strangling turtles and birds than I am about organic waste from humans. The plastic lasts for thousands of years.
I definitely agree with that, but I am also concerned with the beaches of North Carolina belonging to ALL citizens of North Carolina, and the public having public access to the beaches. Two recent court cases have upheld this, so don't be expecting that to change anytime soon and that is as it should be.

People should also pick up their trash, dog poop, dirty diapers, etc.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:12 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Oh, ok, I thought you cared about the extreme environmental damage that is being done to the beaches. At least, thats what you implied. Oh well, i guess not. Carry on then.
I do. I find it interesting that the same cohort who supposedly claims to care about global climate change thinks nothing about and 100% accepts the public pollution of the sensitive coastal environment areas. Why demand public beach access where there are no restrooms? That just begs the public to eliminate body wastes in the fragile coastal ecosystem.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
While it's not something that people would typically want to brag about doing and it's not the most pleasant thought, the fact is that amount of urine in the ocean from a swimmer that couldn't make it to a restroom would be so diluted in such a vast and constantly churning body of water, that it wouldn't be of great consequence. Of course people need to use good judgment in realizing that this isn't a free pass to just use the ocean as a toilet or landfill, but that's not really in the same context as to what the OP has brought up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqR2bLsdhs4
That assumes urine is the only body waste. It isn't.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What would work? There is no publicly owned land available in residential areas to provide public restrooms, so what should be done?

That's a part of the natural environment. Is human body waste contaminating the beach part of the natural environment? From everything I've read, that's an environmental pollutant.

Seems you were already provided the solution, which is the same as the one used for pets. Get a pooper scooper, put it in a bag, then dispose of it properly later. Do dogs and cats need bathroom facilities?

Old 03-03-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Seems you were already provided the solution, which is the same as the one used for pets. Get a pooper scooper, put it in a bag, then dispose of it properly later. Do dogs and cats need bathroom facilities?
Dogs and cats eliminate in public. Is it legal for humans to do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina