Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 06:37 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

It is surprising how many NC public beach accesses have no public restrooms. How does that work? Do beachgoers just pollute the coastal environment with eliminated body wastes, etc.? How does NC handle the problem of heavy beach use without providing access to public restrooms?

Old 03-02-2020, 06:47 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Every beach I'm aware of has public restrooms available, but not necessarily at every access point. One of the great things about NC's beaches is public access. Unlike some states, the public owns the beach from the high tide line to the ocean, and access to the public beach is guaranteed. Thus, most beaches have lots of public access points...Oak Island must have a couple of hundred and Wrightsville Beach has dozens. It would be impractical to place a bathrooms at every access point, so they are located at various points on the beach. Oak Island has 6 public restrooms along the beach, for example. Remember also that many beach goers are staying in houses along the beach, so they can simply walk back there.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Every beach I'm aware of has public restrooms available, but not necessarily at every access point. One of the great things about NC's beaches is public access. Unlike some states, the public owns the beach from the high tide line to the ocean, and access to the public beach is guaranteed. Thus, most beaches have lots of public access points...Oak Island must have a couple of hundred and Wrightsville Beach has dozens. It would be impractical to place a bathrooms at every access point, so they are located at various points on the beach. Oak Island has 6 public restrooms along the beach, for example. Remember also that many beach goers are staying in houses along the beach, so they can simply walk back there.
Exactly. The entire beach in NC is public. There are beach accesses in residential neighborhoods that have no public restrooms. How is the daytripper beachgoing public accommodated at those residential neighborhood beach accesses that have no public restrooms? Local homeowners/renters just return to their homes to use the restroom. What does the public do? Pollute the beach environment?

Old 03-02-2020, 07:05 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. The entire beach in NC is public. There are beach accesses in residential neighborhoods that have no public restrooms. How is the daytripper beachgoing public accommodated at those residential neighborhood beach accesses that have no public restrooms? Local homeowners/renters just return to their homes to use the restroom. What does the public do? Pollute the beach environment?
I thought I explained that. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. They walk a short distance to a public restroom.

Or go while having lunch at a restaurant, or while shopping, etc.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
They walk a short distance to a public restroom. Or go while having lunch at a restaurant, or while shopping, etc.
What if it isn't a short distance to a public restroom or restaurants, shopping, etc., because the beach access is located in a residential area? What is NC's solution for that? Just have daytripper beachgoers pollute the beach environment? This actually is a concern regarding a serious environmental issue.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:15 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,017 times
Informed consent, I don't know how the beachgoing public has survived this issue lo these many decades .... I suggest you run for congress so you can address this monumental public health concern before it's too late .....

Old 03-02-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Informed consent, I don't know how the beachgoing public has survived this issue lo these many decades .... I suggest you run for congress so you can address this monumental public health concern before it's too late .....
They normally access the beach in areas that actually do provide public restrooms within a reasonable walking distance. That all changed when a NC judge ruled that a residential neighborhood without public restrooms had to open their previously HOA CC&R restricted beach access to the public.

Now, the question is... How does NC protect the beach environment when the public has access to areas of the beach that have no public restroom facilities?

Old 03-02-2020, 07:42 AM

569 posts, read 341,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They normally access the beach in areas that actually do provide public restrooms within a reasonable walking distance. That all changed when a NC judge ruled that a residential neighborhood without public restrooms had to open their previously HOA CC&R restricted beach access to the public.

Now, the question is... How does NC protect the beach environment when the public has access to areas of the beach that have no public restroom facilities?
They don't. On rare occasions, folks may have to pee in the ocean. That may contribute to the warming of the oceans, melting icebergs etc. and maybe that's the cause of global warming. Thanks for bring up this important topic.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,017 times
Mr Raleigh .... I believe you just might have something there .... it's contributing to "global warming" ... however, I believe a few more degrees in the ocean might be welcomed on cooler days .... peeing in the ocean just may be a welcome blessing in disguise instead of an environmental catastrophe as some may suggest.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
They don't. On rare occasions, folks may have to pee in the ocean. That may contribute to the warming of the oceans, melting icebergs etc. and maybe that's the cause of global warming. Thanks for bring up this important topic.
What about defecation in a delicate coastal environment as well as feminine hygiene product elimination? No nearby public restrooms, public trash cans, or their collection, etc. That's a recipe for environmental disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina