Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 13,152 times

Advertisements

Yes, I did visit the campus myself. And I loved it, which is why I applied and am planning on going there. My family and I did the best that we could to visit the surrounding areas too, but while short on time, we figured we'd make another visit after I applied and got accepted. The surrounding areas that we saw, did not look bad to me, except for this one particular area. But all cities have a ghetto. After reading the posts on here though, it looked as if the WHOLE city was ghetto, and my family and I only saw the "nice" parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,912,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiamay View Post
Yes, I did visit the campus myself. And I loved it, which is why I applied and am planning on going there. My family and I did the best that we could to visit the surrounding areas too, but while short on time, we figured we'd make another visit after I applied and got accepted. The surrounding areas that we saw, did not look bad to me, except for this one particular area. But all cities have a ghetto. After reading the posts on here though, it looked as if the WHOLE city was ghetto, and my family and I only saw the "nice" parts.
The town of Greenville overall is pretty nice. It's just like any other city which also has it flaws. G-ville is a growing city and you will have more trouble with traffic than anything else.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,441 times
I don't want to discourage you from going because my brother went and the majority of people who go to ECU love it, but I went for a semester and transferred, with safety being a big issue. There are shootings there practically everyday (I exaggerate, but you know what I mean) and I lived off-campus, like the majority of students, and during my one semester there were 2 shootings at a fast-food restaurant across from my apartment. While walking downtown by myself one night I had a hobo come out from an alleyway, point at his crotch, and ask if I needed a ride. And I'm a guy, not sure what gender you are, but if you're a girl I imagine it will be even worse. There are numerous rapes in the town, and I believe there was one rape on campus. The campus is located in between a very nice section of town with large frat houses and whatnot then on the other side is a disgusting ghetto where you can easily find pimps with their prostitutes on practically every corner. Honestly, if someone were to offer me a mansion and 10 million dollars to live in Greenville the rest of my life, I wouldn't even take it. As far as ECU's campus goes, I can't say much because I didn't live there, but from my time on campus with friends and going to class, I can say the campus is very beautiful, it's designed almost like its own little in the middle of Greenville. The majority of it is gated and I never felt unsafe while on campus. However, off campus, I always talked to someone on my cell when walking the streets just to be safe. I don't want to live in a city where I feel like I can't be alone without getting mugged or murdered for 4 years.

It's up to you. A lot of people love the school so they deal with the crime, but in general I wasn't too fond of the school, the people I met were very stuck up and unfriendly and the academics were subpar. Also the administration screwed up my records because I transferred in dual enrollment college courses. I had to go get a second transcript because they lost mine and put my records on hold and didn't inform me of this until it was time to register for classes. The after I turned the transcript in I had to wait 2 weeks before they put them in the system and by that time all the classes I needed were filled up and my advisor, who forgot our appointment and left me waiting for an hour, said she wouldn't special add me because it was all my fault and I should have turned the transcript in when I was supposed to, even though I did. I'm telling you this not to discourage you, but to show you what I went through. As I said many people love it there but the city was too dangerous and ghetto, people were too snobby, classes too easy, and administration way too incompetent.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:41 PM

451 posts, read 1,913,656 times
When I was at NC State, there were several assaults, robberies, and crimes on campus. No matter where you go to school, it's always best to use common sense and if you are on the go at night, try and go in groups.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,922 times
Default Safety

I do understand your part. One thing we should always remember that no matter what place or country we want to go crime issue is always there. So the best thing to do is to have a safety device like a cell phone-based personal security application. That with one press of a panic button it simultaneously alerts and mobilizes a selected group of friends and family members when you are in trouble and get immediate response.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-11-2010 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: no links from posters with less than 10 posts

Old 11-11-2010, 03:04 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Personally I'd be more concerned with the fact that the ECU student body has the highest std rate in the country and taking out loans/wasting mom & dad's money paying out of state tuition at a safety school. But to each his/her own.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Personally I'd be more concerned with the fact that the ECU student body has the highest std rate in the country and taking out loans/wasting mom & dad's money paying out of state tuition at a safety school. But to each his/her own.
Pretty much my sentiments. I would say you have more to fear from liver failure due to excessive drinking/partying than from the criminal elements in G-Vegas.

In fact, it is kinda Darwinism at work...if you do something stupid, you may well get selected out. Don't due stupid stuff (no matter how old you are) and you will be fine. Thank my later.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Personally I'd be more concerned with the fact that you're spewing crap with no facts to back it up. Congrats on writing absolute crap with zero basis.

Look I can write stereotypes as well, only rednecks go to State and homosexuals go to UNC. Woo look at me.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Nah, look up the public health reports from the Pitt Co. health dept. and the state's county-by-county stats. Controlling for similar ratios of college to non-college population, socioeconomic distribution, etc. Pitt Co. has one of the highest per capita rates of STD infection in the state and there's no other explanation beside ECU. It's been documented for a long time and it's a serious public health issue, which despite a number of efforts has yet to be effectively tackled.

Likewise, their undergraduate acceptance rate up through the turn of the century was upwards of 90%. Expansion of the Pell Grant and easing FAFSA restrictions as part of financial reform in the past decade, along with the overall continued transition from a manufacturing to a service-based economy has caused a massive uptick in university applications and accordingly lowered the school's acceptance rate down to about 75% where it currently sits. That's not to say many of their programs, such as music, education, and the medical school (which is a separate entity entirely) aren't very good, which they are. But that considering the OP has concerns about Greenville, some of which are a bit unfounded, it would be wise to dispel those while informing him/her of more immediate. real, and pressing concerns, especially considering the state of the economy and the relative competitiveness of undergraduate schools.

Obviously the decision to invest one's time and money into pursuing post-secondary education is a personal matter, but it would be a disservice to not adequately inform someone who has questions or concerns if you are able to do so.

Also, your stereotypes need updating. Homosexuals go to UNCG, angry, frustrated shut-in engineers and computer science students go to State, and rich kids from New Jersey who didn't have the grades for Duke go to Carolina.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,656 times
Quote:
angry, frustrated shut-in engineers and computer science students go to State
as an engineer, I resemble this comment. Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina