Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 03:42 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Your own rhetoric points out the absurdness of the BCS.

Boise plays in the WAC. Can't do anything about that. We move to the MWC, but they lose Utah and BYU so is it really an improvement? Again, can't do anything about that.

We've improved our OOC games as much as we can.

You say that the best we can and should hope for is a BCS game. We've been to two and won both. Utah has been to two and won both.

So, let's assume we go undefeated and win our BCS game again this year. That would be 3 years we've been undefeated. 4 years out of 5.

You're basically saying, "sorry Boise but there is a ceiling on how far you can go because you play in a weak conference."

If that's the logic you and the BCS crowd are advancing, the BCS is toast. Guaranteed. And we'll find that out this year if an undefeated Boise gets passed up again without a compelling reason (say, an undefeated SEC and Big 10 team).

The rest of your post is, well... speculative garbage, which is all college football is, really, without a playoff. Teams are positioned based on a flawed preseason ranking. Everyone knows this, yet we don't do anything about it. But it is what it is, and Boise State can only play the cards dealt to them.

So continue to hate on knowing there isn't a thing you can do about whether Boise State goes to the NC game or not.
It's also not other team's fault you play in the WAC so forgive me for not caring that you beat San Jose State. In the last page and half you've affirmed every point I was trying to make about Boise State fans: whine and cry about respect and fairness while dismissing all valid BSU criticism as biased or flawed logic.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
It's also not other team's fault you play in the WAC so forgive me for not caring that you beat San Jose State. In the last page and half you've affirmed every point I was trying to make about Boise State fans: whine and cry about respect and fairness while dismissing all valid BSU criticism as biased or flawed logic.
Whine. Lulz.

Just pointing out the flaws in your system. Any one with a noodle has figured this out - it's just taken the Boise State and Utah's to make it glaringly obvious to the dullards.

Coaches know it, players know it, writers know it, legislators know it, Obama knows it, and most sports fans realize it. The only ones that don't (or don't care to) are the ones that profit from an inequitable system (television stations and certain universities and their coaches).

It's fairly simple, actually. But hey, if you want to be the lone idiot clamoring for a new division for the nonAQ (call it FBS DII) then go for it, because if certain scenarios fall into place, that's pretty much what the BCS is.

No one is saying an undefeated Boise deserves a spot over an undefeated SEC, Big 12, or Big 10 school. Heck, most people don't think we deserve a spot over a one-loss SEC team. The respect for the SEC is ubiquitous. It's the other one loss teams that is the worry.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Whine. Lulz.

Just pointing out the flaws in your system. Any one with a noodle has figured this out - it's just taken the Boise State and Utah's to make it glaringly obvious to the dullards.

Coaches know it, players know it, writers know it, legislators know it, Obama knows it, and most sports fans realize it. The only ones that don't (or don't care to) are the ones that profit from an inequitable system (television stations and certain universities and their coaches).

It's fairly simple, actually. But hey, if you want to be the lone idiot clamoring for a new division for the nonAQ (call it FBS DII) then go for it, because if certain scenarios fall into place, that's pretty much what the BCS is.

No one is saying an undefeated Boise deserves a spot over an undefeated SEC, Big 12, or Big 10 school. Heck, most people don't think we deserve a spot over a one-loss SEC team. The respect for the SEC is ubiquitous. It's the other one loss teams that is the worry.
Oh please, stay on topic. I never said a non-AQ can't play for the NC and I never mentioned Utah. This is strictly about BSU's lack of merit, which Nevergoingback so kindly illustrated. The system is what it is, but don't act it was created to spite you. If anything, the BCS has been much kinder to BSU than the old two-poll system would've been. You never would've seen a New Year's Day bowl under the old system. Quit playing the victim.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Since 2000. Boise has played 9 road games against BCS conference schools. They are 1-8 in those 9 games.

01 @ S.Carolina LOSS
00 @ Arkansas LOSS
00 @ Washington State LOSS
02 @ Arkansas LOSS
03 @ Oregon State LOSS
05 @ Georgia LOSS
05 @ Oregon State LOSS
07 @ Washington LOSS
08 @ Oregon WIN

Pretty impressive stuff, for sure.

They have 1 road win over a BCS team and 2 neutral site wins over BCS teams. Oregon, Vtech, and OU. It is amazing how much hype they get for how little they have actually done.
Wow. You'll never hear that on the SEC channel, I mean ESPN.

With the exception of the 08 Oregon I don't remember any of those teams being a top ranked squad. They are losing to middle of the road BCS schools much more than they are winning.

I think Georgia won the SEC in 2005. Then lost the Sugar Bowl to WVU. If I remember correctly.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:08 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Since 2000. Boise has played 9 road games against BCS conference schools. They are 1-8 in those 9 games.

01 @ S.Carolina LOSS
00 @ Arkansas LOSS
00 @ Washington State LOSS
02 @ Arkansas LOSS
03 @ Oregon State LOSS
05 @ Georgia LOSS
05 @ Oregon State LOSS
07 @ Washington LOSS
08 @ Oregon WIN

Pretty impressive stuff, for sure.

They have 1 road win over a BCS team and 2 neutral site wins over BCS teams. Oregon, Vtech, and OU. It is amazing how much hype they get for how little they have actually done.
Since 2000 the Bowling Green Falcons have played 16 road games against BCS conference schools. They are 7-9 in those games.

With wins over Missouri, Northwestern, Kansas, Pittsburgh, and Purdue.

Maybe my Falcons should get more respect than they do.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:10 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Oh please, stay on topic. I never said a non-AQ can't play for the NC and I never mentioned Utah. This is strictly about BSU's lack of merit, which Nevergoingback so kindly illustrated. The system is what it is, but don't act it was created to spite you. If anything, the BCS has been much kinder to BSU than the old two-poll system would've been. You never would've seen a New Year's Day bowl under the old system. Quit playing the victim.
Actually, I'd agree with him. That is exactly what you're saying. Your logic is extremely silly.

Also, BYU actually WON a national championship under the old system... New Years Day bowl or not.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Wow. You'll never hear that on the SEC channel, I mean ESPN.

With the exception of the 08 Oregon I don't remember any of those teams being a top ranked squad. They are losing to middle of the road BCS schools much more than they are winning.

I think Georgia won the SEC in 2005. Then lost the Sugar Bowl to WVU. If I remember correctly.
Put it in a little context. Boise moved to DI in 1996. Then to the WAC in 2001. You really expect them to beat SEC teams with a few years under their belt?

The two Oregon State losses, while they are indeed losses, were close games that both ended in controversial calls. See the following links:

Boise State Broncos vs. Oregon State Beavers - Recap - September 10, 2005 - ESPN
Boise State Broncos vs. Oregon State Beavers - Recap - September 20, 2003 - ESPN

Georgia absolutely crushed us and really set the program back.

However, since Coach Petersen took over we've improved dramatically and have had steady upward momentum since we beat Oklahoma. 2007 was a down year for us, dropping a close game to a really bad Washington team and then losing to Hawaii and East Carolina in a bowl game. 2008 we ran the table but lost a close game (1 point) to TCU. Last year we again ran the table and beat TCU.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
In reality the argument is pretty silly. There will probably be two undefeated teams besides Boise this year. So there is no way Boise will play for a national championship this year.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:22 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Put it in a little context. Boise moved to DI in 1996. Then to the WAC in 2001. You really expect them to beat SEC teams with a few years under their belt?

The two Oregon State losses, while they are indeed losses, were close games that both ended in controversial calls. See the following links:

Boise State Broncos vs. Oregon State Beavers - Recap - September 10, 2005 - ESPN
Boise State Broncos vs. Oregon State Beavers - Recap - September 20, 2003 - ESPN

Georgia absolutely crushed us and really set the program back.

However, since Coach Petersen took over we've improved dramatically and have had steady upward momentum since we beat Oklahoma. 2007 was a down year for us, dropping a close game to a really bad Washington team and then losing to Hawaii and East Carolina in a bowl game. 2008 we ran the table but lost a close game (1 point) to TCU. Last year we again ran the table and beat TCU.
1996? Really? I knew Boise State was fairly new to FBS but not THAT new....

Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Actually, I'd agree with him. That is exactly what you're saying. Your logic is extremely silly.

Also, BYU actually WON a national championship under the old system... New Years Day bowl or not.
Wow, Boisefan88 agrees with a pro Boise State post? Who would've guessed.

It doesn't really matter if you agree with him or not because I never once said a non AQ can't, or shouldn't, play for a NC. Before the VaTech game I even said BSU should get a shot under the right circumstances this season. However, a lot has changed since then and I no longer think they deserve it based on the limited info we have after three weeks.

I have no problem with BYU but their NC was a joke. What'd the beat, a 6-6 Michigan team? I stand by what I said, the BCS has been much kinder to Boise State than the old system would've. Boise State wouldn't have played in either of their Fiesta Bowls under the old system. This is a fact.

I have no problem with the team, I've said that numerous times. I've also said they're a good team and put them in my top ten. My problem is the fans and their overinflated sense of accomplishment and entitlement. The teams resume is not as impressive as you try to make it sound. Hell, you're talking about close losses to Oregon State and University of Washington. Not impressed.

BCS game worthy? Sure.

National Championship? Not a chance.

Good luck this weekend on your last game of the regular season.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 09-22-2010 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football