Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times

Advertisements

One loss ACC does not get in over Boise State, but a no loss ACC team does.

I'm not so sure an undefeated PAC 10 school gets in. Let's be frank - that team can only be Oregon, and I'm not sure the voters put Oregon in over Boise State considering we beat them the last two years.

However, I will add... if any team gets in over Boise State this year I do hope it is the PAC 10 champ, because that leaves a slot open in the Rose Bowl. I'd love to see Boise State in the Rose Bowl.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:03 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post

However, I will add... if any team gets in over Boise State this year I do hope it is the PAC 10 champ, because that leaves a slot open in the Rose Bowl. I'd love to see Boise State in the Rose Bowl.
I'm pretty sure that slot would still belong to the Pac10.

Edit; I see that they have changed the qualifications for the Rose Bowl this year (through 2014). Boise could be eligible. Heh, that would be funny. Pac10/Big10 honks lost their mind when OU went there and won it.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 09-10-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 03:18 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
One loss ACC does not get in over Boise State, but a no loss ACC team does.

I'm not so sure an undefeated PAC 10 school gets in. Let's be frank - that team can only be Oregon, and I'm not sure the voters put Oregon in over Boise State considering we beat them the last two years.

You've gotta remember that the BCS is a mixture of human polls at computer polls.

Lets say Boise is undefeated, and ranked 2nd in the human polls. But then suppose there's a 1-loss team from the ACC (or any of the AQ-BCS conferences) that is ranked 3rd in the coaches polls. The computers would probably have Boise back a few slots due to weaker schedule, and that could actually push the other team ahead of them overall in the BCS standings once they average the computer and human polls. It's happened before.

I'm not sure what I'd think in that scenario. Boise definitely is a talented team and has done everything their schedule has asked of them (including beating my Hokies fair-n-square), but it does get tough to argue against another team that may have beaten several ranked teams over the course of the season. Not that Boise couldn't, but you just don't know.

Who knows, one of these days the BCS system will finally implode on itself, and we'll have to see how things shake out at the end of the year. Boise could definitely make it interesting though if they run their schedule, and they should.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM

369 posts, read 776,943 times
People here are getting way ahead of themselves. Yes Boise beat a very good Virginia Tech team (even tho V-tech slept thru the first quarter). But it's a long season, 11 more games, some will be cake walks but football is such a violent sport and injuries do happen. I'm not a bronco hater, nor a fan, but honestly it is too soon to speculate things like bowl games and national championships (altho it can be fun). Good luck Boise.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
People here are getting way ahead of themselves. Yes Boise beat a very good Virginia Tech team (even tho V-tech slept thru the first quarter). But it's a long season, 11 more games, some will be cake walks but football is such a violent sport and injuries do happen. I'm not a bronco hater, nor a fan, but honestly it is too soon to speculate things like bowl games and national championships (altho it can be fun). Good luck Boise.
We know, but like you said, the speculation is fun

Old 09-10-2010, 05:26 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
We know, but like you said, the speculation is fun
To me, this is what makes college football the best sport on Earth. WE WILL HAVE THIS DISCUSSION all year. No other sport has essentially a 120 team playoff, each playing 12-13 games. I love it. The intensity, the passion...I'm getting way too excited. Good night now.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:27 PM

513 posts, read 541,479 times
People seem to forget that, yes, Boise St. has a softer conference schedule than say Ohio St or Alabama, but for Boise St. every game is a "championship game". If they slip up once, that's it for any championship game hopes. Even if they win out, every win will be scrutinized to death.

OSU/Bama et. al do get the luxury of having a loss overlooked. I was at the Tennessee/Alabama game last year and if a nose tackle named Cody doesn't block those field goal tries, the Vols win that game. But 'Bama would have not have suddenly dropped 15 places in the rankings, would they??

Old 09-10-2010, 06:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
To me, this is what makes college football the best sport on Earth. WE WILL HAVE THIS DISCUSSION all year. No other sport has essentially a 120 team playoff, each playing 12-13 games. I love it. The intensity, the passion...I'm getting way too excited. Good night now.
* One thing I hate is how they lie to you and say "every regular season game is a playoff".... Ok. Then tell that to the MAC, WAC, C-USA, and Mountain West schools who, for the most part, play their best just to get to a December 30th bowl game. What if there are 5 undefeated schools at the end of the year (and it IS possible)? How do you determine who's really #1? Lemmie guess.... "strength of schedule"?

I don't know if you are one, but I just don't get you BCS supporters. Why support something that's so obviously corrupt and greedy? If a sport needs people and fans to argue over who's #1 and who truly deserves a shot at a title without any REAL way of seeing who's who and have someone pick the teams to play in a championship game, then that's NOT a sport, it's a Miss Universe competition.

I LOVE college football.... and because of that, I HATE the BCS system.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:24 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
I'm not 100% sure if I think the system is perfect, or if I would like to see an 8 team playoff. I've tried to work it out before...but it's hard. These ARE supposed to be student athletes. That's a lot of extra football, as well. Also...then we'd bicker about 9 and 10.

How would you correct the system?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
A bit of a digression, but as I watch this Houston / UTEP game I can't help but think that I want to see Boise matched up with the Cougars. It's difficult to judge watching them play UTEP, of course, but I'm not at all sure that U of H wouldn't win that game by two touchdowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football