Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times

Advertisements

It is kind of funny to attack boises academics ..... even suggest that guys can get in there without qualifying with the NCAA ...... not possible, there aren't separate NCAA rules for who qualifies in D1 .... it's not BCS schools are X and everyone else is X-1 ... players either qualify or they don't

and many major programs spend much money to ensure guys qualify ... it's part of their recruiting draw in some instances .... we have the resources to keep you playing through specific academic assistance

i also agree that many of the big conferences have built in easy opponents ... they just have a different name to them .... funny the gophers were mentioned, they recently lost to a FCS team at home

teams like fresno go across the country and beat up on virginia - but ACC teams will get more credit for having to play a big school like virginia

boise is about 1 big game short of most conferences in their scheduling .... the soft is a lot more soft - but it's not like there is a world of difference between them beating up on some WAC bottom feeder or looking at team like washington state

Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Yes. Ohio State is a known overrated team. What were the scores of the title games they were in? Boise State can't get a fair shake because programs like OSU and Bama refuse to play them. Only VT answered Boise's challenge. That's proof enough for me.
Actually, if you look at rankings from the preseason to the end of season you will find Ohio State has finished lower than they started three times in the last 10 years. And they finished the season higher than they started 7 times. So yeah, they are always overranked. Two of the years they dropped they finished one spot lower than they began. So yeah, you're right, OSU is way overrated. LOLs.

Where is the proof Boise has ever attempted to play Ohio State? Please let me know. I know for fact that Boise has never contacted Ohio State about playing a football game. Never. Since 1945 Ohio State has lost one game to a "mid-major" 1984 to Air Force.

They have scheduled Texas, USC, Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee, CAL, VaTech and plenty others in the last few years. But you're right. They are scared to play Boise. LOLs.

And this thread is about Boise. If you want to talk about Ohio State you should begin another thread.

P.S. I'm waiting for proof that Ohio State has "ducked" Boise. Or anyone else for that matter.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
That game was given to OSU by the officials if I recall that game correctly.
You recall incorrectly.

Watch the tape on Youtube. The Miami guy was holding Chris Gamble at the line of scrimmage. He also face masked him. It's clear as day.

Miami got 5 or 6 questionable calls. Including one right after the one everyone ******* about.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:53 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
It would be funny if VA Tech won the ACC and Cincinnati repeated as Big East champ. We'd have two BCS conference champions with losses to WAC schools [Fresno beat Cincinnati 28-14 Saturday.]
It would be similar to last year, BSU beat Oregon in the opener, and Oregon won the Pac-10. But everyone had excuses about Oregon's play in that first game game. It comes down to BSU beat Oregon two years in a row, once on the road once at home. Now they beat VT.

The commissioner of the WAC has stated that it is very difficult for BSU to schedule non-conference games. The big schools just don't want to lose in a non-conference game, they have little to gain by beating BSU, but a lot to lose by losing to them. Whether or not they have ever tried to play Ohio State, I'm not sure.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Before I am accused of being a Boise State hater. Here is why I would be very unlikely to think they are deserving of a national title game.

WAC record against other conferences from 2000-2009

Conference USA 12-9
Sun Belt 34-35
Mountain West 37-59
Big Ten 8-17
ACC 3-8
PAC Ten 18-67
Big Twelve 6-28
Big East 1-5
SEC 2-32

No doubt Boise has a good team. But given that the vast majority of their games against are against inferior competition as compared to the other conferences it is impossible to tell how good.

Top 15? Yes
Top 2? No

If Boise was sitting undefeated and all other teams had 2 losses I would let them in. If Boise was sitting undefeated and we had a 11-1 Alabama and an 11-1 Oklahoma I wouldn't let Boise in.

The last sentence was not football related and was deleted.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-27-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 05:10 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,884 times
I'm not going to go as far and say that Boise State players are any less intelligent than other schools. I will say that, yes, there are absolutely schools out there that have higher standards of admission even for athletes. Both Stanford and Notre Dame both require their athletes to qualify to get into schools. The Pac-10 generally has higher standards than many conferences. In fact, I know Oregon has had more than a few D-Linemen not qualify and have moved on to other schools in other conferences. One such linemen was named Myles Wade, who did not qualify and ended up at a Big 12 school. Now, we aren't talking Harvard, but we aren't talking Basketweaver State either.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,667 times
The quote was removed as it was not football related.

You could be right, but I think it has more to do with the fact that even though BSU could possibly win the conference in football, they're not so good in other sports. Basketball is abysmal, and they don't even have a baseball team. The softball team is only in its second year of existence.

Wrestling at BSU already competes in the Pac-10 though.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-27-2010 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
Salt Lake City plus Denver = $$$$

not academics

The teams they grabbed are good markets, with more well rounded athletic programs and larger reaches

Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Before I am accused of being a Boise State hater. Here is why I would be very unlikely to think they are deserving of a national title game.

WAC record against other conferences from 2000-2009

Conference USA 12-9
Sun Belt 34-35
Mountain West 37-59
Big Ten 8-17
ACC 3-8
PAC Ten 18-67
Big Twelve 6-28
Big East 1-5
SEC 2-32

No doubt Boise has a good team. But given that the vast majority of their games against are against inferior competition as compared to the other conferences it is impossible to tell how good.

Top 15? Yes
Top 2? No

If Boise was sitting undefeated and all other teams had 2 losses I would let them in. If Boise was sitting undefeated and we had a 11-1 Alabama and an 11-1 Oklahoma I wouldn't let Boise in.

The last sentence was removed as it was not football related.
Gotta agree with your logic.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-27-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 05:28 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
You could be right, but I think it has more to do with the fact that even though BSU could possibly win the conference in football, they're not so good in other sports. Basketball is abysmal, and they don't even have a baseball team. The softball team is only in its second year of existence.

Wrestling at BSU already competes in the Pac-10 though.
This was brought up and has been rehashed by many of the regulars here way before the expansion ordeal. Being one of the few Pac-10 alums on this board, I will say it is without question a fact that BSU's academics are no where near the level they need to be at to even be considered for admission to the Pac-10. This is in addition to the lack of a TV market in Boise area.

You are talking about large research universities such as Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Washington that are all highly ranked schools. The second tier schools in the Pac-10 are still very good schools that have programs that lead the nation. For example, Oregon, many would consider a solid but far from great school. However, Oregon has the following schools/programs that are in or at the top of the nation: Education, Sports Marketing and Management, Journalism, Architecture to name the largest that have had major influence in the U.S.

So, no, sorry, Boise would never be considered and it really has nothing to do with sports with poor old Boise.

Here are some other reasons discussed a while back

//www.city-data.com/forum/footb...ignment-3.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football