Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 11:57 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You know, all you mentioned were Sandusky and Paterno. What about the guys up on perjury charges, are they being lynched too?

I just hear a lot of comments from the PSU fans complaining about their treatment and they are constantly trying to spin spin spin that it was just Sandusky, just the one bad apple....
People still under the threat of possible legal action can defnd themselves in open court, but since a dead man can't be put on trial in real life, he can be tried and convicted via the media, all the more easily when the charges are heinous and a living perpetraor can be simultaneously tried and his deeds projected onto the inteded target of the "mob justice".

The attempts at refuting my point in the previous two posts involved less than 100 worsds --- the original Post #1 contains about a dozen.

Which proves the point that a lot of people were "introduced" to this controversy with their minds already made up for them.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-21-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
People still under the threat of possible legal action can defnd themselves in open court, but since a dead man can't be put on trial in real life, he can be tried and convicted via the media, all the more easily when the charges are heinous and a living perpetraor can be simultaneously tried and his deeds projected onto the inteded target of the "mob justice".

The attempts at refuting my point in the previous two posts involved less than 100 worsds --- the original Post #1 contains about a dozen.

Which proves the point that a lot of people were "introduced" to this controversy with their minds already made up for them.
What do you mean minds made up? I was on the record early giving Joe Pa the benefit of the doubt.

Then I saw the email exchanges (the ones that lead to the perjury charges).

I'm again reiterating that it's transparant to me that people want to make it only about Sandusky and REFUSE to address the penn state officials up on perjury charges and their emails which incriminate them and Paterno.

A lot of general handwaving about witch-hunts and mob justice while ignoring those key points and then accusing others of being biased is laughably ironic.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:26 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
At age 63, still holding a job with occasional overtime, I don't have the chance to read every shred of evidence, but, with the exception of some secondary communications,what E-mail evidence I've seen was originated by other figures in the scandal, not by Paterno himself. The image of an octogenarian hunched over a keyboard, desperately trying to shore up a conspiracy, is ridiculous in and of itself; but this is precisely what the accusers were motivated to do in the earliest hours after the story broke.

And it's a pretty safe bet that if such a "smoking gun" existed, it would become a Holy Grail for the people who, for a number of diverse reasons, tried to organize a lynch mob.

No one is denying Joe Paterno made serious mistakes; in doing so, he destroyed the legacy that should have been his greatest source of satisfaction in his last days. But those actions have deliberately and repeatedly been distorted and presented out of context by a group with a agenda of its own.

As previously noted, the biggest misdeeds here should probably been laid at the door of the hypesters who played upon a legend which they similarly chose to blow out of all proportion. Not too many of the PSU alumni who have borne an undeserved share of the shame from this incident will shed any tears when they get what's coming to them.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
, I don't have the chance to read every shred of evidence, but, with the exception of some secondary communications,what E-mail evidence I've seen was originated by other figures in the scandal, not by Paterno himself. The image of an octogenarian hunched over a keyboard, desperately trying to shore up a conspiracy, is ridiculous in and of itself; but this is precisely what the accusers were motivated to do in the earliest hours after the story broke.

And it's a pretty safe bet that if such a "smoking gun" existed, it would become a Holy Grail for the people who, for a number of diverse reasons, tried to organize a lynch mob.

No one is denying Joe Paterno made serious mistakes; in doing so, he destroyed the legacy that should have been his greatest source of satisfaction in his last days. But those actions have deliberately and repeatedly been distorted and presented out of context by a group with a agenda of its own.

As previously noted, the biggest misdeeds here should probably been laid at the door of the hypesters who played upon a legend which they similarly chose to blow out of all proportion. Not too many of the PSU alumni who have borne an undeserved share of the shame from this incident will shed any tears when they get what's coming to them.
Wow. Oh brother, that's just sad.

You keep hand-waving conspiracy while blaming the bulk of it on everybody else......
While of course admitting Paterno made mistakes, you are doing so much handwaving your arms just caught fire along with your pants.

I don't even understand you vauguely threatening last sentence.....you planning on gunning down members of the media or something?

Pretty much, if I were a PSU alum and read this, I would CRINGE at those comments especially considering Joe didn't use the computer much, the emails communicated his wishes post meeting per the PSU administration.

But hey, ignore everything and pray to Joe tonight for our forgiveness.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Why is this thread still live? Hes dead, whats his name is going to jail, Penn state will be screwed for the next 10 years. Nothing else matters.
Agreed. And all the hick "pick-up truck alumni"* will be depressed for as long as they are screwed.

* term learned in ATL to describe rabid UGa, Auburn, and Crimson Tide fans who wouldn't know a degree if one bit them in the ass.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wow. Oh brother, that's just sad.

You keep hand-waving conspiracy while blaming the bulk of it on everybody else......
While of course admitting Paterno made mistakes, you are doing so much handwaving your arms just caught fire along with your pants.

I don't even understand you vauguely threatening last sentence.....you planning on gunning down members of the media or something?

Pretty much, if I were a PSU alum and read this, I would CRINGE at those comments especially considering Joe didn't use the computer much, the emails communicated his wishes post meeting per the PSU administration.

But hey, ignore everything and pray to Joe tonight for our forgiveness.
Yes, that's pretty sick there are still those who think that criticizing Paterno is a worse "misdeed" than Sandusky raping little kids and the school powers - including JoePa - clearly allowing him to get away with it for over a decade. Absolutely telling how morally corrupt & blind that cult of the personality is for many PSU fans.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 AM

44 posts, read 70,166 times
People who continue to stick up for Paterno are doing so for a simple reason--at a minimum, his role in this "scandal" has been grossly overplayed in the media. And there is so much inaccurate reporting on his role in this to paint him in a bad light it is criminal.

Again, Joe Paterno did not "cover" for Sandusky. How did I reach that conclusion?

1. There is absolutely no evidence to indicate that he did
2. He had no incentive to do so
3. It is in direct conflict with everything the man did and stood for in his 80+ years on this Earth
4. He reported what he knew about the incident to his superiors, as he was supposed to do as directed by University procedures (this in particular is the polar opposite of a cover-up)
5. He stated time and time again, both in public comments AND documented PRIVATE conversations that he did not know what Sandusky really was

But you all that want to buy into the media narrative of what happened here can continue to do so.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 AM

And you Paterno fans can believe what he said and continue to stick your heads in the sand.

Not many outside the State College crowd who have followed the scandal buy it for one minute.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 AM

44 posts, read 70,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
And you Paterno fans can believe what he said and continue to stick your heads in the sand.

Not many outside the State College crowd who have followed the scandal buy it for one minute.
"Followed" the scandal how? By listening to the grandstanding hacks on ESPN?

I find that the "State College crowd" are the ones who have actually read the Freeh report, read up on Governor Corbett and his ties to this scandal, and know more about the parties involved in all of this. The more information people have about all of this, the more people can see how unfairly Paterno has been treated.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM

In any case, let me be the first to congratulate PSU on y'all's first two wins since 1998.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football