Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bane1976 View Post
check out how many players decomitted to florida after they kept their coach.
:d:d:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Really Texas?!

I'm afraid of what they'll dream up to pair with "hook 'em"

Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
That stupid T-shirt disappeared as fast as it came out.

Texas sports board posters totally ripped on it and the idiot who produced such an abomination.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
New coach is super serial Mmmkay.

Strong expectations:

1. Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.

2. No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.

3. If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.

4. No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.

5. Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.

6. The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.

7. There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.

8. Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.

9. The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.

10. Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.

11. "I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/...#comment_tease

This should weed out some the underachievers they've had in the past.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-14-2014 at 08:26 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,054 times
In theory, all those rules sound great. However it's all a dog and pony show to correct public perception that Texas players are lazy, entitled thugs and also that the program became complacent under Mack Brown. Additionally, I am not sure how the school can buy the players out of their of campus living situations. This seems like a serious violation of NCAA rules, and student athletes cannot be treated preferentially over regular students. Tell me, why would a school buy out regular old Joe Blow's apartment lease?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
In theory, all those rules sound great. However it's all a dog and pony show to correct public perception that Texas players are lazy, entitled thugs and also that the program became complacent under Mack Brown. Additionally, I am not sure how the school can buy the players out of their of campus living situations. This seems like a serious violation of NCAA rules, and student athletes cannot be treated preferentially over regular students. Tell me, why would a school buy out regular old Joe Blow's apartment lease?
Yeah, buying out a students off campus lease seems non compliant. There was sarcasm in the beginning of my post. Reminds me of Mike Singletary and SF. This probably won't end well. Lol.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
"Public perception" "entitled thugs" - you can say that about most any D1 program. It's been several years since UT had a lot of trouble with excessive arrests.

"Lazy" - you nailed that one.

Student players living off campus get a housing "allowance" as a part of their scholarship. It works that way most everywhere. If the already have a lease, I see nothing wrong with the athletic department buying it out and making the player move back to the dorm.
If anything, it's a benefit for the landlord who can get double cash flow by re-leasing the now empty apartment to someone else.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 PM

Any truth that Strong got rid of 24 players when he took over Louisville? If that's true there's gonna be a housecleaning of entitled non performers down in Austin. Strong might just get it done. Eventually.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
"Public perception" "entitled thugs" - you can say that about most any D1 program. It's been several years since UT had a lot of trouble with excessive arrests.

"Lazy" - you nailed that one.

Student players living off campus get a housing "allowance" as a part of their scholarship. It works that way most everywhere. If the already have a lease, I see nothing wrong with the athletic department buying it out and making the player move back to the dorm.
If anything, it's a benefit for the landlord who can get double cash flow by re-leasing the now empty apartment to someone else.
Yep I think the name entitled thugs certainly is much easier to apply else where with so many programs caught red handed as they say.I mean with a nation of young men raised in the projects going to college for the career football n benefit it can bring yet no pocket money the temptation is huge to not only live it up but to take money as we have clearly seen.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:37 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
A tough-nosed new coach giving players expectations and refusing to kiss booster bottom is great! And maybe what the doctor says is needed at Texas! But some questions for all of you Longhorn folk........

1. How much of a rope will Texas give him (alum, fans, students, admins, boosters.....!)? Will it be like a Rex Ryan and Mike Tomlin (both staying in NY and Pittsburgh), or will Charlie Strong go down a Cleveland Brown shaft???????

2. Is Texas ready for a man of that personality; hard-nosed and refusing to kiss booster bottom? In other words, is Texas ready for "Strong is the new Brown"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football