Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:56 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,291,356 times

Advertisements

I don't know for sure but don't think studying those flash cards will help much because the actual test is always different from any study guide. If I were you, I'd forget about the GRE for a year or two and read a few books that will build your vocabulary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 AM

5,343 posts, read 6,184,812 times
Just to be clear from the sounds of the OP he/she is not worried about performing well on the GRE. It sounds like they are passed that. He/she is more concerned with the typical vocabulary in journals and discussion at the grad level. It sounds like the OP is curious about whether typical graduate school discussion and writing includes words used in the GRE and at least in the areas I am familiar with this is not the case.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:37 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,254,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
Hi Everyone,

This might sound crazy but I don't think my vocabulary is up to par.

I took the GRE and had no clue what some of the words meant. I knew the types of words that would be on the test but it makes me question my ability to perform well in Graduate School. I know I will write many papers but I don't think I would've included any of those words in something I will write. I don't want to write anything that seems like it came from someone in high school.

I haven't attended school in 8 years so I believe that's part of the reason complex words don't come to me naturally. Not to sound arrogant but I believe I am the most educated in my office of 10. I don't believe I can speak to anyone in my office to practice because I would probably need to explain what I meant by certain things. Don't get me wrong they are all very nice people and aren't dumb but some things might go over their heads.

Does anyone have any suggestions of something/s I can read to expand my vocabulary? I don't want to read the dictionary or anything like that but something you think is interesting and at the same time something that will expand my mind to new ways to word things. (I know everything you think might not be interesting to me but I still would like to know your suggestions).

I'm willing to take all suggestions.

Does anyone understand what I am saying or am I over-reacting?

Thanks in advance for your help
I actually think you should devote some time (at least 15 minutes or so a day) to browsing a good dictionary. If you don't want to crack open a physical one, then check out some of the many dictionary-oriented sites on the web. Some offer little quizzes, word trivia, word trends, and 'Word of the Day' subscriptions in addition to a full lexicon.

Not only will you learn new words, but you will also begin to understand the many different nuances of meaning contained in the more familiar words often overlooked by most. Additionally, understanding etymological structure and root words is essential to developing the ability to pick up new words quickly and to derive meaning from unfamiliar ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities