Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 PM

410 posts, read 1,499,257 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

This might sound crazy but I don't think my vocabulary is up to par.

I took the GRE and had no clue what some of the words meant. I knew the types of words that would be on the test but it makes me question my ability to perform well in Graduate School. I know I will write many papers but I don't think I would've included any of those words in something I will write. I don't want to write anything that seems like it came from someone in high school.

I haven't attended school in 8 years so I believe that's part of the reason complex words don't come to me naturally. Not to sound arrogant but I believe I am the most educated in my office of 10. I don't believe I can speak to anyone in my office to practice because I would probably need to explain what I meant by certain things. Don't get me wrong they are all very nice people and aren't dumb but some things might go over their heads.

Does anyone have any suggestions of something/s I can read to expand my vocabulary? I don't want to read the dictionary or anything like that but something you think is interesting and at the same time something that will expand my mind to new ways to word things. (I know everything you think might not be interesting to me but I still would like to know your suggestions).

I'm willing to take all suggestions.

Does anyone understand what I am saying or am I over-reacting?

Thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,191,768 times
you are overreacting, but I would suggest just getting back into reading. Read journal articles in your area, read books in your area, etc.

Nobody uses the words they have on the GRE unless they intend to sound like a pompous as$

You will be fine.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,398,814 times
It will improve as you go through school, write papers, and read journals in your field. A good thesaurus also helps.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,975,689 times
Here's my recommendation (based on when I took the GRE in the mid 1990s). Study and practice the logic questions. They take practice. Don't worry about the English - you either know it or you don't. An hour spent working on logic problems will pay off a lot more than an hour working on the vocabulary. I'm an engineer so I didn't even study for the math part.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 AM

410 posts, read 1,499,257 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I figured it would get better in time.

I will definitely buy a thesaurus.....I hadn't thought about that.

Charles......I'm not worried about the GRE. I've taken it and I'm okay with my score but thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,975,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post

I will definitely buy a thesaurus....
What's a word that means the same as thesaurus?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,816,596 times
Also keep in mind that every field has its own terminology and favorite words; the English grad students at my school LOVED the word "ratiocination," although I don't remember anyone ever using it in my program. I think I threw it in a few times in my English courses just for fun. I'll second the earlier suggestion to simply read the journals in your field. Soon you, too, can throw around the lingo of choice like a pro, or at least like a grad student. That said, I think there's much to be said to writing clearly and concisely and for a general audience, and not trying to throw out big words simply because you can. Sheer quantity of longer or more esoteric words does not equal quality writing or prove quality of analysis. (in many cases I think it's just the opposite!)

Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,034,190 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I took the GRE and had no clue what some of the words meant. I knew the types of words that would be on the test but it makes me question my ability to perform well in Graduate School. I know I will write many papers but I don't think I would've included any of those words in something I will write. I don't want to write anything that seems like it came from someone in high school.

I haven't attended school in 8 years so I believe that's part of the reason complex words don't come to me naturally. Not to sound arrogant but I believe I am the most educated in my office of 10. I don't believe I can speak to anyone in my office to practice because I would probably need to explain what I meant by certain things. Don't get me wrong they are all very nice people and aren't dumb but some things might go over their heads.

Does anyone have any suggestions of something/s I can read to expand my vocabulary? I don't want to read the dictionary or anything like that but something you think is interesting and at the same time something that will expand my mind to new ways to word things. (I know everything you think might not be interesting to me but I still would like to know your suggestions).

Don't feel intimidated, the test is designed that way. I can remember thinking the same thing about the SAT's back in the late 90's. For the GRE I would recommend using a list of words from a study guide such as Barron's. The study guides will give you pretty accurate exposure of what type of vocabulary to expect on there. Just familiarize yourself with the words on there and you should be fine.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM

60 posts, read 261,098 times
There are lots of books out there to help expand your vocabulary. Hit up the bookstore and see which one works for you.

And read. Reading is the best way to learn new words. I keep a notebook and a dictionary with me at all times (I'm a book blogger and post my lists of new words I learned along with my book reviews). This has helped me tremendously over the past four or five years I've been doing this. Try it out.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:20 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,806,586 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Have a smart phone? Get a GRE vocabulary prep app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities