Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
can you just not do math? or just don't do it easily or well?

just a suggestion, but can you take one introductory math class at a time in a no pressure environment? can you rule out a learning disorder IRT math?

it is hard to think of any lucrative career that doesn't include math somewhere along the way.

i speak as one who had to overcome my fear of math. I still don't grasp the intuitive side of understanding math but I can work through the formulas, can prepare grapics, etc. And I work every step of the problem Admire those who can see right to the answer or can take shortcuts to the right answer but as long as I get there.... is life
The OP said that he or she could not. And I for one believe him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 AM

681 posts, read 618,849 times
hey sheena, i know this is an old thread now but you said something about getting a higher education degree for student services..is that like a masters in education so you can work at a university and deal with student relations?

Old 11-12-2012, 05:48 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,269 times
ETA: Thread necromancy. Oops

Sheena, I agree with you when it comes to higher math. College algebra isn't really on that level. That is where hard work and a lot of practice really should still be able to get a student a C.

I am not artistic AT ALL and managed a B in my Studio class by redoing my projects over and over before turning them in. Sometimes, you really do have to put in a whole lot of work as a substitute for talent. I'm actually glad for having gone through that, because I believe there is value in developing something in which we lack.

Anyway, most majors require college algebra (even liberal arts majors, and those listed by other posters.) I don't want someone working in supply chain management for my company that can't crunch numbers for a lot of reasons!

OP, do you have a plan for getting through the core math requirement, and just want suggestions that eliminate any more math? What are you outstanding at?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,814,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
hey sheena, i know this is an old thread now but you said something about getting a higher education degree for student services..is that like a masters in education so you can work at a university and deal with student relations?
I'm not sheena but yes, that is what it is. It prepares you for student services of all stripes as well as admissions work.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM

681 posts, read 618,849 times
Oh ok, I thought it was just if you wanted to be an assistant principal, my university offers several M.Ed degrees in counseling, administration, teacher leadership(a joke if you ask me) and technology leadership

Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,814,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
Oh ok, I thought it was just if you wanted to be an assistant principal, my university offers several M.Ed degrees in counseling, administration, teacher leadership(a joke if you ask me) and technology leadership
Naw, Ed.Ds are what people who want to move into K-12 administration generally get, though there are some masters level programs too with principals certificate type things attached. The quality of Ed programs vary WIDELY though, lots of them are pure crap so one must choose wisely IMO. Too many programs just slap stuff together in order to take advantage of teachers looking to gain some credits to increase thier pay.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 2,797 times
I just can not seem to remember much about math algebra concepts was all I had in high school and it has affect my whole life because math is a real problem for me

Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 AM

665 posts, read 1,244,112 times
Khan Academy really helped me I passed my algebra classes with a B and C.
now Im deciding ,between web development, Finance or Economics

Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That's you and YOUR EXPERIENCE! Not everyone can "get good" at Math. If you practice enough can you write a poem or a short story? Paint a picture? Act in a play?

Few people can do any of those in this world, - having a talent in the arts is so rare. However we recognize this, and while a liberal arts education teaches us to understand the Arts, no one is expected to create art.

To so with math. Math is not for everyone, but a liberally educated person should know why each for of higher math exists and what they are used for.

They should not be expected to perform complex mathematical problems - only to understand why and when this is needed.

Not everyone is a rocket scientist.
Fewer people can write a readable short story.
Normal students can pass college algebra if they try hard enough, period. No excuse.
For your interest the same level of math is REQUIRED for high school students in many countries in the world.
We are not talking about differential equations here, just college algebra.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
Why not accounting? The math part is fairly simple artihmetic. No fancy equations, no derviations, no integrations, no tableus, no proving, etc. What accounting requires is patience, attention to detail, memorization of rules and logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities