Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,664,502 times

Advertisements

The thing with schools is that reputation does matter.

So... if half of the recruiters out there have negative associations with Liberty, your resume is going in the circular file RIGHT OFF THE BAT for all of those companies.

It doesn't matter if a school is actually fantastic, until the prevailing climate has changed to accept that. Unless you are attending school solely for your own enrichment, and do not regard it as a financial investment, it is wise to avoid school that carry negative reputations.

The fact that we are discussing an online program makes it that much more important. Online students have another layer of prejudice against their degrees to contend with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM

455 posts, read 1,400,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post

So... if half of the recruiters out there have negative associations with Liberty, your resume is going in the circular file RIGHT OFF THE BAT for all of those companies.

It doesn't matter if a school is actually fantastic, until the prevailing climate has changed to accept that. Unless you are attending school solely for your own enrichment, and do not regard it as a financial investment, it is wise to avoid school that carry negative reputations.

The fact that we are discussing an online program makes it that much more important. Online students have another layer of prejudice against their degrees to contend with.
You are 100% correct. I just have never had a recruiter weigh in on the subject. Just what people have heard. Which are mostly half truths. I do belive LU is a up and coming school. Since Falwell Jr. has took over it is moving more and more mainstream.

I was talking to a co-worker of mine. He's in his 60's and remembers when Notre Dame was considered a average to crappy school. He said not many cared to attend in his day. Might have had alot to do with it not being coed at the time. But things change. Now ND is pretty well known in a good way. I'm very curious about LU's future and where it's going.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM

895 posts, read 2,100,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post

Until an actual recruiter posts and says that half of his or her counterparts feel the same, the argument is null, and even if one did, it still would be. The number of alumni I know of in great positions far outweighs the negative bias forum lurkers post. It is common knowledge that both the schools and the hospitals in the Lynchburg region are as likely to choose an LU grad as they will a UVa grad. Since Areva and BWX are both involved with the Liberty Engineering department at some level, the result will be the same. If the companies are involved with the school, do you really think their recruiters throw away the resume with a Liberty degree on it? Their is more prejudice when it comes to online programs, but since Liberty is a non-profit with a very substantial brick and mortar campus, it does give the online learner a leg up over the DeVry/Phoenix/for profit students.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,606,747 times
Liberty has a bad reputation for many reasons. One of them is it's association with it's polarizing founder, Rev. Jerry Falwell. Face it, he's a "love him or hate him" kind of person. And yes, I am aware that he is dead.

The man had some rather extreme positions on a number of issuers. Some of his comments were rather hateful. It's not a just a religious school - it's a Fundamentalist religious school. And there are more moderates than extremists in the world.

I would absolutely avoid DeVry/Phoenix and others like them. I'd also avoid Liberty, Bob Jones and Oral Roberts. None are very good schools, by the way. Then add the extreme Fundamentalism and unless you want to work for a company owned and run by Fundamentalist Christian Zealots. Then it would be a plus.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Yeah, before I enrolled in LU I googled the hell out of LU's rep or anything related. It dawned on me hardly anyone has first hand info. The ones that do love LU, of course you have the small percent that are negative. But thats common with anything. Any forum type info you find on the Internet concerning LU is people's opinions based on others people's opinions. Makes me wonder does anyone do actual research anymore? Or has our society digressed Into Wikipedia based facts or I heard this fact from a friend of a friend...LOL.

3 pages of this forum have been wrote. So far only around 3 people including myself have any first hand knowledge of LU.
Your last sentence really confirms what everyone else is saying - I don't need to have "first hand experience" with Liberty to dislike it. How would I get such experience unless I took a class there, sent a child there, or taught there.

And I would not go near the place with a ten foot pole! And I'm a Christian and a church counsel member! What about non - Christians? Atheists? Agnostics?

Falwell said that NYC deserved 9/11 and New Orleans deserved Katrina. I don't need to know more.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Your last sentence really confirms what everyone else is saying - I don't need to have "first hand experience" with Liberty to dislike it. How would I get such experience unless I took a class there, sent a child there, or taught there.

And I would not go near the place with a ten foot pole! And I'm a Christian and a church counsel member! What about non - Christians? Atheists? Agnostics?

Falwell said that NYC deserved 9/11 and New Orleans deserved Katrina. I don't need to know more.
Well I need a good reason to dislike anything. I have to have had some form of first hand experience with whatever in question. Till then I tell my wife "I'm not a fan"....LOL.

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-05-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Until an actual recruiter posts and says that half of his or her counterparts feel the same, the argument is null, and even if one did, it still would be. The number of alumni I know of in great positions far outweighs the negative bias forum lurkers post. It is common knowledge that both the schools and the hospitals in the Lynchburg region are as likely to choose an LU grad as they will a UVa grad. Since Areva and BWX are both involved with the Liberty Engineering department at some level, the result will be the same. If the companies are involved with the school, do you really think their recruiters throw away the resume with a Liberty degree on it? Their is more prejudice when it comes to online programs, but since Liberty is a non-profit with a very substantial brick and mortar campus, it does give the online learner a leg up over the DeVry/Phoenix/for profit students.

I'm in a great postion myself. LU hasn't hurt me in the least bit. I'm in IT/Telecommunications and most people in my field tend to have a UOP degree. My regional manager has every degree he has to include his MBA from UOP. I don't think a LU degree is going to hurt me....LOL.

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-05-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 PM

895 posts, read 2,100,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Wow. Get a grip on your emotions! It's funny the folks who admonish a long dead man for his intolerance are just as venomous in their uninformed commentary about a present day institution. You will not affect any with your comments, so why bother? The OP will not make a choice for or against the school based on your comments, and readers who know otherwise won't change their minds. Hopefully, your ranting will help ease some of the bitterness that you seem to have!

By the way... what in the world is a church council member?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 AM

A great way to see how alumni are doing is easy. Most white collar professionals are on LinkedIn.com. Use the advanced search function and search by school. Type "Liberty University" in the school search box and bam you can see for yourself.

I've already seached awhile ago when I was researching LU. LU has a overwhelming amount of grads doing well. One recent grad is now a sideline reporter for ESPN's Longhorn Network. The list doesn't stop there. I think the prove is in the pudding on this subject.

Liberty Alum Steele Hired by Longhorn Network | Liberty Flames

Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Wow. Get a grip on your emotions! It's funny the folks who admonish a long dead man for his intolerance are just as venomous in their uninformed commentary about a present day institution. You will not affect any with your comments, so why bother? The OP will not make a choice for or against the school based on your comments, and readers who know otherwise won't change their minds. Hopefully, your ranting will help ease some of the bitterness that you seem to have!

By the way... what in the world is a church council member?
Nothing that I said was "venomous". I repeated Falwell's comments. Here's another Gem by Jerry - he referred to actress and comedian Ellen DeGeneres as "Ellen DeGenerate" Very nice. I'd call that venomous. She is a lovely, accomplished and talented women who does a lot for charity, including Animal Welfare.

You do not know what a church counsel is? I will explain. It's an elected body of church members who act as advisers and confidants to the pastors of a church, and express the will of the congregation. They are involved with administration, disbursement of funds, counting and recording Sunday contributions, and assisting the various ministries of the church. Sort of like a board of directors.

If Falwell did not want to be remembered as a hateful man in death, he should have refrained from saying hateful things while alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities