Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 AM

455 posts, read 1,400,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
That's how Liberty University referred to it here. If you have a problem with it, then that's something you'll have to take up with them.

Op-Ed: Media's misrepresentation of club controversy | Liberty University

That's fine for people who are interested in learning religious theories in a science class. There are a lot of religious theories out there about creationism. Why not teach them all?

Some believe that they revoked the recognition of the College Republicans because of the press they received for revoking the recognition of the College Democrats. However, it was probably because the College Republicans endorsed a gubernatorial candidate who did not support a total ban on abortion.
I'm not admissions nor do I make policy. But what I do know is LU's policy of required religious course isn't unsual. Other Uni's require the same thing. And what does it matter anyways. Isn't being open minded seeing both sides of a topic? They teach what everyone else teach's and then a little extra. Seem fine to me.

All I know is LU did do the right thing by not officially supporting both student parties. Sure it may of been because of pressure after the GOP student party fiasco. But it showed they are flexible.

I just don't see what the issue is. It's a Christian school that takes a stance for something...big whoop. I'm a LU student and I don't hate gays I'm pro-abortion and I'm not even very Christian. I'm sure a lot of students feel the same as I do. Do I care if someone opinions differ...no not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 AM

895 posts, read 2,101,291 times
Quote:
That's how Liberty University referred to it here. If you have a problem with it, then that's something you'll have to take up with them.

Op-Ed: Media's misrepresentation of club controversy | Liberty University

Read between my lines- I don't have any problems with it and since I'm not a party hack for either I just was making a casual observation. I was just thought it was funny that you were deriding Liberty for what seems like an anti-Democratic Party stance and then you refer to the party with the same "demeaning" term that they do. Personally, I don't think it is demeaning, but that is what the Rush/Sean have turned it into.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,506,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
I'm not admissions nor do I make policy. But what I do know is LU's policy of required religious course isn't unsual. Other Uni's require the same thing. And what does it matter anyways. Isn't being open minded seeing both sides of a topic? They teach what everyone else teach's and then a little extra. Seem fine to me.

All I know is LU did do the right thing by not officially supporting both student parties. Sure it may of been because of pressure after the GOP student party fiasco. But it showed they are flexible.

I just don't see what the issue is. It's a Christian school that takes a stance for something...big whoop. I'm a LU student and I don't hate gays I'm pro-abortion and I'm not even very Christian. I'm sure a lot of students feel the same as I do. Do I care if someone opinions differ...no not really.
I'm not talking about a required religious course; I'm talking about teaching Young Earth Creationism as a science. Those are two very different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Read between my lines- I don't have any problems with it and since I'm not a party hack for either I just was making a casual observation. I was just thought it was funny that you were deriding Liberty for what seems like an anti-Democratic Party stance and then you refer to the party with the same "demeaning" term that they do. Personally, I don't think it is demeaning, but that is what the Rush/Sean have turned it into.
I'm just using the term that Liberty used in its official statement.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about a required religious course; I'm talking about teaching Young Earth Creationism as a science. Those are two very different things.

I'm just using the term that Liberty used in its official statement.
How are they teaching it as a science again? All I know it as is a required course called CRST 290 . Here is the syllabus https://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PI...&CourseID=2536. And here is a LU Biology majors degree plan http://www.liberty.edu/media/1170/Bi...%20Science.pdf. CRST290 is not listed as a science it's just a required course for every LU undergrad.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 PM

That pretty much sounds like it's being taught as a science to me. A college science course is a prerequisite. Then, there is this course where CRST 290 or BIOL 200 is a prerequisite. It's also recommended for students with a strong science background.

https://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PI...&CourseID=2537

Why would it be in the biology degree plan when it's already a required course for every major?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
That pretty much sounds like it's being taught as a science to me. A college science course is a prerequisite. Then, there is this course where CRST 290 or BIOL 200 is a prerequisite. It's also recommended for students with a strong science background.

https://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PI...&CourseID=2537

Why would it be in the biology degree plan when it's already a required course for every major?

Come on dude your being ridiculous. Of course you have to take a 200 level course before a 300 level. I am assuming the level of debate for a 300 level course is deep enough to need a BIO class under your belt. And the BIO class is just a option you don't even need it. You can take 290 then 390 and never take a BIO class. And this is ONLY if the student wants to. If the student just wants to take the 290 and be done with it then that's it. And no it's not a science course.

Dude seriously. Did you even read the Bio degree plan. Here is what it says in a completely different section from the classes "GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS CRST 290 History of Life OR CRST 390 Origins FRSM 101 Freshman Seminar". It's just a requirement just like the freshman seminar is.

Why else would it be in a biology degree plan when it's already a required course for every major? Because degrees need degree plans. It's in the MIS degree plan as well https://www.liberty.edu/media/1170/M...%2010-3-07.pdf and that has nothing to do with biology it's business/IT.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Come on dude your being ridiculous. Of course you have to take a 200 level course before a 300 level. I am assuming the level of debate for a 300 level course is deep enough to need a BIO class under your belt. And the BIO class is just a option you don't even need it. You can take 290 then 390 and never take a BIO class. And this is ONLY if the student wants to. If the student just wants to take the 290 and be done with it then that's it. And no it's not a science course.

Dude seriously. Did you even read the Bio degree plan. Here is what it says in a completely different section from the classes "GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS CRST 290 History of Life OR CRST 390 Origins FRSM 101 Freshman Seminar". It's just a requirement just like the freshman seminar is.

Why else would it be in a biology degree plan when it's already a required course for every major? Because degrees need degree plans. It's in the MIS degree plan as well https://www.liberty.edu/media/1170/M...%2010-3-07.pdf and that has nothing to do with biology it's business/IT.
You completely misunderstood what I said. I meant that it's not listed as a science course in the biology degree plan because it's already required for every major. By the way, I'm not a dude.

Anyway, the required religion courses at religious schools are normally not focused on comparing evolution and Young Earth Creationism. If the course weren't meant to be scientific in nature, then Liberty University would not require a science course as a prerequisite for 290 or say that a biology class is an acceptable prerequisite for 390. Liberty University used to put in its job ads that biology professors have to be compatible with the young-earth creationist philosophy. Have you taken any of Liberty's biology courses? Do you know for sure that young earth creationism is not included in the biology courses? Creationism may not be included in their courses descriptions, but neither is evolution. Do they teach their biology courses without discussing the origins of life?

Science courses aren't normally a prerequisite for religious courses. Could you imagine having to take biology 101 before a course on the Book of Genesis? The fact that either a biology course or 290 can be a prerequisite for 390 is proof enough that there is considerable overlap between the courses. If Liberty were open-minded about comparing creationism with evolution and allowing students to choose, it would not only focus on Young Earth Creationism. There are other popular theories within Christianity alone.

I think you should know that Young Earth Creationism is supposed to be a scientific theory according to its adherents. It's not accepted as a science among mainstream scientists, but creationists see it as a scientific theory. Have you not heard of creation science? Why would they compare young earth creationism with a scientific theory such as evolution if YEC is not a scientific theory itself?

Last edited by L210; 12-13-2012 at 01:23 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
You completely misunderstood what I said. I meant that it's not listed as a science course in the biology degree plan because it's already required for every major. By the way, I'm not a dude.

Anyway, the required religion courses at religious schools are normally not focused on comparing evolution and Young Earth Creationism. If the course weren't meant to be scientific in nature, then Liberty University would not require a science course as a prerequisite for 290 or say that a biology class is an acceptable prerequisite for 390. Liberty University used to put in its job ads that biology professors have to be compatible with the young-earth creationist philosophy. Have you taken any of Liberty's biology courses? Do you know for sure that young earth creationism is not included in the biology courses? Creationism may not be included in their courses descriptions, but neither is evolution. Do they teach their biology courses without discussing the origins of life? Science courses aren't normally a prerequisite for religious courses. If Liberty were open-minded about comparing creationism with evolution and allowing students to choose, it would not only focus on Young Earth Creationism. There are other popular theories within Christianity alone.
I see it as them being a Christian Uni. I don't think it's a huge deal its just a bulls**t class. I would hope the general population could could see this. The rest of the degree major stuff looks pretty comparable to other Uni's.

And Bio 200 or Creationism 290 was just a requirement for the Creationism 390 course. I view this route as completely optional. The standalone Creationism 290 is the only real requirement. And that requires no prerequisites. I'm assuming that the Bio to Creationism route would be more for the people that already believe evolution is not true and really want to drill down into it. But it's college and its the students right to choose. LU gives them the option.

LU's hiring practices are fine. They just want Professors to be in line with there beliefs. Since they are a Private Non-profit they can select the criteria. I'm not sure if a Public can do the same. Is it really that much different then Liberal Uni's hiring like minded people?

And I've never took a religious course at LU. Nor am I required too. I'm just doing my MBA there. I love to research things and after I cut threw the bias opinions and half truths it seems fine to me. Well that and the kickass tuition rates for vets and military. Hard to beat 250 a credit hour from a NCAA D1 school.

Falwell Sr. was not a cool dude in my eyes. Said some crazy stuff. LU was even on the brink of failing because of money issues. Once Sr died Jr turned the school around completely. LU isn't the same school it was during Sr's rein. LU has money coming out its ears. It may take years for people to realize that but it is pretty main stream Christian school.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Are all of the students at LU Christian? Or most of them?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are all of the students at LU Christian? Or most of them?
Good question. I don't have numbers or anything I can reference for an answer. Based solely off my opinions I would say the ones attending in person would mostly be Christian. And the ones going online would be more of a coin toss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities