Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 AM

455 posts, read 1,400,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
And you don't see a problem with this? Desktop Support 101 is not science.
Problem with what? I mentioned a few things in my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 AM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
Are all of the students at LU Christian? Or most of them?
They must sign a Statement of Faith. The online school accepts anyone with money or who will take out a loan or can get aid.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Problem with what? I mentioned a few things in my post.
Desktop support is not a science. IT is not a science.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Desktop support is not a science. IT is not a science.
How is IT not a science? And if its not then what is it? At the very least its a applied science much like electrical/mechanical engineering is.

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-14-2012 at 01:59 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
How is IT not a science? And if its not then what is it?
Figuring out how to carry data on a at 100mhz frequency on a twisted pair wire is science.
Figuring out the how to connect wires to switches and computers is not science.

Figuring out how to optimize the combustion in an engine is science.
Using an engine is not science.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:31 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,247,923 times
Bad school.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Bad school.
Bad assessment of the school.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Figuring out how to carry data on a at 100mhz frequency on a twisted pair wire is science.
Figuring out the how to connect wires to switches and computers is not science.

Figuring out how to optimize the combustion in an engine is science.
Using an engine is not science.
IT is not just connecting things to other things its designing as well as programming. Networks aren't that simple they are designed. And computers dont make scripts and or programs themelves. You can also improve poorly designed networks and make them significantly better similar to your example of optimizing a combustion engine.

In the states most people never see the network backbone just the end user part. So I can understand how people can think its just something simple. My IT degree is focused on the network design side of things so that's my view on it.

You may not respect the science but that doesn't mean it's not a science. But I can see your perspective. If you break it down to the physics of communications technology versus the operations of that technology your view does make sense.

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-14-2012 at 05:37 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,506,896 times
From my understanding computer science is science. IT, in general, is not science. Engineering and medicine are applied sciences. Simply designing and repairing things does not make one a scientist. There might be some courses within an IT degree that fall under the computer science category, but desktop support is simply a repair and customer service course. IT degree programs normally don't require as much of the theoretical and physical science coursework that's in engineering and computer science programs.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM

895 posts, read 2,101,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This is what I mean. The Democratic club is marginalized and limited. Creationism is not a science. It is a belief that is part of some religions. Fundamentalist Christian ones.

I am a member of a regular mainline Protestant church.

There is nothing "open minded" about Liberty, and other colleges of it's ilk.

I do not need to be open minded about intolerant Churches or colleges. And I haven't pretended to be.

*Wanna get me started about Westboro Baptist? Thomas Road baptist is not very different.

If Liberty wanted to distance themselves from Jerry Falwell, I am certain that their PR team could figure out how to do this.

It would still not be a college that I would ever permit any of my children to attend. Not that they'd want to.

*We have strong family values. And we follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.
I'll call you out... Of course most of your comment is based on lack of knowledge, and we are all ignorant at some levels, so I can give you a pass on comments about open-mindedness, since you obviously aren't so open-minded, yourself.
BUT, the italicized bold print is basically rubbish. You obviously don't have much knowledge of Westboro... they have a record of protesting against both Liberty and Thomas Road because they refuse to harbor animosity towards those that Westboro hates. Secondly, your church might follow some of Jesus' teachings, but you sure don't demonstrate this. Gotta love how brashly you judge... Oh... just like Jesus, right? You seem to think that if you believe the Bible you have to be a Fundamentalist. Not a Young Earth person, but ALL mainline Protestant churches have the creation story. What do you really believe, and how solid are the values of your church if the book that you hold as primary is shot full of fairy tales. I can't believe that a church would actually have leadership that so quickly blasts Protestant theology. You should read C.S. Lewis The Space Trilogy; it addresses the growth of Humanism at the expense of Christian beliefs.
Lastly, I don't think you are the demographic that Liberty is trying to reach, same as Notre Dame or BYU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities