Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:39 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,611,555 times

Advertisements

id say nursing is one of those "hot majors" because everyone is saying, "become a nurse", though I believe business will soon overtake nursing. Overrated I don't know, I still think nursing is one of the most secure majors you can graduate with. I'd rather be a nursing grad than generic liberal art/humanites grad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM

867 posts, read 2,982,948 times
My mother is a BSN and was laid off from a locally well-known Houston-area clinic during the height of the recession in early 2008. I think she was doing orthopedic triage at that time. She has over 20 years experience in nursing with 2 bachelor's degrees and hasn't been able to find anything other than substitute school nursing jobs in Southwest Houston. I have heard her say that the field is "full" and "extremely competitive."

Old 07-29-2012, 01:54 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,539,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Consider becoming an X Ray Technician. The real term is Radiologic Technologist. It is a 2 year program. You give X-Rays, CT Scans, PET Scans, Ultra-sounds, mammograms(which are x rays ).

Some technical schools and community colleges offer this. There used to be some hospitals that had in-house schooling for Radiologic Technology.

Annual salary averages $65k-$75k. The doctor that reads the Xrays and makes the diagnosis is the Radiologist.
You have link to that avg salary?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
What is a telephone triage?
Taking phone calls from patients and deciding what to do with them. The term comes from the military battlefield triage (meaning three) system, those who need immediate care, those who need care but can wait, and those who will die regardless.

We have a "phone nurse" at our pediatric office who does this, though truthfully, there are more than three categories. I do "phones" once a week or so. Some of the calls are parenting issues, some kids are sick but can be cared for at home, some need to come to the office today, some can wait to be seen, some need to go to the ER, etc. I enjoy it!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Consider becoming an X Ray Technician. The real term is Radiologic Technologist. It is a 2 year program. You give X-Rays, CT Scans, PET Scans, Ultra-sounds, mammograms(which are x rays ).

Some technical schools and community colleges offer this. There used to be some hospitals that had in-house schooling for Radiologic Technology.

Annual salary averages $65k-$75k. The doctor that reads the Xrays and makes the diagnosis is the Radiologist.
I have been looking into this and my understanding is these fields are highly competitive. Much more so than nursing. You need to make sure you go to a school that has the proper accreditations otherwise employers won't even look at you. The schools/programs with the proper accreditations tend to be tough to get into even at the community college level. You need to have top grades in your prerequisite classes to even have a chance of getting in. At least that's the way it is here at the local community college.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,129,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
What is a telephone triage?
call center work

Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
call center work
That's part of it, but not all of it. Our office, like many offices, especially in pediatrics and family practice, has a "phone nurse". Denver Children's hospital has an after-hours call center. When someone calls our office after hours, the answering service sends the call to them.

After Hours Telephone Care Program - Children's Hospital Colorado-Denver Area, Rocky Mountain Region

Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 AM

578 posts, read 1,297,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I said there were less openings for nurses because there are so many older nurses in the field. Most of these older nurses would rather not be working shifts, have mandatory overtime and constantly have to learn new on-line charting systems. These older nurses will have to be replaced sooner than later.

Hospitals rarely lay off RNs. The only nurses that are ever laid off are LPNs.

So what college degree can you recommend that has better employment prospects than nursing?

BTW, "there for" is spelled "therefore."
Right now, there aren't that many openings for brand new nurses out of BSN. The programs that bring on new nurses are pretty full and pretty competitive to get in. Once that experience is there, it gets easier.

The college degrees that right now have 0% unemployment: (4 Degrees With 0% Unemployment - Yahoo! Finance)

1. Actuarial science
2. Astrophysics
3. Pharmacology
4. Geophysics

Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,247,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
become an eye doctor (the one does the exams / prescriptions, not the one that does eye surgery)!

its a pretty easy office job, and everybody's eyesight deteriorates with age -- unlimited demand in any economy.
Our daughter is thinking of this now. The hours are good and compatible with a family and a personal life.

That is one of the downsides of nursing. But it's still a rewarding profession.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,860,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
become an eye doctor (the one does the exams / prescriptions, not the one that does eye surgery)!

its a pretty easy office job, and everybody's eyesight deteriorates with age -- unlimited demand in any economy.
That's what I would do if I had the brains to sit through all those years of college. Seems like a ridiculously easy job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities