Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I don't believe nursing is overrated but in terms of two year vs four year nursing degrees, we can argue all day long. I have several family members who are nurses and this topic comes up a lot.

One of my family members has a two year degree, one has a BSN. I believe it depends on the person and the school. Some schools really equipt people to be competant nurses, either on the two year or the four year. However, the accelerated schools are getting a bad rap ( 2nd degree BSN programs) with the nursing community, they seem to be known as the pump and dump. They pump a student information at an alarming rate, then dump them into the next class within 5-8 weeks. Most students cannot process the information quick enough and by the time they graduate they really don't have a good foundation.
Honestly, I believe students should receive a two year RN, work for a year then bridge to BSN. Why? I think so many people are entering nursing, come out with at least 40K worth of debt only to realize nursing is difficult, stressful, and not glamerous.
Perhaps it is difficult, stressful, and not glamorous, but it is lucrative. Average nurse in Boston makes $90K. The (former) SO became a 'diploma nurse' (2 year degree), then BSN, MSN and MPH.... makes twice that. $40K of debt can be paid off in no time flat.

Not to derail this thread, but earning twice (per year) of what your school debt is, is a walk in the park. Try coming out of med school owing $455K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:17 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Perhaps it is difficult, stressful, and not glamorous, but it is lucrative. Average nurse in Boston makes $90K. The (former) SO became a 'diploma nurse' (2 year degree), then BSN, MSN and MPH.... makes twice that. $40K of debt can be paid off in no time flat.

Not to derail this thread, but earning twice (per year) of what your school debt is, is a walk in the park. Try coming out of med school owing $455K.
This is true. However many nurses that I've come in contact with, state that they don't get paid hardly enough to compensate all the work they do, and all the things they deal with. There are many different routes to go in with nursing as well. I'm still debating on whether or not I'm going to pursue it for next semester.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:

The average med school debt less than half of what you stated.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...-the-most-debt

Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,282 times
Being a nurse is definitely a very stressful job and very time-consuming. My aunt and uncle are both nurses and they work so many hours straight (I'm talking about 36 hours straight), they barely have time to spend with their son sometimes. They even have a babysitter who resides with them. On the other hand, though, you will get longer vacations.

I don't think nursing is necessarily an "overrated" major, especially if you have the passion for it, but be prepared with what you're going to get hit with. Some people do it for the sake of just money, some do it for the experience, and some do it for both.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,665 times
I have been a RN for 7.5 years. I am making pretty much the same $$ as I did when I started. I highly suspect wages are on a downward spiral.

The market is okay for nurses who already have EXPERIENCE but it is very competitive for new graduates, currently. For anyone considering entering this profession, I would put alot of thought and research into it to decide if you are a 'good fit.'

Old 09-04-2012, 04:57 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I keep reading about nurses not having time to do anything,long hours,etc.
That's not true either. Its what you chose. No one is forcing anyone to work in the hospital or nursing home.
I have done private duty and make my own schedule
(3 years ago,but now cases are getting a little hard to come by)
The same thing with stress. Is it stressful? Yes?
But so are other careers,even moreso(teachers for one)
In truth,everyone thinks their job is more stressful than the next.

To the OP:try an Lpn program. That way,if you want to bail without having spent a lot of money,you can.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The average med school debt less than half of what you stated.

10 Medical Schools That Lead to the Most Debt - US News and World Report

Ask someone who is about to pay for it... (oops, that is me). $65K a year times 7, and that doesn't include the PhD (though I will not pay for that).
GWU debt is $200K, JHU is twice that.
When you have written the checks, then I will lay off the 'Chronic Dis-information' that is spewed on this site.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:

I understand but nurses are the do'ers of the hospital so to speak-plus a lot of nurses are complaining that they are not paid for how much work is expected of them.

My point is I read an article that 30% of nurses leave the profession after one year...so why get a bachelor degree in something that you may hate. Yes some people understand what nursing is about and understand how difficult it is, how it's not Gray's Anatomy etc etc...but some young people have no idea what they are getting into.

Yes owing 455k is a lot but I would have to say doctors salaries are going up while nursing salaries have become flat or even going down because so many nurses are coming out of school.

BTW an RN is not called a diploma nurse-they have an associates degree-a diploma nurse is a LPN. A two year RN can do the same job as a four year just not go into management. This is changing in some states but not here in the south.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I understand but nurses are the do'ers of the hospital so to speak-plus a lot of nurses are complaining that they are not paid for how much work is expected of them.

My point is I read an article that 30% of nurses leave the profession after one year...so why get a bachelor degree in something that you may hate. Yes some people understand what nursing is about and understand how difficult it is, how it's not Gray's Anatomy etc etc...but some young people have no idea what they are getting into.

Yes owing 455k is a lot but I would have to say doctors salaries are going up while nursing salaries have become flat or even going down because so many nurses are coming out of school.

BTW an RN is not called a diploma nurse-they have an associates degree-a diploma nurse is a LPN. A two year RN can do the same job as a four year just not go into management. This is changing in some states but not here in the south.

Quote:"BTW an RN is not called a diploma nurse-they have an associates degree-a diploma nurse is a LPN."

Forgive me, as the 'diploma nurse' I was was married to for over a decade was an ER RN at Mass General. Then she got smart and decided to be CNO at some of the biggest hospitals in the US.

Doctor's salaries are not what they used to be.
Profiles - 2011 - 2012 Physician Salary Survey

A nurse comes out owing, percentage-wise of income FAR less than a physician.
As I say over and over, if you can't stand the heat.... (ER faculty are my favorite, as they have the drive, and aren't some med/surg/nursing home types. JMHO).

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
Quote:
Ask someone who is about to pay for it... (oops, that is me). $65K a year times 7, and that doesn't include the PhD (though I will not pay for that).
GWU debt is $200K, JHU is twice that.
When you have written the checks, then I will lay off the 'Chronic Dis-information' that is spewed on this site.
You are just paying a lot more than most. The data is not made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities