Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 11:05 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
You are misinformed.
You keep ignoring the facts and data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 AM

407 posts, read 829,820 times
I don't think nursing is overrated at all. I think it may be one of the least appriciated professions, but not over-rated by any lengh

Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
aye good luck on the resp program- i know it will not be easy but if you want something you have to work hard for it

Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You really are not comprehending what "on average" means. You keep having this argument because you are wrong.

It's very simple. The average 2 year grad is not as academically acomplished and intelligent as the average 4 year graduate. There is clear data to support this.

You can't argue that someone with a 4 year degree is smarter than someone with a 2 year degree, when your claiming entrence GPA and sat scores, as community colleges have to accept all students, so yes it makes sense that on average students at 2 year schools have lower scores, but you are talking about graduates, the only data that would be accurate is the students average GPA upon graduation and there pass rates on state exams. Or if you want to use entrence information it would need to be used applied to the graduates only not all students entering school.

And congrats to the op on choosing a program and good luck.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
We're getting off- topic here. The OP has decided to enter an Occupational Therapy Assistant program. Let'swish him well! and move on. Y'all be sweet.
I agree. This is not a nursing education thread. The last time I tried to start such a thread, due to another hijack like this one, it only got a few replies.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Yep and not only that foreign nurse's sponsored by their employers are not going to complain about unsafe staffing...working off the clock...and taking shortcuts to give the appearance that they are super nurses.
Yes,we could talk all day about 2 year vs 4 year colleges,at the end of the day the only thing the employer cares about is green!
Two and four degreed American nurses would get kicked to the curb for cheaper, foreign trained nurses.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:22 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
I don't believe nursing is overrated but in terms of two year vs four year nursing degrees, we can argue all day long. I have several family members who are nurses and this topic comes up a lot.

One of my family members has a two year degree, one has a BSN. I believe it depends on the person and the school. Some schools really equipt people to be competant nurses, either on the two year or the four year. However, the accelerated schools are getting a bad rap ( 2nd degree BSN programs) with the nursing community, they seem to be known as the pump and dump. They pump a student information at an alarming rate, then dump them into the next class within 5-8 weeks. Most students cannot process the information quick enough and by the time they graduate they really don't have a good foundation.
Honestly, I believe students should receive a two year RN, work for a year then bridge to BSN. Why? I think so many people are entering nursing, come out with at least 40K worth of debt only to realize nursing is difficult, stressful, and not glamerous.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I don't believe nursing is overrated but in terms of two year vs four year nursing degrees, we can argue all day long. I have several family members who are nurses and this topic comes up a lot.

One of my family members has a two year degree, one has a BSN. I believe it depends on the person and the school. Some schools really equipt people to be competant nurses, either on the two year or the four year. However, the accelerated schools are getting a bad rap ( 2nd degree BSN programs) with the nursing community, they seem to be known as the pump and dump. They pump a student information at an alarming rate, then dump them into the next class within 5-8 weeks. What is happening is students cannot process this information and by the time the student graduates they really haven't learned the concepts.
Honestly, I believe students should receive a two year RN, work for a year then bridge to BSN. Why? I think so many people are entering nursing come out with at least 40K worth of debt only to realize nursing is difficult, stressful, and not glamerous.
This. I can't imagine how fast they have to process information in these accel. programs. The thing with nursing is it's the years of experience you need to know how to handle things. Even if you're not doing direct care, it takes a while to really get it! I worked in a med/surg unit for 4 years after grad and it wasn't easy then. I was coming into things daily that I hadn't experienced in my little clinical time. And, some nurses have attitudes toward new grads like pirhannas. And, you have the docs, esp. back then, w/the patronizing attitudes (I think that's changed somewhat from what I've seen/heard, in certain areas anyways), family members, lots to deal with.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:13 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post

One of my family members has a two year degree, one has a BSN. I believe it depends on the person and the school. Some schools really equipt people to be competant nurses, either on the two year or the four year. However, the accelerated schools are getting a bad rap ( 2nd degree BSN programs) with the nursing community, they seem to be known as the pump and dump. They pump a student information at an alarming rate, then dump them into the next class within 5-8 weeks. Most students cannot process the information quick enough and by the time they graduate they really don't have a good foundation.
Honestly, I believe students should receive a two year RN, work for a year then bridge to BSN. Why? I think so many people are entering nursing, come out with at least 40K worth of debt only to realize nursing is difficult, stressful, and not glamerous.
Debt depends on the school. Average debt at a top 100 university is around 15k. Debt certainly is not a reason to do a 2 year program if you are a quality student who can get into a good school.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Debt depends on the school. Average debt at a top 100 university is around 15k. Debt certainly is not a reason to do a 2 year program if you are a quality student who can get into a good school.
Agreed. I think the most debt comes from the for-profit schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities