Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,462,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Not now...I have been at a pretty large teaching hospital on the west coast.
After 4 years of working with academics (researchers, professors, etc) I said never again.
It was an every day occurrence to listen to them whine about how they made 60% of what my practicing docs made but they were smarter!!!
It was the old "I went to fill-in-the-blank U...I'm smarter"
Unfortunately they weren't...they were paid what they were worth. Just way to impressed with themselves.
Now I run a 5 hospital system (65 - 540 beds) in the Southwest and absolutely love it.

Not that it matters, but my relatives have had the exact opposite experiences...
Can't give you the number of beds, as you will be able to figure out who they are, but about an order of magnitude larger than your hospitals.
I think that the research docs I know making 7 figures in research sort of have it 'set'. Way the h*ll out of my league.
Talent = value = worth = salary.

My condolences for working on the West coast.

Just my humble opinion.

Could we get back to the topic of "Is Nursing an overrated Major"? Because I believe it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,462,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The truth is in he middle of you and Sparkle if you ask me. My wife has worked at two top teaching hospitals and we will never not be around one. I have seen too much poor treatment at hospitals in smaller cities. I'm not saying good ones don't exist but if you have to go by a general measure I'm taking a teaching hospital every time if I need to be seen there.

I'm sure dealing with MD's in a teaching hospital is quite the task but I guess those are two different debates. Working at a hospital and being a patient.
I totally agree.
We (former) engineers are just as arrogant as the docs.... so it doesn't bother us at all.... all we care about is how talented they are. The paper-pusher admins just have to deal with it (and we laughed at them). Being an engineering VP/Director, etc, I had to deal with prima-donna individual contributors, and they were good enough that we had to tolerate it (well to a point).... But when they are inventing things that are either saved peoples' lives or improved our society.... it was not something I can debate.

Back to the topic: Nurses run the hospital (sorry, docs), and they are critical to it.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,829,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
I keep hearing how Nursing is good money and its easy to find a job after passing boards. Thing is I did CNA work for a while and I really didnt enjoy it. Is Nursing any better than Nursing Assistant work?? Im so lost as to what I want to do. I want to stay medical but I dont know if Im cut out to be a Nurse. Im a male and in the military so I have that going for me. I just want something that has a good job stability and also pays good. Im also 21. If anyone has any advice on a good medical major please provide some input Im so confused as to what I want to do. Thanks.
I don't know if someone already answered because I didn't read the whole thread, so if I'm repeating info I apologize.

There are a number of steady jobs in the medical field that offer decent pay besides nursing. Radiology is one, you can always shoot to be a technician of some sort (i.e. ultrasounds, X-ray, etc)... there's always physical therapy, occupational therapy, nutritionists, nurse's assistants, etc. Combine any of these with a gerontology minor and you probably will increase your options.

What you have to figure out is what kind of job best suits your personality and what kind of people you want to work with, and also how much schooling you want to endure.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,611,555 times
resp therapist and vascualr sonagrapher are other 2 popular ones. I would shy away from lpn though unless you "want to try" out nursing first. From the hospitals in my area they don't take on lpns anymore

Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I don't know if someone already answered because I didn't read the whole thread, so if I'm repeating info I apologize.

There are a number of steady jobs in the medical field that offer decent pay besides nursing. Radiology is one, you can always shoot to be a technician of some sort (i.e. ultrasounds, X-ray, etc)... there's always physical therapy, occupational therapy, nutritionists, nurse's assistants, etc. Combine any of these with a gerontology minor and you probably will increase your options.

What you have to figure out is what kind of job best suits your personality and what kind of people you want to work with, and also how much schooling you want to endure.
A radiologist has an MD and extensive post-grad training/education. Physical therapy requires a doctorate; 3 years (full time) beyond college. OT requires at least a master's, as does nutrition. I would not wish CNA on my worst enemy. You don't "minor" in anything when you go to PT school, nor any of these grad programs.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I hate to step into this minefield, but I think the two year programs are not as rigorous as a BSN.
You are right, but there is one exception and it isn't really even a 2 year program. It is a special program, offered at some universities for those with Bach degrees in some other form of science..There are usually, very competitive, very fast paced and are only about 15 months long. The graduates then have a BSN> I have known people (within my family) who have done the 4 year program, the 2 year and the 15 month,after having a bach degree. Those in the 2 year program do not come out with quite the same knowledge as the 4 year grads and though, they rarely have trouble finding good jobs and certainly are good nurses, those with BSN are more in demand. Like so many other professions, eventually they are all equal..At least within our family this is how it has worked.

Nita

Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
A radiologist has an MD and extensive post-grad training/education. Physical therapy requires a doctorate; 3 years (full time) beyond college. OT requires at least a master's, as does nutrition. I would not wish CNA on my worst enemy. You don't "minor" in anything when you go to PT school, nor any of these grad programs.
Which is why I said he had to decide how much schooling he wanted.

You can add gerontology classes at the undergrad level for PT.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I agree I think nursing is becoming over-saturated. My two cousins both graduated with BSN's at top tier schools...one just found a job and one is still looking. However, with that being said from your above statements...it sounds like you would not be a good candidate anyway...if you have no patience then why would you be in allied healthcare? Have you thought about being in healthcare administration? Nursing is a difficult profession...or how about being a PA?
You make a good point, the profession is getting over saturated, but being a PA or nurse practioner requires a heck of a lot more education and the cost involved is extremely expensive...plus almost all who choose to become PAs or Nurse Practioners start out as RNs.

One more thing, to the OP, if you didn't like being an aide, why do you think you would be cut out to be a nurse? Yes, the pay is good, but, as you have said, the hours are long, and there is a lot of stress. The medical field isn't for everyone. I can't think of many jobs that require a certain type of personality as much as nursing, even if the pay is outstanding.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Which is why I said he had to decide how much schooling he wanted.

You can add gerontology classes at the undergrad level for PT.
You can add gerontology classes, IF your school offers them. Frankly, I don't think employers of PTs look at the undergrad major. You need certain pre-reqs to get into PT school and that's what they care about. You can put "minor in gerontology" (if there is such a thing) on your resume; I don't know if the employer would find that advantageous.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
You can add gerontology classes, IF your school offers them. Frankly, I don't think employers of PTs look at the undergrad major. You need certain pre-reqs to get into PT school and that's what they care about. You can put "minor in gerontology" (if there is such a thing) on your resume; I don't know if the employer would find that advantageous.
Yeah, one school where I worked people went straight through from freshman to doctorate. Some kids took gerentology before the went off to the post undergrad part of the program. But obviously PT programs differ.

Anyway the gerentology comment was a general one, the OP seemed to be asking what were steady healthcare jobs besides nursing and I was just throwing out options I've seen people pursue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities