Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,539,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Start with Glassdoor and root out the actual paramedic jobs, not the EMT jobs. You can also go on to a number of hospital and government web sites to see what they are paying various positions.
Glassdoor really is not a very good source. It often has a small amount of responses.

I see not actual reliable data that backs up your claim. Seems the salary is between an EMT and RN. National average is not around 60k.

Last edited by Gatornation; 09-12-2012 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,162,213 times
These all came right off the union CBA's and are before O/T, holiday pay, and shift differentials:

Reedy Creek (Orange County/Disney) Fire Rescue starts at $33K and goes to over $60K

Louisville, KY starts at $32K and goes to $57K

South Kingston, RI starts at $39K and goes to over $45K

NEMSA (private ambulance service) starts at $27K and goes to over $70K depending on the region worked in.

NYC (City) EMS starts at $37K and goes to $55K

UMDNJ starts at $49K and goes to over $80K

The rest you can look up yourself

Old 09-12-2012, 08:01 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
So except for this UMDNJ, which I have no idea on earth of the meaning, the starting salares for these jobs are all less than "$20/hr. ($20/hr = $40K/yr.) Nursing salaries start out in the mid-to low 20s/hr.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So except for this UMDNJ, which I have no idea on earth of the meaning, the starting salares for these jobs are all less than "$20/hr. ($20/hr = $40K/yr.) Nursing salaries start out in the mid-to low 20s/hr.
Maybe where you live, but not throughout the country. There are plenty of areas where RN's start at around $18. Around here LPN's are lucky to start at $14.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe where you live, but not throughout the country. There are plenty of areas where RN's start at around $18. Around here LPN's are lucky to start at $14.
You are using your personal examples and not nationwide averages.

You aren't getting to a national avg of 60k with your jobs you posted.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:16 AM

18,746 posts, read 33,484,310 times
Consider that many many of the people from two-year programs are not coming directly from high school to college, and are often in two-year programs precisely because it is a faster route to employment than a four-year program. Two-year programs often prefer older, "non-traditional" students, because they drop out less. Also, whether one goes to a four-year or two-year school often depends on finances and one's family situation, that is, a single parent with a full-time job (like many of my co-workers) are more likely to choose a two-year program than a four-year for obvious reasons.

For the poster who thought that I was a jealous 2-year person, suffice to say that my 2-year class had 100 percent passing on the boards, and a dropout route of 10 percent, lower than other programs. Average age was 26, and half the class had bachelor's in other areas, plus work experience.

It has been my direct observation over 30 years that BSNs have far less clinical ability because they get far less clinical time in their programs, which is borne out when they specify how much and what kind of clinical time they had. Believe me, I am not jealous of BSNs. For the record, I have an MPH and wouldn't last a minute in any more nursing classes.

I don't think "bright" has that much to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's pretty simple. The brightest students who were the most successful in HS go on to four year schools.

It's no different than saying someone with a four year degree on average will be smarter than someone with an AA. This is just common sense based on entrance test data/gpa in addition to employment data.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 AM

18,746 posts, read 33,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Average nurse in Boston makes $90K. :

HUH? How many years experience? Maybe in the big downtown hospitals with years of experience. Certainly not where I work, which now only hires new grads because they start at the bottom of the scale.

If that's the average nurse in Boston, then I'm ticked off! Unless the "average" nurse has 30 years of experience *and* works for one of the big hospitals downtown. The salaries do fall off accordingly as you leave the big guys.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You are using your personal examples and not nationwide averages.

You aren't getting to a national avg of 60k with your jobs you posted.
A paramedic is close in education to an LPN, in which case paramedics definitely make more money.

Additionally, often paramedic training is employer sponsored. That adds in two years of pay and $50K in educational expenses that an LPN pays out of pocket.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Consider that many many of the people from two-year programs are not coming directly from high school to college, and are often in two-year programs precisely because it is a faster route to employment than a four-year program. Two-year programs often prefer older, "non-traditional" students, because they drop out less. Also, whether one goes to a four-year or two-year school often depends on finances and one's family situation, that is, a single parent with a full-time job (like many of my co-workers) are more likely to choose a two-year program than a four-year for obvious reasons.

For the poster who thought that I was a jealous 2-year person, suffice to say that my 2-year class had 100 percent passing on the boards, and a dropout route of 10 percent, lower than other programs. Average age was 26, and half the class had bachelor's in other areas, plus work experience.

It has been my direct observation over 30 years that BSNs have far less clinical ability because they get far less clinical time in their programs, which is borne out when they specify how much and what kind of clinical time they had. Believe me, I am not jealous of BSNs. For the record, I have an MPH and wouldn't last a minute in any more nursing classes.

I don't think "bright" has that much to do with it.
Sure it does. On average in this nation the smartest people attend a four year university. This is proven with testing/employment/salary data. Of course there are exceptions to the rule.

Many of the best BSN probably advanced beyond RN referencing your personal example.

Last edited by Gatornation; 09-13-2012 at 05:40 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
A paramedic is close in education to an LPN, in which case paramedics definitely make more money.

Additionally, often paramedic training is employer sponsored. That adds in two years of pay and $50K in educational expenses that an LPN pays out of pocket.
50k? If anyone is paying that amount out of pocket for either that is rather foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities