Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:58 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,840,988 times

Advertisements

I didn't read whole thread but I'll mention this in case it wasn't covered already:

LPNs are even getting squeezed out of LTC jobs in some places. They are replacing LPNs with patient care technicians that pass meds and get paid $10/hr here vs. about $8 for regular CNA and $15-$21 for LPNs. I've been told that PCT is just CNA with some additional training to be able to pass meds.

So, if you are unwilling or unable to relocate for a job, be sure to investigate trends in your local job market to see what they are hiring and for how much. There is no nursing shortage at present in many urban areas that have a lot of LPN and RB new-grads. Hospitals want to hire 22-year-olds who have 15 years of RN experience, but there's a huge, huge shortage of those and nobody's been able to find people to fill those positions.

Seriously, there's no shortage of new-grads. The shortage, if any, is in experienced nurses. It can be very tough to find that first job. I still say that employers should be pushing back on the nursing schools to turn out grads who are better trained to do the job, not just pass the NCLEX exams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,867,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
I didn't read whole thread but I'll mention this in case it wasn't covered already:

LPNs are even getting squeezed out of LTC jobs in some places. They are replacing LPNs with patient care technicians that pass meds and get paid $10/hr here vs. about $8 for regular CNA and $15-$21 for LPNs. I've been told that PCT is just CNA with some additional training to be able to pass meds.

So, if you are unwilling or unable to relocate for a job, be sure to investigate trends in your local job market to see what they are hiring and for how much. There is no nursing shortage at present in many urban areas that have a lot of LPN and RB new-grads. Hospitals want to hire 22-year-olds who have 15 years of RN experience, but there's a huge, huge shortage of those and nobody's been able to find people to fill those positions.

Seriously, there's no shortage of new-grads. The shortage, if any, is in experienced nurses. It can be very tough to find that first job. I still say that employers should be pushing back on the nursing schools to turn out grads who are better trained to do the job, not just pass the NCLEX exams.
Very true.
Down south it was hard for me to get a job outside of the hospital as an Rn.
Reason I was told was that "we cost too much".
In home care the Lpn's and Rn's got paid the same amount.
I thought it was unfair,which is why I left.

Up in Nj,I see ads for ltc that want an all Rn staff.
We don't have Pct and med techs in the skilled Ltc in Nj.
Only nurses are allowed to give meds.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,867,033 times
What is stupid about this even more is that an Rn can't apply for an Lpn position.
An Lpn nor an Rn can apply for a Cna or Pct position.

Anyone know why?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post

Agree, esp. with the bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What is stupid about this even more is that an Rn can't apply for an Lpn position.
An Lpn nor an Rn can apply for a Cna or Pct position.

Anyone know why?
I have (in the past, anyway) seen jobs advertised "RN or LPN". I think it's a pay issue more than anything else; employers are afraid an RN will get a CNA job and then leave for an RN job w/higher pay.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,519,341 times
The LPN-RN pendulum seems to swing every few years. The hospitals will all say "ZOMG we don't need LPNs, we'll get RNs in" so LPNs get relegated to LTC jobs for a few years. The the pendulum swings back and the hospitals all say, "ZOMG, we can get LPNS to do almost everything an RN can do and pay them less" and LPNs get put back in. It's cyclical and right now seems to be swinging out of favor for LPNs.

The general trend in nursing and allied health seems to be an increase in the degree level - where a Bachelors once sufficed now a Masters is entry level, where a Masters was once desirable now a Doctorate is needed. I don't know how this will affect nursing given how acute the shortage is but I've heard people say a BSN will be the minimum degree for practice. I don't think this is the case with a projected shortage of 100,000 or so nurses.

But to answer the OP - no, it's not overrated. The job and salary prospects are huge. Best thing I ever did was go to nursing school.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,609,671 times
the pendulum is def swinging away from LPNs atm. Lets see what the future holds

Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM

10,398 posts, read 572,957 times
I have not read through all the responses for this thread but in response to the original post. First of all, I have been a nurse (RN) for over 20 years. before that, a nurses aide since 19 years old. There are distinct differences between a CNA & a nurse, and when I say nurse I am referring to an RN, NOT an LPN. Also, the setting will matter in the actual job duties and practice. What was it about CNA work that you did not like? Was it the pateints in general or the geriatric population? There are some parallels between the two roles but more differences. Yes, nursing is worth it and although it has been more difficult finding work now than it had been several years ago, the tide will change back in a few years when many of the workforce reach retirement age (The average age for nurses is about 50-60 'ish). Being a male nurse is an advantage and don't let anyone tell you differently. Getting into a nursing program can prove troublesome. Many schools have a waiting list. Do not even bother with doing an LPN program, it's a waste of time in this day & age. There is still work out there and there aren't many occupations where you can do a minimum of 2 years FT (AS or AAS degree) and make the kind of money that you can expect right after completing your degree & passing the boards. Your biggest question lies in your desire & interest in the field. It sure has it's downside (healthcare) but I think the benefits certainly outweigh the bad. I have never regretted becoming a nurse, it is perhaps the best decision I have made in my life! Good luck!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:12 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,920,091 times
the women I know who have gone into nursing really don't strike me as the nursing types.

They are the last people I would go to if I needed help with anything...generally depressed, self-involved and constantly in very bad relationships with men.

Also 2 out of 4 of them have gotten breast implant surgery.

These people are my friends and I like them but they are all a mess. I just have to point it out. I'm not saying this is true of all people in the profession, just the people I know.

Also, these nurse friends of mine don't even know each other or work with each other so it's not an isolated incident.

I wonder what attracts such unstable and insecure people to nursing?

Out of my friends, the ones that have their **** together are in pharmacy and business (advertising, management, and HR). The ones who went into Social Work and Education also seem to be mentally stable but they seem to have a growing cynicism in their outlook.

The funniest woman I know? She is in education, early childhood education.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,609,671 times
Id wager one of the reasons for the attaraction is simply nursing is looked at as guranteed job placement. yes there are unemployed nurse grads just as there are unemployed accounting grads etc... but the odds of the unemployed nursing grad finding work is proably better than the odds of generic unemployed liberal arts grad finding work. People know how harsh the job situation is right now and want to go for the thing that will get them the job.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM

183 posts, read 265,100 times
I am: a 15 year nurse who has worked several hospital systems, a doctors' office, taking triage calls, and now, I am a nephrology nurse in a very large outpatient hemodialysis facility.

I do have: Lots of varied experience, as well, when in the hospital systems, working different units in those hospitals. I have surgical, obstetric, and newborn experience. I also have worked in a nursing home, as well. I have seen a lot: I have seen people born into the world, people fighting to live their lives, and people at the end of their lives, dying of either natural causes or catastrophic ones. Nursing is exactly what you make of it. But you HAVE to at least "like" people and interact well with coworkers to succeed. You can work as much or little as you want, once you get in. It's up to you. The sky is truly the limit, if you are willing to put in hard work learning nursing, as well as advance your education, both professional/formal college work, and in continuing education----- nursing is an ever-changing and evolving field. Change is THE hallmark of any medical career; nursing is no exception. You have to be willing to stay on top educationally and professionally to succeed.

It really IS what YOU make it to be, just like most things in life. I came into nursing a little later in life, in my young 30s. NO regrets, but lots of times where I was worn out, tired and heartbroken by the situations I have witnessed as a nurse. I have found my job is a good one to do, cause I truly care about people and can relate on the most basic human levels with my patients and their family members.

I am NO Florence Nightingale nor Mother Theresa and I won't lie: I entered nursing to care for people, but as a VIABLE CAREER and take offense when people insinuate I should not care about salary or working conditions (and they have!). I came into it for a reliable work source of income as well as to touch lives. I do like it most the time. But again, it's been what I made it to be...I came in with realistic expectations and goals.

NO regrets, but it's not by any means easy to be a nurse, either.

Last edited by MOMdotCOM2011; 09-27-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities