Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times

Advertisements

It is easy to find a nursing job. How many out of work nurses do you know? I don't know any and I work with some in the medical field. Now, the problem is that many people are getting into the field who are not suitable for it in the first place. They are not 'people oriented' and do not care about patient well being, naturally nurturing etc. The nursing industry has recently become overrun with people who see the salaries and want in, regardless of anything else. This is not the field for that type of mentality. Also, keep in mind most nurses work their as*ses off for the pay they do get and do more overtime than most people can imagine. They are often stretched to their limits with crazy work schedules to which they have no say so over and rude patients, arrogant doctors, hierarchy games within their field etc.

Personally I would never become a nurse because I am not suitable for that field personality wise, more people should look at the type of person they are as well, before hopping on the nursing bandwagon simply for the solid payday it provides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM

506 posts, read 958,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It is easy to find a nursing job. How many out of work nurses do you know? I don't know any and I work with some in the medical field. Now, the problem is that many people are getting into the field who are not suitable for it in the first place. They are not 'people oriented' and do not care about patient well being, naturally nurturing etc. The nursing industry has recently become overrun with people who see the salaries and want in, regardless of anything else. This is not the field for that type of mentality. Also, keep in mind most nurses work their as*ses off for the pay they do get and do more overtime than most people can imagine. They are often stretched to their limits with crazy work schedules to which they have no say so over and rude patients, arrogant doctors, hierarchy games within their field etc.

Personally I would never become a nurse because I am not suitable for that field personality wise, more people should look at the type of person they are as well, before hopping on the nursing bandwagon simply for the solid payday it provides.
Agree. This is also why I didn't want to go to nursing school and become a RN. I didn't like my CNA job and wasn't into it like my coworkers were (who were in school to become an RN). It just isn't for some people. The duties, the environment, the hierarchy, ect, all come into play and a lot of people don't add them all up before going off to school.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,461 times
Doll eyes explanation pretty much sums up the research I've done about the field. I have a people's personality when I want, but I admit I do much better helping people behind the scenes(implementing policies, doing research, speaking up, giving support) than I do firsthand. That is one of the reasons why I took a step back.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Thank you. I'm sick and tired of being seen as some angel of mercy,who doesn't mind getting low pay.
I don't see anything wrong with some nurse "doing it for the money".
Why not? Other jobs do "it" for the money too.
I guess they expect nurses to live in a shack and get paid pennies,but as long as she loves her job she is happy?

Listen up people,we have bills too. The goverment doesn't give ANYONE a break.
And sorry,if nursing were paying $10/hr I wouldn't work as one.
Well,maybe,because its the only thing I know. I have been a nurse since age 22,before that a Cna at 20.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You are just paying a lot more than most. The data is not made up.
Although I hate the costs, the best schools are really expensive. Sorry, just have a sample size of a few thousand individuals I have worked with. Pick most of the first-tier and 2nd-tier schools, and you will find the prices not far out of line. Easy to blow $50K a year, even on a so-so school. Even at a grade-B school was $35K a year... so why even bother going 2nd-rate, unless you kid isn't good enough to get into a top school, or parents don't place a high enough value on a top education? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tier-1:

Columbia University – TBD – 2010-2011 cost was $56,684
Dartmouth College – 5.9% increase – $55,365
Cornell University – 4.5% increase – $54,645
University of Pennsylvania – 3.9% increase – $53,976
Brown University – 3.5% increase – $53,136
Yale University – 5.8% increase – $52,700
Harvard University – 3.8% increase – $52,650
Princeton University – 1% increase – $49,069

The tier-2 list is a lot longer, but not much cheaper (actually, some are quite a bit higher).
JHU is higher than all of them on the list above.

You gets what you pays for

Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Kiplinger has recently released a list of the ten best college majors for your career. It ranks nursing as the second best major after Pharmacy and Pharmacology. Some of the majors are associates degrees. For nursing, it lists, "Projected job growth for this field, 2010–2020: 26%."

10 Best College Majors for a Lucrative Career - Kiplinger

Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Ask someone who is about to pay for it... (oops, that is me). $65K a year times 7, and that doesn't include the PhD (though I will not pay for that).
GWU debt is $200K, JHU is twice that.
When you have written the checks, then I will lay off the 'Chronic Dis-information' that is spewed on this site.
I'd say that most of the "chronic disinformation" is coming from you.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Although I hate the costs, the best schools are really expensive. Sorry, just have a sample size of a few thousand individuals I have worked with. Pick most of the first-tier and 2nd-tier schools, and you will find the prices not far out of line. Easy to blow $50K a year, even on a so-so school. Even at a grade-B school was $35K a year... so why even bother going 2nd-rate, unless you kid isn't good enough to get into a top school, or parents don't place a high enough value on a top education? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tier-1:

Columbia University – TBD – 2010-2011 cost was $56,684
Dartmouth College – 5.9% increase – $55,365
Cornell University – 4.5% increase – $54,645
University of Pennsylvania – 3.9% increase – $53,976
Brown University – 3.5% increase – $53,136
Yale University – 5.8% increase – $52,700
Harvard University – 3.8% increase – $52,650
Princeton University – 1% increase – $49,069

The tier-2 list is a lot longer, but not much cheaper (actually, some are quite a bit higher).
JHU is higher than all of them on the list above.

You gets what you pays for
You will pay a lot less at a top public. Most people are not going Ivy league and many that do have money.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Agree. This is also why I didn't want to go to nursing school and become a RN. I didn't like my CNA job and wasn't into it like my coworkers were (who were in school to become an RN). It just isn't for some people. The duties, the environment, the hierarchy, ect, all come into play and a lot of people don't add them all up before going off to school.

that's a good indication, if you didn't like CNA you might not like RN, LOL. BUT honestly a lot of the RN's I've known put all the sh*t jobs onto the CNA, not sure if you found that to be the case or not. Maybe that makes a difference? I dunno.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM

506 posts, read 958,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
that's a good indication, if you didn't like CNA you might not like RN, LOL. BUT honestly a lot of the RN's I've known put all the sh*t jobs onto the CNA, not sure if you found that to be the case or not. Maybe that makes a difference? I dunno.
From what I gathered from being a CNA briefly at a rehab/LTC facility, the RNs and LPNs just charted and passed out meds the whole time. Their job didn't seem too bad. The CNAs did most of the hard tasks (changing patients, showers, bed baths, transferring, feeding, etc). Occasionally the nurse would pass out a patients meal tray, but that was it. The CNAs did the rest. Idk if this is how most facilities are run, but this was my situation. I heard stories from people that I met in school that said that RNs had to do the things that CNAs do plus nursing duties.

All I know is being a CNA and working in the field (even if it was brief) made me realize that working in that environment wasn't for me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities