Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,711,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Not trying to be your mom here ... but why would a 24-year-old want to hang out with TEEN-AGERS, as you put it? That's a little creepy. Sorry, but there IS a big difference between 18 and 24 -- not in looks necessarily, but usually in attitude, maturity level, etc.

One of my students just turned 30 but could EASILY pass for 20. I had no idea she was a non-traditional student until she told me. She doesn't hide her age (i.e., if someone were to ask her how old she was, she'd be honest) but she doesn't advertise it either. OTOH, she's not interested in acting like an 18-year-old or being around 18-year-olds in her "off" time.

If you look younger than 24, probably no one will ever ask, and you don't have to tell them. But if your friends are all 18 and they find out you are 24/25, that might make them think you are a little, well, creepy.

I don't mean to sound mean. I DO understand that the social aspect of college is important. If there are grad students at your college/university, you may fit in better with them in terms of age/life experiences.
18-25 last time I checked, was all within the same age group. Of course there is a difference between an 18 year old and a 24/25 year old, but its not so great that they wouldn't have anything in common. Partying, drinking, etc is all to do. Only difference is those over 21 can drink legally and are more "polished" as someone put it. Not a major difference though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:41 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,101,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
18-25 last time I checked, was all within the same age group. Of course there is a difference between an 18 year old and a 24/25 year old, but its not so great that they wouldn't have anything in common. Partying, drinking, etc is all to do. Only difference is those over 21 can drink legally and are more "polished" as someone put it. Not a major difference though.
Not saying they wouldn't have anything in common, but there is a big difference between 18 and 24, especially given that the OP apparently went through something serious that made him leave school (and we don't need to know what it was). As I wrote, I would find the idea of a 24-year-old wanting to hang out with 18-year-olds creepy. Not trying to be mean, and as I also wrote, there are likely "older" students that he could meet/be friends with.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 AM

72 posts, read 224,911 times
Think about it this way, the OP would be 24 as a freshman, meaning that when all other freshman are 17/18, he'd be 24. Even when he was a senior (granted he got things done in 4 years), his graduating class of students would only be 22, while he'd be 28. There is usually a huge difference in the maturity, mindset, goals and general demeanor of those who are in their very early 20s, and those who are about to turn 30. Granted, this person didn't go to college when they were supposed to, so it's possible that their social development may have been delayed to this point and maybe they would fit in fine with 22 year olds as a 28 year old. It's quite possible that the traditional students would have no problem accepting him into their social circles (especially since he can buy alcohol etc.) and that his college experience wouldn't differ much from those who go right out of high school, it's just a little creepy and verging on sad that someone who will be about to hit 30 at that point would care so much about that stuff. But I guess if you never had friends or the social experience before, it might be more important that it should be at that age.
On another note, I'm not sure if this has come up before but is the OP planning on dorming? Can you imagine moving your 17 year old kid into a dorm on their first day of college and finding out that their roommate is some 24 year old? EEK! I'm not a parent yet and I would find that a little unnerving.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 64,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
Can you imagine moving your 17 year old kid into a dorm on their first day of college and finding out that their roommate is some 24 year old? EEK! I'm not a parent yet and I would find that a little unnerving.
Haha what an *******. Whatever, weirdo. I'll take my chances with the other people's advice rather than your judgmental ones.

Creeppy? "EEk"??

It sounds like you are the one lacking in maturity.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
it's just a little creepy and verging on sad that someone who will be about to hit 30 at that point would care so much about that stuff.
According to you? Are people like you born without compassion? I guess that part about me having missed out due to medical reasons did nothing to phase you. You need to shut up.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,634 times
you are 24 not 50...i'm sure youll be fine

Old 08-11-2012, 02:01 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,101,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0006 View Post
According to you? Are people like you born without compassion? I guess that part about me having missed out due to medical reasons did nothing to phase you. You need to shut up.
Um, you asked for advice about whether you would fit in. But when some of us tell you what you don't want to hear, like it's creepy for a 24-year-old to want to hang out with 17/18-year-olds, you tell us to shut up or call us weirdo's.

You don't want to believe that you, at 24, are different from a 17/18-year-old. Maybe you are just really, really, really immature and will fit in fine. (Actually, the way you answer posters that you disagree with shows a level of immaturity that DOES seem closer to 17/18 than 24.)

This is not about a lack of compassion, or thinking there's something odd about a 24-year-old as a first-year college student. I wish we had a LOT more non-traditional students at my college, as they tend to be much more mature and hard-working.

I wish you the best as a college student and hope you enjoy your years there.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,396,188 times
I think this is a NON-ISSUE. It sounds like more of a hang-up.

The minor variations in age are hardly noticeable. If this IS an issue for you, pick a big urban school like University of Minnesota, University of Texas-Austin, or University of Washington, where the age dispersion among undergrads will be a plus (and not a minus) and avoid the big state schools in rural America.

Focus on doing well and moving on to the next chapter of life after college. In other words, focus on your courses and grades.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, you asked for advice about whether you would fit in. But when some of us tell you what you don't want to hear, like it's creepy for a 24-year-old to want to hang out with 17/18-year-olds, you tell us to shut up or call us weirdo's.

You don't want to believe that you, at 24, are different from a 17/18-year-old. Maybe you are just really, really, really immature and will fit in fine. (Actually, the way you answer posters that you disagree with shows a level of immaturity that DOES seem closer to 17/18 than 24.)

This is not about a lack of compassion, or thinking there's something odd about a 24-year-old as a first-year college student. I wish we had a LOT more non-traditional students at my college, as they tend to be much more mature and hard-working.

I wish you the best as a college student and hope you enjoy your years there.
It's pretty amusing that you're trying to insult the level of my maturity, while you're the one flinging insults because I told you stop calling me a creep. Maybe you yourself haven't been to college yet, so your sense of logic is a bit off. But I made it pretty clear that I left when I was a sophomore. Why you are talking about me being a freshman is beyond me. Maybe some reading comprehension enhancement might be in order.

I'm telling you to shut up because you're telling me something I don't want to hear? It's one thing to tell me I won't fit in. It's another thing to call me creepy for wanting to experience a phase in everybody's life that I have not had the opportunity to go through yet. Does that make sense, or do I have to explain it even further?

I suggest you leave your judgmental attitude elsewhere. You're really really trying way too hard to act like some all-knowing grown up adult.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:10 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0006 View Post
I left school after sophomore yr because of medical reasons I'd prefer not to get into. Let's say I wasn't well enough to keep studying.

At 24, I'm finally going back. Obviously, like any other student, I want to participate in the social aspect of college as well. I want all of the fun that comes with college. But all of my friends have graduated and left. At 24, will I be too old to fit in and be social? Will people be like, "Man, who's that old guy," and not hang out with me? I know college is about studying and preparing for success in the real world, but it's unrealistic to not expect having a social life as well.
I don't think so. There are plenty of grad students your age. You can also meet people your age through off-campus activities, like volunteering for enviro or political action orgs, joining hiking groups, etc. As far as being in classes with younger people goes, I don't think people will notice much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities