Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM

912 posts, read 1,734,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
24? Don't sweat it. Anymore, people in their 30's and 40's are going back to school for second degrees or masters. The job market is just insane anymore. You may enter a field and hate it, or it may die out, or you hit a dead end, and voila' you find yourself having to go back again in your middle years when you never thought it would happen. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at being 24 and going back.
But those 30 & 40 year olds aren't going back and trying to have a social life, as the OP wants. They are probably commuting from home and leaving campus as soon as class ends to be with their families.

Still though, the OP shouldn't have any problems having a social life at just a couple years older than the majority of the students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:06 PM

472 posts, read 1,099,069 times
Keep on, honey! I'm 24 and still in school and I just got my mom enrolled in college for the first time and shes 56.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,846,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Twenty four is hardly old, most 24 year olds look like 18 year olds, or 21 year olds, I cannot tell the difference.

Anyway, you can legally drink, that itself will separate you from half the university (assuming you drink, just an example really). You can go to bars and get hammered while the under 21 crowd have to find sneaky ways to do it; and being over 21, you do not want to be around people drinking under age.

I was in the military dorms and was 23 years old. Me and about 5 or 6 other people were in the dayroom (basically a lounge) and drinking and watching TV. A dude walks in and says the Military Police were coming. Everybody scatters - 'cept me. LOL. The cop walks in and says, "That's a lot of booze for 1 guy." I just looked at him and grinned.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
24? Don't sweat it. Anymore, people in their 30's and 40's are going back to school for second degrees or masters. The job market is just insane anymore. You may enter a field and hate it, or it may die out, or you hit a dead end, and voila' you find yourself having to go back again in your middle years when you never thought it would happen. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at being 24 and going back.
This is a great post. So many people, for so many reasons, are embarking on the quest for additional education.

I graduated from college at 21.5 because I was a December baby who went to school "early." It was an urban campus and I really enjoyed knowing some "non-traditional" students, about 25% of the students I socialized with. They had different perspectives on life. It was the "packaged" crowd that I found boring.

I will admit, though, that I did NOT enjoy being in graduate school and couldn't wait to finish. The first thing I did was doze on the beach on the Florida Panhandle for a week.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,356,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Not trying to be your mom here ... but why would a 24-year-old want to hang out with TEEN-AGERS, as you put it?
The rule is:
N/2 + 7 >= 18.

Take your age, divide by 2, and add 7. As long as the person you are dating is that age or older, and at least 18, it's not creepy at all. Example:

If I were 46, IF I were dating, I could date a 30 year old-46/2 = 23 + 7 = 30.

By the N/2 +7 rule, a 24-year old can date 19 year olds and not have it be creepy.

18? Creeeepy....

Old 08-16-2012, 03:01 PM

472 posts, read 1,099,069 times
I'm 24 and the thought of me dating a 19 year old is weird. My boyfriend is 29. Lol to think that I could have 19-29 age range.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,356,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I'm 24 and the thought of me dating a 19 year old is weird. My boyfriend is 29. Lol to think that I could have 19-29 age range.
Actually, do the math backwards. YOUR range is:

Low:
24/2 + 7 = 19

High
X/2 + 7 = 24, X = 34

19-34

Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,717,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
The thing is, you probably aren't going to fit in no matter what you do or how you act. Students are going to notice that you are older and not interact with you the same way they do their peers that are still in their teens/early 20s. There is a pretty significant difference in maturity with your age bracket and theirs, not to mention the fact that you're coming in with a completely different mindset and set of experiences than they have. You will probably find yourself worlds apart from these kids, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You're an adult, act like one. Be serious about your courses, get a degree and get on with your life. Being a non-traditional student, you are not there to socialize like a teenager.
Lol what? I am 27 and go to junior college and fit in just fine. Just be yourself and no one will really care. Just don't act like just because you're older you can be smarter and cockier about it.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 PM

265 posts, read 535,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
lol, I am a college professor and old enough to be your mom. I didn't call you a creep or "fling" insults at you. I said it was creepy if a 24-year-old wants to hang out with 17/18-year-olds. There is a difference.

I didn't say ANYTHING about it being creepy that you want a social life in college. In fact, as I wrote in an earlier post, I absolutely agree that the social aspect of college/university is important. But you can HAVE a social life in a college/university town with people who are closer to your own age. I am sorry if you find that insulting. (Do you really WANT to hang out with teenagers?)

And sorry, I missed what year you were in college and didn't want to go through and read all the posts again. But my comments were about your AGE and not your year in college.

Karen, as a 23 yo old undergrad, I completely agree with you and think the OP is misinterpreting what you are saying and getting quite defensive.

To the op:I think you should be just fine but as others have said, focus on your grades and building a resume and the social life will come. If you really concerned about building a social network immediately, I'd look to other students in your major(the more serious ones atleast) since you'll have a common interest and would be great for networking. Also maybe look to the more MATURE juniors/seniors.. No one is insinuating you are a creep as far as I can tell, but rather the notion of someone of 24 might be a little uncomfortable/awkward around 18/19 year olds. While I have nothing against them and wish them all the best, I have no desire to hang out or 'party' with them. They tend to be pretty immature and for the most part have different attitudes and lack the experiences that someone of our age or older has(which is normal). Trust me, I think once you get on campus you'll see (or hear!) what I mean and you won't care to mingle with this crowd as much as you thought. At any rate good luck to you.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 PM

110 posts, read 383,870 times
OP-

How old do you look? How old do you feel and act?

Age is relative, and usually defined by perception. If you'd rather hang out with 18 yr olds, by all means do so. It's your opportunity to do so. If you have hangups about your own age, people are going to pick up on it more than if you draw attention to it. If ppl ask your age, tell them the truth and most won't care. Girls in general like older guys anyway.

If it's because you missed out on partying the first time around, join a fraternity. There's probably at least one that will pledge you (You're my boy, Blue!). I did, and it was a lot of fun. I was "old" because I joined at 19, but I knew at least one girl who was in her early 20s who did so and had fun for her last year of college. Looking back post-grad, I enjoyed the partying, but I probably would have focused a little more on studying to balance it all out.

Enjoy college. It'll be awesome even though you're older. Hang out with the military grads or grad students if you get the cold shoulder from the 18 yr olds. It might happen if you just look older, but don't let it take away from your experience. Don't let your age become a hangup for you and you can laugh off the "old man" title you'll get from the 18-21 yr olds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities