Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,608,320 times

Advertisements

eh I am back in school at 26 for a 2nd degree in nursing- a route I wager many are doing atm, whether it be nrusing, accounting or whatever. College is not just for high shcool grads anymore!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 PM

506 posts, read 959,395 times
I was thinking about the same thing OP. Being 22 already and planning to transfer next year, I know I wouldn't want to hang out with the younger college kids since most are teens still and more immature. I will probably hang out with grad students (if the school I go to has a graduate program) or people around the town I go to school at who are older.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM

114 posts, read 240,001 times
I went back at 24 and it worked out for the best in terms of financial aid and grants, but if your thinking about school and the first thing that comes to mind is a social life, dont go back to school, your not ready

Old 09-12-2012, 01:13 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,957,434 times
I'm 24 and in college right now, I took some time off myself. I'm an engineering student taking a rather high courseload to allow me to finish early so I rarely have time to do anything besides go to school, study or work. I don't feel that I have too much of a problem with anything social related though. I don't have time to go party or anything like that, but I have acquaintances in all of my classes and no one really thinks of me as "old". Most of the people I know are 21-22 years old anyway, no one really cares.. or asks about age to be honest.

You'll also meet people who are your age, and quite a bit older than you.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,824,103 times
I feel i should have something to add. The company I worked for arranged for me to go back to Uni and get a second degree. I was 36. I am not sure my experience was relevant though.

To me, there was never a problem with a social life. I had a few advantages though.

At 36 I had come out of a long relationship. I had no kids and no partner. I decided not to go to Uni in my own country (How boring would that be, if you can pick anywhere.) I went back to my old uni, in the UK. Several of my old friends still lived in the same town, so acquiring a social life consisted of picking up my phone and letting people know I was back in town.

I ended up in Uni accommodation, though, because they had a special offer of free accommodation for returning alumni who came to do a masters. Aimed at east Asian students, but applicable to me, and free is free.

In the UK, people start uni at 18-19, and can buy alcohol from 18. I dealt with the age gap by telling them that I'd graduated forked for a few years, and my company sent me back for another degree. Never mentioned how old I was, just let them make their own assumptions. I also looked young back then. I always had young looks, I was last carded when buying alcohol at 44. I started out mostly hanging with my own friends, but I made friends quickly among the students. Couldn't help it really. When you are in uni, a lot of people have the time for sports and leisure activities that will fall by the wayside when you get to work. go rockclimbing or diving with people, have a couple of beers afterwards, you make friends.

I suppose from their viewpoint, I knew where the good pubs were, the lecturers you could ask for a hand, had a car, and was honestly a bit disinterested with my own friend group elsewhere. That, especially the last, makes for popularity.

In the UK, you start uni at 18-19 take 3, sometimes 4 years for a bachelors and another 2 for a masters. So the "normal" age range is 18-25. With a sprinkling of mature and sponsored students. And people mix freely. When you start serious work, your colleagues will range from their twenties to at least their fifties, uni is where you start learning adult socialization. Someone who needs to be protected from contact with the "adults" of 24 in their first year of uni...thats special needs territory.

So from my viewpoint, 24 is in the bog standard age range. I doubt I'd be able to tell you from a 20-year old, and I don't see why I should bother. I don't see that there is a difference.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:29 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You'll be fine. A lot of people go back to school at your age and older. One of my best friends went back as a freshman at 24 and fits in just fine. As long as you don't mind hanging out with people a few years younger than you, you can pretty much have a regular college life. I do want to re-iterate what the above poster said, and focus on your academics. The "college life" of getting hammered senseless is not everything it seems and can really come back to bite you later in life. I just turned 27 and am having a difficult time getting on my feet because I wasn't responsible at age 23. That doesn't mean you can't go out and have fun, just be sensible about it and keep a healthy study/social balance.
I took freshman science classes with a 26yo once. He had already had a BA but after a few years of wasting his time in the arts world he'd gone back to school in science. I liked him.
Found him pretty cool and wise etc Being 30 and hanging out with undergrads might be a challenge but being 24yo shouldn't be a problem except for the most immature of party school frat boys.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,137,617 times
I'm 22 and due to some unfortunate circumstances, I am only a Junior. The maturity level between the freshmen and me is astounding. I'm working two jobs and trying to put myself through school, while many of these 18 year olds have never had a job and have mommy and daddy paying their way. I know what I want out of life. Even though the age gap is only four years, a lot happens in that time period. At eighteen, I was clueless and working minimum wage. Now I'm on a path to a career, I'm much more focused and determined and I've had the opportunity to do things that the younger crowd doesn't...like going to Europe by myself for my 21st birthday.

There are plenty of people our age going to college. I'd suggest seeking out non-traditional students. They are more serious about their education and they don't have to sneak alcoholic drinks.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,856,507 times
You'll be fine. I am 26 and only a sophomore in college, I took some time off from school after my first disastrous attempt at college to do a stint in the Army. Older non traditional undergrads are a pretty common sight, plenty are going back to school to get something more out of life. Now that I'm a little bit older, I actually know what I want out of life and how to get there; I wish I could've said the same years ago.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:13 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,025,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0006 View Post
It's pretty amusing that you're trying to insult the level of my maturity, while you're the one flinging insults because I told you stop calling me a creep.
No, I'll agree with her. You do sound extremely immature and probably will fit in fine with the 17-19 year olds. And yes, there is something creepy about a 24 year old worried about making an impression with 17-19 year olds. Get a grip, then grow up.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:45 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,531,121 times
24 is still so incredibly young, but youthful energy fades quickly. Don't waste it in partying! Learn all that you can, make straight A's, delve into your coursework, do an international experience, get a great internship and then go to grad school! At least, those are the things that I would have accomplished in my 20's if I could do it all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities