Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When did I make fun of anyone?

I don't think that people who cannot complete the requirements for a college degree should have one. I don't think the reason that they cannot complete the requirements matters. A college degree should represent a minimum level of functioning. If people cannot meet that level then they shouldn't have a degree. Dyscalculia or not.

What an *******,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 PM

19,815 posts, read 18,116,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila1975 View Post
What an *******,
No. The poster you quoted above is correct.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have been kind of disturbed by some recent posts where people have said that they did no or possibly could not graduate from college without passing Math, most often Algebra.

That's sad to me. People have different skills and gifts and some people are more Right brained, creative, and language oriented while others are more left brained, mathematically oriented. I know that's terribly;y simplistic, but you get the idea.

Back in the mid 70s through early eighties, there were many good colleges that did not require any mathematics in order to graduate. In fact, it was looking as though General Education, or Distributional Requirements were going to be a thing of the past.

However, at most colleges and universities by the late 80s they were back in full force.

I started wondering if there were, other than Harvard, any 4 year institutions that did not require mathematics and I thought I'd share my initial findings. I still need to completely verify them though.

There are some, but not many. According to what I have read the following schools do not require one Math course in order to graduate -

Earlham
Brown
Hiram
Bard
Evergreen
Kenyon
and Smith

There are colleges that permit a Science Substitution for those with a diagnoses of Dyscauclia. Many people, including the Spell Check on my computer, have never heard of Dyscaculia.
Essentially it's dyslexia but with numbers.

While doing my research I came across some forums where people got down right mean and nasty at the thought that a person could graduate from college with out an understanding of Math. People were calling others "Morons" "Lazy" "hopeless" and worse.

It's funny, we do not ask STEM majors to write a poem or short story in order to graduate. They just need to read one, or several, and write down what they think of it. They need to know a few famous poets and short story writers and the type of literature they write. But, they do not actually need to WORK in prose or poetry. Just know about it.

After all, they are never going to actually need to write a poem, a story or a book. And I agree with that.

However Right Brained folks do not only need to know what calculus, algebra, and trigonometry are, what they are used for and be able to spout off the names of a few famous mathematicians, they need to WORK mathematical problems when in fact they are never going to need to solve an equation or what ever else those people do because I haven't done it or needed it since ...1980 something...

It's not exactly fair.

ANYWAY - Please add to my already scanty list. Really don't want to argue about who needs Math or doesn't. I would just like to compile a list of colleges that don't require math.
You are significantly underselling what STEM students must study. I just looked to be sure, my son had to take 30hrs. of humanities within his biology undergrad course load.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:57 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,483,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You are significantly underselling what STEM students must study. I just looked to be sure, my son had to take 30hrs. of humanities within his biology undergrad course load.
30 hours of humanities or 30 hours of humanities and social sciences? He took 30 hours of art, philosophy, religion, languages, cultural anthropology, archaeology, and/or literature? That's not the norm.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:27 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It seems most people with humanities majors vastly underestimate how much humanities STEM majors must take as part of the program. Just checked the school daughter just graduated from. It also was 30 hours of lit, foreign language, composition, history, social science, and other liberal arts courses.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
30 hours of humanities or 30 hours of humanities and social sciences? He took 30 hours of art, philosophy, religion, languages, cultural anthropology, archaeology, and/or literature? That's not the norm.
Yes, it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It seems most people with humanities majors vastly underestimate how much humanities STEM majors must take as part of the program. Just checked the school daughter just graduated from. It also was 30 hours of lit, foreign language, composition, history, social science, and other liberal arts courses.
Yes, both my daughters' colleges were similar.

Here's the University of Colorado's Gen Ed requirements:
https://www.colorado.edu/artsandscie...n-requirements

Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
We-ll, things vary and even if you get out without any math, getting back in might be difficult.

In 1990, I was trying to get into the graduate oceanography program at TAMU and one of the entry courses was something like MATH 600 (or something like that). As I recall, it was a course to enable one to handle the mathematics at the graduate level and it was beyond Calculus III.

As I recall for I didn't make it into the program at all but look at least a little further down the road than just the 3 months after graduation. If in anything else, the mind tends to learn easier when it is in an active academic program as oppose to being out of one for a while.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, it is.

Yes, both my daughters' colleges were similar.

Here's the University of Colorado's Gen Ed requirements:
https://www.colorado.edu/artsandscie...n-requirements
No, it is not the norm. The degree plan you linked to does not require 30 credits in humanities. It requires 6 credits in written communication, 12 credits in humanities, and foreign language proficiency. Some schools let you double dip, so the foreign language credits can satisfy the foreign language requirement and the humanities requirement. The plan you linked to lets you double dip between distribution and diversity.

Last edited by L210; 02-26-2019 at 07:58 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's not 30 credits in humanities. Social science and "other liberal arts" are not humanities. Humanities and social science are not the same thing. Humanities is not synonymous with liberal arts. Humanities is one category of the liberal arts. We don't call all birds chickens, and we don't call turkeys chickens. This is basic knowledge that everyone with a college degree should know. Even Katarina Witt's link has social science and humanities listed as separate categories.

By the way, my degrees are in various social sciences (not humanities), business/computer information systems, and biology. I'm also almost finished with a medical science degree at a Top 35 school. Yet, even I know the difference between humanities and everything else and know that most schools do not require anywhere near 30 humanities credits.

General education requirements are designed to give you a mix of all of the liberal arts: math, natural science, social science, and humanities. So, even non-STEM majors have to take STEM courses.

Last edited by L210; 02-26-2019 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
No, it is not the norm. The degree plan you linked to does not require 30 credits in humanities. It requires 6 credits in written communication, 12 credits in humanities, and a foreign language requirement. Some schools let you double dip, so the foreign language credits can satisfy the foreign language requirement and the humanities requirement.
It seems you are using a very reasonable but narrow definition of humanities and I'm, and some of the others too, are using a more broad definition. I was taught that the humanities include all art, all languages, all history, all philosophy, all religion, all politics, all literature, all law and all human geography..............with human geography pouring over into some economics, some anthropology, some sociology etc. Basically any area of study or significant portions within an area of study in which quantitative analysis does not apply well or at all.

In my book written communication is a humanity, although some technical writing probably isn't. Most everyone would consider foreign languages to fall under the humanities umbrella. The Humanists certainly did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities