Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,779,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was wondering the same. SUNY actually expels people. The don't need the money. They have the brains.
Well, considering SUNY is paid for by taxpayer money, I suppose they don't need the money from the students themselves. The state income tax and property tax in NY are paying for these universities. The high tax rate in NY is one of the many reasons so many of it's cities are losing population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Quote:
Then you haven't been working in my field - or paying attention.
I don't know if things have changed in the last 20 years, but at my high school, Binghamton, Buffalo and Stony Brook were considered safeties. I don't know if there are any high schools in California that would consider Cal a safety school, not even Whitney HS in Cerritos or The Palo Alto high schools. I have a great deal of respect for the SUNY's, but I just wouldn't compare them to Cal.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I don't know if things have changed in the last 20 years, but at my high school, Binghamton, Buffalo and Stony Brook were considered safeties. I don't know if there are any high schools in California that would consider Cal a safety school, not even Whitney HS in Cerritos or The Palo Alto high schools. I have a great deal of respect for the SUNY's, but I just wouldn't compare them to Cal.
People use Cal as a safety.

People in California typically don't because when you apply, if you want to apply to one UC or all of them (UCLA, UCSD, etc), then all you have to do is check a box. I applied to UCLA just for kicks even though I had absolutely no intention of going there.

But people from out of state use Cal as a safety. A couple of my friends did.

Of course, we're talking about top, top students. The same guys could have used Cornell as a safety too, although it might not have been the wisest move, they would have gotten in.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
People use Cal as a safety.

People in California typically don't because when you apply, if you want to apply to one UC or all of them (UCLA, UCSD, etc), then all you have to do is check a box. I applied to UCLA just for kicks even though I had absolutely no intention of going there.

But people from out of state use Cal as a safety. A couple of my friends did.

Of course, we're talking about top, top students. The same guys could have used Cornell as a safety too, although it might not have been the wisest move, they would have gotten in.
Thank you for the insight. I stand corrected.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:24 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
The Ivies are "safeties" if your parents are celebrities or if you yourself were a child star. Or you are a legacy. I'd also include the former Seven Sisters in that group.

Among my favorite groups of colleges are the ones that I listed before, especially those in the "Oberlin Group".

Ivies don't impress me, and actually I am a "legacy" at three - including a Seven Sister's school. Predictably, I was accepted into the two that I applied to out of high school. I did not have an interest in either.

I also think that the Mid-West has a huge number of truly elite, and interesting colleges and universities that are frequently ignored by people on the coasts and celebs.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:33 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,816,126 times
I LOVE the seven sister schools (well most of them anyway). Those are some fantastic schools. There are also a lot of underrated schools that are primarily known within a region - like say Pomona College or Occidental in California or Miami U in the Midwest... Or really half of the top liberal arts colleges... That are just incredible schools but they get overlooked due to lack of name recognition in the general populace.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Well, considering SUNY is paid for by taxpayer money, I suppose they don't need the money from the students themselves. The state income tax and property tax in NY are paying for these universities. The high tax rate in NY is one of the many reasons so many of it's cities are losing population.

And why SUNY colleges are as good as they are and are recognized world wide.

Can't argue about the taxes, though. I live in the Mid West now for that very reason.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I LOVE the seven sister schools (well most of them anyway). Those are some fantastic schools. There are also a lot of underrated schools that are primarily known within a region - like say Pomona College or Occidental in California or Miami U in the Midwest... Or really half of the top liberal arts colleges... That are just incredible schools but they get overlooked due to lack of name recognition in the general populace.

I agree Tina, about colleges in the Midwest, and to a lesser degree, the West.

The Seven Sisters once performed a social function, not only an educational function. They were created to educate young women, but they were also the place where upper to upper middle class young woman could meet the "right kind of man". Someone from a similar family. Upper crust.

Their heyday was in the 1920s through early 1960s. By the mid 60s, more women wanted to be educated in co-educational institutions.

By the time I applied to college, my mother had an almost pathological desire that I attend the Sister that she did. I had no interest. It had gone co-ed about ten years earlier. But it was still heavily female.

Many of the first men to attend were Gay. I am not Gay and I had a healthy interest in the opposite sex.

I think that the Sisters that remain women's colleges have a high percentage of Lesbian students. Also, students that come from cultures that are very conservative, with parents who are frightened that their daughters will engage in per-marital sex.

My daughter and her cousin and mt sister visited a few of them two years ago. That was my observation, especially at two. There were many openly Gay women, with extreme butch attire.
Also, many foreign students who seemed to stick together.

I also do not believe that young women "learn better" in an environment without men. When the graduate they live in a world that is "co-ed". They need to learn to compete in that world.

The Seven Sisters were a place where proper WASP young women could obtain a BA while learning the rules of etiquette, and spend a year abroad.

There were Sister colleges for non Protestant girls also. Catholics, and to a lesser extent Jews, had colleges where their bright daughters could learn - and meet suitable men.

The Catholic Church had Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart (now Manhattanville and co-ed) The Marymounts - the most prestigious one was absorbed into Fordham and then closed, College of Mount St, Vincent - all in New York.

The Boston Catholics had Emanuel and Our Lady of the Elms. Chestnut Hill served smart Catholic girls in Philadelphia.

There are several that served Jewish young women - Audrey Cohen College and Stern College for Women.

I have done quite a bit of study into this phenomena.

I'm interested in why you like these colleges?

PS - there were also the "Silly Sisters" for not so smart, but upper crust female students.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 PM

455 posts, read 1,399,047 times
Quote:
And why SUNY colleges are as good as they are and are recognized world wide.

Can't argue about the taxes, though. I live in the Mid West now for that very reason.
I'm a world traveler and I've never heard any SUNY school mention in a conversation. Just Ivies/Elite's and prestigious business schools in Europe like LBS. Not saying SUNY's suck or anything it's just not something people bring up internationally. Only time it really comes up is in this forum.

Last edited by curtisc83; 07-28-2013 at 10:39 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,236,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
And that's the first time I've seen Binghamton and Berkley in the same list. Probably won't stop laughing for a while now.
Then you probably haven't heard the term "public ivies" before either...

There were originally 8 schools listed as "public ivies", the original 8 didn't include SUNY Binghamton but did include Cal....Binghamton was listed as one of the few "worthy runners up" to the original 8.

So, Cal and SUNY Binghamton are not as far apart as you believe....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities