Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,661,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Then you probably haven't heard the term "public ivies" before either...

There were originally 8 schools listed as "public ivies", the original 8 didn't include SUNY Binghamton but did include Cal....Binghamton was listed as one of the few "worthy runners up" to the original 8.

So, Cal and SUNY Binghamton are not as far apart as you believe....

I'm in agreement.

In academic circles, Binghamton and Stony Brook - especially SB, are recognized.

Stony Brook is no one's safety school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I'm in agreement.

In academic circles, Binghamton and Stony Brook - especially SB, are recognized.

What academic research have they published recently? We (Princeton) constantly compete with other top caliber schools for research grant funding and I have never came across a proposal from Binghamton or Stony Brook. It might just be that they don't overlap into my areas of research.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,148,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I'm in agreement.

They're both good schools. The problem is, when you start calling Binghamton and StonyBrook world class research institutions then every 100 schools rated above the both of them are world class research institutions as well. University of Indiana becomes a world class school, University of Iowa, University of Alabama!

They're just decent schools for a good price and that's it.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,506,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What academic research have they published recently? We (Princeton) constantly compete with other top caliber schools for research grant funding and I have never came across a proposal from Binghamton or Stony Brook. It might just be that they don't overlap into my areas of research.
I'm going to guess that Stony Brook conducts a lot of research in areas in which it is highly ranked: Clinical Psychology #11, Math #24 (Topology #12 and Geometry #6), and Physics #23 (Nuclear #4).

Stony Brook University--SUNY | Overall Rankings | Best College | US News

Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm going to guess that Stony Brook conducts a lot of research in areas in which it is highly ranked: Clinical Psychology #11, Math #24 (Topology #12 and Geometry #6), and Physics #23 (Nuclear #4).

Stony Brook University--SUNY | Overall Rankings | Best College | US News
Which leads me to believe they would be doing research under NSF grants. Are you familiar with any specific work?

Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 AM

455 posts, read 1,400,877 times
A world recognized Uni would be in the World rankings.

World's Best Universities; Top 400 Universities in the World | US News

Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,661,055 times
I don't follow SBU's research carefully. Most of it is done with Brookhaven National Lab, and Cold Spring Harbor Lab.

I know they are doing some research in liver cancer. At least they were last year. I think they had something to do with the bar code.

I think Princeton invented college football, eating clubs and elevated snobbery to new levels. Sis boom bah.

For example, the Ivies are accepting some people who are obscenely rich, but not academics. Here's and example -

I feel fairly sure that Brooke Shields, with her spotty academic career would not have been admitted to SBU, though; and I believe she did attend Princeton. And graduated!

However, professor; it's really not incumbent on me or others to keep track of the research that is conducted at Stony Brook. If you are interested, look it up.

You could probably Google it. Try key words "Stony Brook University research" That should do it. I'm sure that you will learn a lot!

They are a member of the AAU.

Personally I've noticed that, most important research seems to be coming out of large public research universities.

My undergraduate years were spent at a small, expensive liberal arts college deep in the northern woods woods. I had no interest in "Ivies". I then received a M Div, and no; not at Princeton. Way too conservative for me.

Actually, while science is interesting to me, no let me correct that, fascinating, I doubt I'd have passed freshman math at SBU.

SBU would not interest me either, Too STEM and too research oriented.

Last edited by SoulJourn; 07-29-2013 at 03:13 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,506,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Which leads me to believe they would be doing research under NSF grants. Are you familiar with any specific work?
The information is easy to find with a quick Google search.
Stony Brook University
Four Stony Brook Professors Receive NSF CAREER Awards Totaling Nearly $2 Million
Stony Brook University Receives NSF Grant to Design Revolutionary "Reality Deck"
SBU Researchers Receive NSF Award For Big Data Storage
Stony Brook University Receives NSF Grant for Water Remediation Technology

Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 AM

455 posts, read 1,400,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
A world recognized Uni would be in the World rankings.

World's Best Universities; Top 400 Universities in the World | US News
SUNY Albany is World ranked. I did not know that but am glad I now know.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:28 AM

9,837 posts, read 11,245,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
I agree that where you go to HS matters, but not for the reasons you think...

All 87 of those kids at Blake probably applied to at least some Ivies. Maybe half a dozen at your kid's school did.
Agreed. A couple hundred Grand in total tuition (that detail alone) will scare off a lot of people. I really didn't like that price tag either. Also, 80% of the 650 kids at my DS's high school would have no business applying. Realistically, if you don't know someone (my G.W. Bush example) you have to be in the top 10% in the nation to even bother trying. I'm sure nearly all of the 87 kids at Blake are in the top 10%. To have a real shot (baring relationships), you need to be in the top 1-3%. For example, at Dartmouth, 40% of the admitted students are Valedictorians. http://now.dartmouth.edu/2011/03/dar...class-of-2015/

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
However, the big advantage the private school kids have is that they are surrounded by people who understand "the game." It's not so much that the counselors can pick up the phone and get someone in to an Ivy, it is that they understand what those schools are looking for and the best way to craft and time an application to meet those unwritten requirements. Furthermore, those kids are around parents and older friends who have been down this path before, so they are more likely to have insight in to what works and what doesn't. The fact that admissions knows kids with a certain GPA/SAT profile from that HS have been successful before helps too, when compared to students from an unknown school. And as you mentioned, kids whose parents are paying for private HS are more likely to check the "no financial aid needed" box than kids in an average public school.
I agree with your overall assessment and that was my point (you said it better than I did).

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-29-2013 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities