Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. DIII schools don't have athletic scholarships

2. The bolded is a myth, there are no "4 year" scholarships at DI colleges, they are ALL year to year and can be pulled at any time. Now, a college can (and should) take care of an athlete that is injured as you mentioned, and many do, but they are under no obligation to do so.
Not true anymore. Some programs are offering four year scholarships now. I know some in the Big 10 do it.

UF has done this also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:57 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,816,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
An A- is 3.75 and a B+ is 3.25 at schools that give plusses and minuses. If you get 50% As and 50% Bs, your GPA is 3.5.
Yes you are right, I was careless. Typically though, a 3.5 student isn't equal A/Bs, they are more A-/B+ or the numerical equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
There are several ways to get to a 3.5 . But 1/2 A's and 1/2 B's is one way. IMHO, a 3.5 anyway you slice it isn't (generally) Harvard material.
Actually the scatter plot starts bunching up a little higher than 3.5 so I guess it's pointless to argue about anyway. LOL. It seems the concentration starts somewhere in the 3.6/3.7 range.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yes you are right, I was careless. Typically though, a 3.5 student isn't equal A/Bs, they are more A-/B+ or the numerical equivalent.
Not all schools use pluses and minuses.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:13 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,816,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Not all schools use pluses and minuses.
I know, that's not what I was trying to say. Hell, not all schools use letter grades either for that matter. LOL. I'm just saying that the 3.5 student who gets half As and half Bs are rarer than the students whose grades actually hover around a B+/A- minus mark, or who makes something like 90s on a regular basis. A 3.5 GPA doesn't automatically mean a student got As and Bs.

This is probably my fault, but I think this conversation is verging on getting stuck on arguing small details that don't really have anything to do with the main point. So let's just let it go, I think it's better that way.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 PM

460 posts, read 982,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I know, that's not what I was trying to say. Hell, not all schools use letter grades either for that matter. LOL. I'm just saying that the 3.5 student who gets half As and half Bs are rarer than the students whose grades actually hover around a B+/A- minus mark, or who makes something like 90s on a regular basis. A 3.5 GPA doesn't automatically mean a student got As and Bs.

This is probably my fault, but I think this conversation is verging on getting stuck on arguing small details that don't really have anything to do with the main point. So let's just let it go, I think it's better that way.

Back to the main points...

Can anybody share their experience going to an elite college prep school? How do the counselors fare in molding the right image of their students for Ivy Leagues adcoms? Is the tuition worth it?

Some notable schools:
Horace Mann and Trinity in NYC
Harvard-Westlake in LA

Last edited by AngusHsu; 08-08-2013 at 03:32 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 03:21 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Define "fair".
At the very least, I consider quotas on the basis of race and different cut-off scores for different races; such as a higher cut-off score requirement for "Asians" compared to "Hispanics" to be pseudo-scientific and incommensurate with the supposed rigorous and analytical methodologies of higher education.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post

Can anybody share their experience going to an elite college prep school? How do the counselors fare in molding the right image of their students for Ivy Leagues adcoms? Is the tuition worth it?
Harvard-Westlake in LA
I'm not clear what your main points are other than I agree with you that Ivy League admissions have gotten more fair. My son was accepted to two out of the three Ivy League schools that he applied. He was not a legacy. He went to an above average but not outstanding public school. He was ranked second in his class with weighted AP classes. The valedictorian went to Harvard. My son had very few extracurricular activities other than playing soccer. He had no volunteer work and did not have a job in HS. He scored very high on the SAT with an 800 math and 760 verbal. He took seven AP classes and scored all 5s and a 4, but at least three of the AP tests were his senior year after he had applied and been accepted to college. If he wrote any college essays, I wasn't aware of them. He would have had no assistance and would likely have spent a minimal amount of time working on them.

I'm aware that many students with the highest SAT scores and GPAs do not get accepted at Ivy League schools. They appear to be very interested in having a very diverse freshmen class with at least one student from every state and a high number of foreign countries. Penn on the other hand takes a higher number of Pennsylvania HS graduates.

I think the Ivies must have a weighting system for high schools. Our local district seems to have one or two students accepted to Ivy League schools in most years. I'm also aware that there are similar sized schools in the area that have never had a graduate accepted to an Ivy League school.

My son did mention that he was one of the few students who had gone to a public school. When he moved in, I noticed a large number of Andover, Exeter, Deerfield and Groton t-shirts.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 08-08-2013 at 07:04 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post

Some notable schools:
Harvard-Westlake in LA
How would you define elite? There's a LOT of different opinions about what's considered 'Elite', especially in NYC. You should read some of the 'TT' discussions out there.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 AM

460 posts, read 982,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
How would you define elite? There's a LOT of different opinions about what's considered 'Elite', especially in NYC. You should read some of the 'TT' discussions out there.
Elite is 30% or more of the class going to an Ivy League (plus Stanford, MIT, Duke, Northwestern, U of Chicago, Cal Tech, Williams) in a typical year.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. DIII schools don't have athletic scholarships

2. The bolded is a myth, there are no "4 year" scholarships at DI colleges, they are ALL year to year and can be pulled at any time. Now, a college can (and should) take care of an athlete that is injured as you mentioned, and many do, but they are under no obligation to do so.
NCAA changed that and colleges can now offer a 4 year scholarship. In the past however, you were correct, scholarships were on an annual basis. Another note, however, if an athlete is injured playing their sport for the college, the college cannot revoke their scholarship, nor can they be pulled at any time. It's a contract and yes, there are some cases where they can pull the scholarship but they are mostly for gross misconduct type issues. Scholarshipped athletes are also covered under a medical plan at the various colleges so they either pay for any medical care or at minimum, pick up the costs your personal insurance does not cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities