Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 12:54 PM

19,804 posts, read 18,099,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I can't think of a single school that doesn't have transfer agreements with CC's in their state, nor that specifically state they don't accept CC credits. I transferred to a very competitive occupational therapy program at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, but also got accepted to every other school I applied to for OT, including Virginia Commonwealth, Temple and Fairleigh Dickenson when 80% or so of applicants didn't get into any OT program....with all my perquisites coming from Community college. Not only did I get accepted, I got $6000 from Jefferson because I had the hghest GPA of the incoming occupational therapy students. It didn't matter at all that the GPA was from CC.

It's not something you have to guess at anyway. Their websites and catalogs are very detailed and specific on what classes transfer.

What college do you know that has a policy not to accept CC transfer classes?
It's not that one likely cannot use CC hours it's that doing so comes with a fairly long set of potential negatives.

1. Most colleges have a minimum CC GPA requirement that is intractable.
2. Per some schools CC hours may be used in major in some circumstance, out of major only etc.
3. Some career paths indirectly frown on CC hours.
4. It takes real effort to take say 60 CC hours and transfer all of those hours into any STEM major at university. Possible sure, realistic often not.
5. No one who is honest will claim that say "engineering calculus" at brandX CC is on par with the same at A&M, Penn State, Cal etc.

And it can be something you have to guess at. Some schools review inbound hours and then let students know which count where if at all given ones major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 01:00 PM

7,361 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
I can't think of a single school that doesn't have transfer agreements with CC's in their state, nor that specifically state they don't accept CC credits.

It's not something you have to guess at anyway. Their websites and catalogs are very detailed and specific on what classes transfer.

What college do you know that has a policy not to accept CC transfer classes?
In New York, all SUNY (state universities) & CUNY (city universities) are required to take NY community college credits.

Lots of people go this route and it works well. It really isn't any different than commuting to a nearby state university at a fraction of the cost.

What surprised me is some colleges do not take AP course credit for college credit.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:19 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It's not that one likely cannot use CC hours it's that doing so comes with a fairly long set of potential negatives.

2. Per some schools CC hours may be used in major in some circumstance, out of major only etc.
4. It takes real effort to take say 60 CC hours and transfer all of those hours into any STEM major at university. Possible sure, realistic often not.
5. No one who is honest will claim that say "engineering calculus" at brandX CC is on par with the same at A&M, Penn State, Cal etc.

And it can be something you have to guess at. Some schools review inbound hours and then let students know which count where if at all given ones major.
I don't know that any of the above is true. Like I said, my program was extremely competitive to get into and CC had no negative affect at all. GPA requirement would be the same whether they are coming from a 4-year school or CC. My 3.96 from CC wasn't worth less than 3.96 in the eyes of the University because it was CC.

Show me something from a college website where it specifically says CC classes are treated differently by admissions than transfers from a 4-year college. Most transer students aren't going to top tier expensive private schools, they are coming from places like Rutgers, Stockton University etc. Are Stockton engineering calculus classes on par with A&M? I doubt it. So it has nothing to do with whether it was CC vs 4 -year school, it only makes a difference if it is top tier school vs any other school whether 2 years or 4 years. So by your logic anyone who can't afford A&M, Penn State or equivalent is wasting their time, because whatever school they go to their classes won't weight the same as those schools?

Old 08-06-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:

This is true for all transferred credits. It doesn't matter if it's a cc or another four year college. The grade needs to be above B.

Quote:
Again, this might be true - but it would be true for all transferred credits from a cc or another four year college.

Quote:
I've never heard of one. Once you obtain a bachelor degree from a college, doesn't anyone care where every single credit came from? Lots of people take summer courses at a local community colleges or university and transfer them over. Does anyone care about it - doubt it.

Quote:
If a student is very careful, yes.

Quote:
It's like saying is a state university credit on par with Harvard, Princeton or Yale? Yeah, there could be difference.

Is the 'engineering calculus" from a second rate four year college on par with A&M or Penn State? Probably not. Then the real question is it good enough. Is a second rate four year college on par with a community college? I would guess so.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know that any of the above is true. Like I said, my program was extremely competitive to get into and CC had no negative affect at all. GPA requirement would be the same whether they are coming from a 4-year school or CC. My 3.96 from CC wasn't worth less than 3.96 in the eyes of the University because it was CC.

Show me something from a college website where it specifically says CC classes are treated differently by admissions than transfers from a 4-year college. Most transer students aren't going to top tier expensive private schools, they are coming from places like Rutgers, Stockton University etc. Are Stockton engineering calculus classes on par with A&M? I doubt it. So it has nothing to do with whether it was CC vs 4 -year school, it only makes a difference if it is top tier school vs any other school whether 2 years or 4 years. So by your logic anyone who can't afford A&M, Penn State or equivalent is wasting their time, because whatever school they go to their classes won't weight the same as those schools?
Everything I wrote is correct. I'm tired of you calling me a liar every time we disagree about something.

ETA - Outside specific articulation agreements as noted by Dingo Gibby - within every decent school's transfer protocol will be a committee or group that reviews classes taken per rigor. If the group doesn't like your class, well you have a problem.

Last edited by EDS_; 08-06-2021 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-06-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
The "trick" is to find a CC that has a transfer agreement (articulation agreement) with a college/university that offers the course of study you want. These are formal agreements that are very specific as to what courses from the CC count for the 4 year school major and required minimum grade in each course necessary to get credit at the 4 year school.

They will take the credits as electives if they are C or better. However, the SUNY colleges may not count those credits to fulfil prereqs or major requirements unless there is an articulation agreement between the CC and the SUNY college.
Good post.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:52 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Quote:

Yes, EDS is correct. The key point isn't that a university won't accept CC credits. The question is whether those credits will apply toward a specific degree program. Esp when you are talking high end science and engineering programs. It's not like you take two years of Gen Eds in CC and then start your major in Junior year. In those programs you start your major day one of freshman year with weed out courses.

After you finish CC, you are still going to have to go back and take those weed out courses. That's why many schools that do have transfer agreement into engineering school have 2+3 program because it's going to take at least 5 to 5 1/2 years to complete the 4 year program.

And yes, in these fields, the better R1s and R2s do carry a greater career advantage than Local State Tech Community College.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
After you finish CC, you are still going to have to go back and take those weed out courses. That's why many schools that do have transfer agreement into engineering school have 2+3 program because it's going to take at least 5 to 5 1/2 years to complete the 4 year program.

And yes, in these fields, the better R1s and R2s do carry a greater career advantage than Local State Tech Community College.
What ocnjgirl said is absolutely true for 99% of people.

Quote:
What I have learned on CD is engineering schools are in their own creatures unlike other colleges.

I feel like there is such a disconnect between engineering students experiences with students from other fields of study. Maybe there should be a CD discussion solely on engineering schools.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
What ocnjgirl said is absolutely true for 99% of people.

What I have learned on CD is engineering schools are in their own creatures unlike other colleges.

I feel like there is such a disconnect between engineering students experiences with students from other fields of study. Maybe there should be a CD discussion solely on engineering schools.

What ocnjgirl said flatly is not true for 99% of students.

It's not just engineering students who run into these problems just about everyone studying STEM areas pre-biology, chemistry, math, computer science, oceanography, climatology, geology etc. can be tripped up by what tnff and I are talking about.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
What ocnjgirl said flatly is not true for 99% of students.

It's not just engineering students who run into these problems just about everyone studying STEM areas pre-biology, chemistry, math, computer science, oceanography, climatology, geology etc. can be tripped up by what tnff and I are talking about.
I stand corrected - it's other stem courses as well.

EXCEPT, a friend's son graduated from SUNY Albany with a degree in mathematics degree. He attended Hudson Valley Community College for the first two years and SUNY Albany accepted all his community college credits.

Ocngirl is an occupational therapist so some medical fields accept community college credits.

There is an exceptions for every rule.

It still isn't a bad idea to start at a community college.

If a four year college doesn't accept community college credits, the student has to retake some courses. Those courses are easier the second time around. Even if the student has a semester or two longer at a university, he still has lower college costs in the end.

In my days, most students graduated in four years. Today, students graduate in five or six years which was unheard of twenty/thirty years ago. I can't imagine not getting it done in four years, but this is so common now. Two years of a community college, followed by 2 1/2 or 3 years at a university isn't such a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities