Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 07:20 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Ronald Reagan cut federal grants and privatized loans. Bad policy for those of us who are middle income or less.
If it was bad, why didn't Bill Clinton or Barry Obama change things for the better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 08:00 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Are you saying people who never went to college never learned these things?
I know plenty of people who went to college that never learned these things.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Are you saying people who never went to college never learned these things?
Some don't. Some learn but it can be more difficult and disaster filled. Some who go to college also never learn these things, but it helps to have a lot of people in your peer group who just figured it out or learned fomr mistakes of others and can provide guidance that will be heeded. When you go out on your own - you are on your own. You do not have a lot of similarly situated people all around you every day helping you, or commiserating about these things. Many parents do not teach their kids a lot of these things, and many never learned it themselves. Young adults are inclined to dismiss advice from parents anyway. There are good aspects to peer pressure as well as bad, but people who jump out into the adult world without the college transition miss the benefit of learning from peers in a buffered transition. Yes, there are some antisocial colleges students who will not learn from their peers, but typical college students are going to have a much smoother and more through transition into adult responsibilities.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOne View Post
"Fat" in university budgets does not explain the big systemic, industry-wide, long-term rise in higher ed costs. It just doesn't. Nor would cutting such "fat" scale back costs to what they were in a bygone era. If it were that easy, then quite a few of the more than 3,000 colleges and universities in the U.S. would have 1982 tuition rates. Alas, none of them do.

The difficult answer is that costs have risen for a diverse and complex set of reasons, most of which are out of the control of the universities themselves and for which there are no "silver bullet" solutions. If it was "rock walls," then most schools would be cheap...because most schools don't have indoor rock climbing walls. If the higher ed cost rise was due to was deluxe living accommodations, then those schools that still have basic cinder-block dorms from decades ago -- and, to be clear, there are a lot of those around -- would have 1978 tuition rates.
Schools have made themselves believe they are locked into a desperate competition with other schools to attract students. To do so, they believe they must spend hundreds of millions a year on high tech, modern looking fancy buildings, and systems, subsidize outstanding athletes and facilities for them, beautify landscaping, etc. There is a huge amount of money wasted on things that have nothing to do with teaching and everything to do with spoiling. Then you have layer upon layer of worthless administration, professors who do not teach or who teach only one class, and payoffs for chronyism.

This may change as schools go more and more to virtual learning. I think that a college that just stuck to its old buildings, had athletics geared for anyone in the school to participate, limited the layers of administration and required all professors to teach at least four classes a semester, but charged 1/4 as much tuition, would do very well. While all these beautiful campuses are beautiful, do the students really want to pay for a beautiful campus that they will leave in four years but pay for for 20 or more years?

Old 04-06-2021, 03:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's not the college's job to prepare you for the workforce. The purpose of college is to provide the education -- the fundamental background -- reasoning ability, and the skills to be a self motivated learner so that you can be trained in multiple jobs over a career and adapt to those unknown changes that come along in life.

If you think college is about training you for the first job post college, you will be sorely disappointed. If you think it's about preparing you for adapting to the unknown, then you'll have a much better time of it.
if so,then why declare major like accounting,engineering,art history,why not give it a grand name like Your last chance to sponge off your parents in a Big way !!!!!!!
High school provides some of that-reasoning,history,problem solving,basic skills on how to do this and how to do that.plus what you learn from home.
4 YEARS is an awfully long time to learn some basic basics.
I used to live nearby an expensive private University, a father toured the school with his daughter and concluded,I am not going t spend 100K so my daughter with a liberal arts degree can work as a secretary!

Old 04-06-2021, 03:40 PM

I was watching the movie Bad Boys,starring Sean Penn,and I am amazed how mature physically and mentally they are in the juvenile prison,teenagers know a lot,and do more,like drinking,vaping,working and ****ing,
My thought is if a kid can drive,**** and answer back,he should be out of the house and make his own living.
This would solve some of our old age problems like retirement living,paying for medicare etc.
Think,is it fair to support a kid for 22 years?

Old 04-06-2021, 03:54 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Hmm.

It can be if you make it.

My parents paid for my undergrad degree, but I paid for my other degrees, and I have more than one 'other' degree.

Generally, I agree, community college to local 4 year, living under your roof is the way to go. That can be pretty reasonable, and HOPEFULLY even more so in the future.

The educational system works in a very odd way. You have very few opportunities to select/change careers, usually only two.

Yet ... you have to use one of your decisions up before you've even been able to make any real $ or live in the real world.

So, I would compel my child to go out and make some money without a degree, zero in on what kind of life they want and then go back for the degree.

Community college first while they also do that would be a good idea.

A FAR cry from my parents pushing me to get into the best school I could get into...
I gathered that you have more than one 'other' degree from your usage of the plural form of 'degree' in the second clause of that bolded sentence. I'd like to thank my second-grade English teacher for providing that pivotal bit of education--at a Catholic school paid for by my parents, it must be said.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:00 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
if so,then why declare major like accounting,engineering,art history,why not give it a grand name like Your last chance to sponge off your parents in a Big way !!!!!!!
High school provides some of that-reasoning,history,problem solving,basic skills on how to do this and how to do that.plus what you learn from home.
4 YEARS is an awfully long time to learn some basic basics.
I used to live nearby an expensive private University, a father toured the school with his daughter and concluded,I am not going t spend 100K so my daughter with a liberal arts degree can work as a secretary!
Quote:
I was watching the movie Bad Boys,starring Sean Penn,and I am amazed how mature physically and mentally they are in the juvenile prison,teenagers know a lot,and do more,like drinking,vaping,working and ****ing,
My thought is if a kid can drive,**** and answer back,he should be out of the house and make his own living.
This would solve some of our old age problems like retirement living,paying for medicare etc.
I’m sorry, what?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:04 PM

7,361 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Yes. My daughter got into graduate school today!!! I'm so proud of her and I am happy to help her financially.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:13 PM

I hope she will help you when you are old and needy,by then she may be burdened with her own house mortgage,student loan ,car loan,children college tuition.
what I mean to say is children mature faster these days,at 16 they know more than what we know at 16,some are no longer kids,they drive,smoke,****,work,must they go thru 4 years to learn basic skill ,why not spend the last 2 years of high school to learn the same courses they take when they are in first 2 years of college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities