Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,269,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You call those breakthroughs? How does ice on mars matter to any of us?
I think Nocera's work could certainly be a benefit to the west given all our problems with energy. Sequencing the genome of a cancer patient and her tumor is pretty huge as well.

Quote:
The person who cured AIDS in Germany had to practically destroy his patient and put him in danger before the bone marrow transplant could work. The other "breakthroughs" were meaningless or of only some significance.
It's definately sad that it happened, no doubt. But the possibility of... "Instead of transferring bone marrow from another person, doctors could take a few cells from a patient, modify them to be HIV-resistant and then put them back in."

would be huge for HIV patients. We all have our opinions of what is meaningless. Nothing in that article is meaningless to me.

Quote:
The fact that the research market is inundated with money yet provides little results too late is a major problem.
For most in the west there is not a day in our lives that does not include the use of modern science and technology. I think that it's such a large part of our lives that many don't even notice and just take it for granted. Kind of like not seeing our noses on our face. From the food we eat, to how we cook, communicate, entertain ourselves, attend to health problems, travel, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,069,781 times
I didn't say modern technology and modern science was taken for granted. I'm saying the market is saturated and we have very little advances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think Nocera's work could certainly be a benefit to the west given all our problems with energy. Sequencing the genome of a cancer patient and her tumor is pretty huge as well.

It's definately sad that it happened, no doubt. But the possibility of... "Instead of transferring bone marrow from another person, doctors could take a few cells from a patient, modify them to be HIV-resistant and then put them back in."

would be huge for HIV patients. We all have our opinions of what is meaningless. Nothing in that article is meaningless to me.

For most in the west there is not a day in our lives that does not include the use of modern science and technology. I think that it's such a large part of our lives that many don't even notice and just take it for granted. Kind of like not seeing our noses on our face. From the food we eat, to how we cook, communicate, entertain ourselves, attend to health problems, travel, etc.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I didn't say modern technology and modern science was taken for granted. I'm saying the market is saturated and we have very little advances.
Given the incredible advances in the field of genetics alone, I don't know how you can say that. Researchers have created materials that can bend light. That's sci-fi stuff right there. Heck, the fact that we have phones that respond to voice command is pretty amazing as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM

One of my favorite vids is in this link. I wish I could embed it, but I can't figure out how. If you have the time, check it out.

NOVA | scienceNOW | RNAi | PBS

Ah, I found it on youtube, but I can't figure out how to embed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-l8tqjm4Vg

Last edited by Braunwyn; 08-11-2009 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM

Oh, well yes those are interesting.

Quote:
Given the incredible advances in the field of genetics alone, I don't know how you can say that. Researchers have created materials that can bend light. That's sci-fi stuff right there. Heck, the fact that we have phones that respond to voice command is pretty amazing as well.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, well yes those are interesting.
There are all kinds of amazing things going on in science; beyond the cloak and dagger stuff. Part of the problem may be that people aren't aware of it. We're inundated with so much information that much of it goes unnoticed. And when amazing creations like voice recognition devices hit the market, for example, we're already desensitized via the media. If you and others don't already, you can subscribe to Scientific American. It's only around $50/yr (IIRC) and it comes monthly. There are a lot of great articles in that rag. For online reading, you can subscribe to New Scientist that updates in your email monthly.
http://www.newscientist.com/

Any way, RNAi is more up my alley and it was an incredible discovery. Again, tho, it may not come off exciting to those that don't have a background in the sciences. But, vids like the one I posted are very helpful.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:08 PM

I was talking about research outside of science and technology.

Quote:
There are all kinds of amazing things going on in science; beyond the cloak and dagger stuff. Part of the problem may be that people aren't aware of it. We're inundated with so much information that much of it goes unnoticed. And when amazing creations like voice recognition devices hit the market, for example, we're already desensitized via the media. If you and others don't already, you can subscribe to Scientific American. It's only around $50/yr (IIRC) and it comes monthly. There are a lot of great articles in that rag. For online reading, you can subscribe to New Scientist that updates in your email monthly.
Science news and science jobs from New Scientist - New Scientist

Any way, RNAi is more up my alley and it was an incredible discovery. Again, tho, it may not come off exciting to those that don't have a background in the sciences. But, vids like the one I posted are very helpful.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I was talking about research outside of science and technology.
Than we're having two different conversations all together. How strange. Eh, that's the net for you, I guess. So, what are you thinking of specifically?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:10 PM

Outside of science and technology it seems to be at a standstill.

Quote:
Than we're having two different conversations all together. How strange. Eh, that's the net for you, I guess. So, what are you thinking of specifically?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Outside of science and technology it seems to be at a standstill.
Well, what kind of break throughs ever happened outside science and technology? I guess civil rights and feminism could be considered sociological break throughs. Are you thinking in terms of econcomics or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities