Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 PM

512 posts, read 1,585,231 times

Advertisements

Well, for starts, having a college education enables to speak and understand the language spoken by the rich and powerful here and abroad who are overwhelmingly college-educated. You can't underestimate the role played by shared value, shared experience, shared perspective which are subtle but powerful and often crucial elements in determining your future. People like to promote people they like and like them, and like it or not, the overwhelming majority of people who are in the position to make the decision regarding promotion are college-educated or above. If you don't speak the same language, share the same experience, look at thing through the same perspective with them which your college experience plays a key role, you're very likely to hit a insurmountable snag at the crucial juncture of your career. The difference is very subtle and not all that clear when you're at the beginning of your career, but it can and most likely will be the crucial factor in whether or not you will be given the chance to play the same game played the rich and powerful. It's worth it and unlike many people, I think it's even more important in your later career than merely granting a on-site interview at the start of your career as many people might believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,102,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Hi Peter,

I'm glad you are honest about your college experience. Too many paint a rosey picture of college being some amazing and wonderful place. It can be a necessary evil; however, each person should decide for themselves .... It's a personal choice.
I agree. People don't believe me when I tell them I personally know people with engineering degrees who are delivering pizzas because they can't find a job.

I also know a girl who has a masters and is still working at the hotel we worked at together. Now, this is someone who came from a privileged background and is still quite privileged, mind you (26 years old, her parents pay ALL of her bills, just bought her a brand new car, she only works 2 days a week). She wonders why she can't find a new job-she goes on and on "I have a Masters so I should get a job anywhere". Well, her Masters is in Communications-seriously, what do you do with that? When I asked her what you do with a Masters in Communications, she had no answer.

I'm working my butt off to get through school while working full-time and truthfully I'm afraid of graduation and what will happen afterwards. We'll see. I honestly think if things get better they will get worst first. We have more people in school than ever and the economy is tanking. Not only are jobs being outsourced but many foreign workers are being brought in. I have no answers.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:05 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,069,781 times
With a Master's in communication she should be able to do marketing and first line management level positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I agree. People don't believe me when I tell them I personally know people with engineering degrees who are delivering pizzas because they can't find a job.

I also know a girl who has a masters and is still working at the hotel we worked at together. Now, this is someone who came from a privileged background and is still quite privileged, mind you (26 years old, her parents pay ALL of her bills, just bought her a brand new car, she only works 2 days a week). She wonders why she can't find a new job-she goes on and on "I have a Masters so I should get a job anywhere". Well, her Masters is in Communications-seriously, what do you do with that? When I asked her what you do with a Masters in Communications, she had no answer.

I'm working my butt off to get through school while working full-time and truthfully I'm afraid of graduation and what will happen afterwards. We'll see. I honestly think if things get better they will get worst first. We have more people in school than ever and the economy is tanking. Not only are jobs being outsourced but many foreign workers are being brought in. I have no answers.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,746,916 times
Quote:
With a Master's in communication she should be able to do marketing and first line management level positions.
Sounds like the fact that she had no clue what to do with her degree says more about why she can't get a job than the field it's in.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM

You don't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Sounds like the fact that she had no clue what to do with her degree says more about why she can't get a job than the field it's in.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:39 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,746,916 times
Quote:
You don't know that.
You're right, I don't know that for certain. But I do know people who have degrees with no clue what to do with them afterwards, mainly because they did no research into what's open for them (or, in some cases, don't care). I would think that if you go far enough to get a graduate degree that at some point the topic of what you can do in the field would come up. It's not like she studied Medieval Theology, it's pretty easy to think of at least some possible career avenues for a Communications degree. It's also a 2-minute question you could ask any professor in the roughly 6 years you're in school.

Not to mention that since it looks like she doesn't really have to work, there's not necessarily a lot of motivation to go from a 2-day workweek to a 60-hour workweek.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
You will never regret earning your degree. Now is the time to do it.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:39 PM

That's strange. Research is rather easy to do. Talk to a career counselor. Get on the internet and look around. Or call different places of business and ask for advice. It's that easy. Master's degree level work is far more complicated or task orientated.

Quote:
You're right, I don't know that for certain. But I do know people who have degrees with no clue what to do with them afterwards, mainly because they did no research into what's open for them (or, in some cases, don't care). I would think that if you go far enough to get a graduate degree that at some point the topic of what you can do in the field would come up. It's not like she studied Medieval Theology, it's pretty easy to think of at least some possible career avenues for a Communications degree. It's also a 2-minute question you could ask any professor in the roughly 6 years you're in school.

Not to mention that since it looks like she doesn't really have to work, there's not necessarily a lot of motivation to go from a 2-day workweek to a 60-hour workweek.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Thanks. I'm glad I have university degrees. If I ever go back I'll do more online courses. Those are way better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gguyswn2 View Post
You will never regret earning your degree. Now is the time to do it.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:24 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,102,145 times
Quote:
When I asked her "What do you with a Masters in Communications?" she gave me a blank look and said "I dunno; something in Communications, I guess."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities