Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It isn't easy getting into an RN program and YES, there are science prerequisites that need to be met. Also, most programs in CA have extensive waiting lists and demand high grades, especially in the biology prerequisites.
you are not listening. not long waiting for LVN program less prerequisites. the long lists of balony are for RN do that later after LVN.
and yes biology chemistry and anatomy are required-- get a tutor. the requirement is not high grades its 3.0.
if a gal from the ghetto can do it you can.
cowboy up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:59 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you are not listening. not long waiting for LVN program less prerequisites. the long lists of balony are for RN do that later after LVN.
and yes biology chemistry and anatomy are required-- get a tutor. the requirement is not high grades its 3.0.
if a gal from the ghetto can do it you can.
cowboy up.
And what exactly are the job prospects for LVN's? From what I understand, there aren't as many opportunities for LVNs as there are for RN's. Also, not everyone is cut out to work as an LVN anyways.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:59 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,150 times
OP, do you have a friend of a friend of a friend in LA? I bet if you start talking to people you will find a contact person in LA. That person may not necessarily be in the business, but will more than likely know someone who IS in the business. I would try to do that along with your other research.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:51 PM

150 posts, read 467,858 times
Sadly, no. I don't really know anyone outside of this immediate area.

In response to other suggestions I'd like to say that I'm not looking for career guidance, only advice on how to get started with the process of getting into a college near Los Angeles so that I can start working my way into the industry.

A few people seem to think that I have lofty dreams of "making it" as a famous millionaire film maker. While this would be nice, it's not even what I have in mind. The film industry supplies thousands of jobs from the top down and I'd be content to be working in a background production role behind the scenes or working in editing and post. I know this is easily achievable if I can just get myself out there, it's the getting there that's tough. I got no money, yo. What little work I can manage to find goes straight to paying late bills to keep the lights on. Why would I choose to stay here and work at a factory for 5 years to save up enough to move to L.A. when I can bank on student loans and complete the first major step of my goal within a few months?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:59 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,866 times
You are in a situation where going to college right now will make things worse, not better. Moving to LA to work in film makes sense, but you need to be moving to get any sort of film you can to network. Honestly, I don't get work because of my degree- I get work because I am very good at what I do and it gets around. I haven't had to send out a resume in almost a year and a half because I have a reputation for doing good work so I get offered more shows than I can do. You need to work on a few films in LA and awe everyone with how hard you work and how well you do whatever menial job you land. I did one film in NY and I've had 4 more opportunities to work on feature films since then. I don't really like film so I've turned them down, but my name is out there. People will recommend you when stuff comes up and eventually you'll be able to land steady work. Taking classes at a CC aren't bad, but honestly, if you want to go the school route to get into the industry, you'll need an MFA, which means 6-7 years of school. Can you afford loans for 7 years of school? That's over $300,000 if you go to USC or UCLA as an out of stater.

Like theater, film is about knowing people. School networks are ok, but they work best for young people who have family to help them out. It's better to work on films and get to know people in the industry.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:21 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
Again, try next door in Mississippi. I saw another clip on the news the other day that said there would be about 200 jobs on The Help for support staff. It was basically a hiring call. How far are you from Greenwood?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:20 PM

150 posts, read 467,858 times
Greenwood is about 400 miles from where I live, I'm not sure i could scrape together the extra cash to make that trip once right now.

I'd love to be working on films, I just can't seem to make it happen. If I'm going to go to L.A. and work on shoots to wow people with my hard work and knowledge of the process, then I'll need to get there first. Right now I have a lease on an apartment that doesn't end until December.

A one way Greyhound from here to Los Angeles is over $250, and even if I made it out to L.A. I'm not sure how fit to work on a set I'd be after sleeping under a bench for a week. I guess what I'm getting at is that I just don't have the means to get out there. I've been going over things and trying to find a way, but I'm not having any luck.

Believe me, if I had a 400 sq ft apartment in L.A. and a menial job that could pay my rent and utilities and leave enough for Ramen noodles and gas, then I'd be spending every moment away from my day job trying to find work on sets. I've been trying over the last few years to save up enough to move out there, but it's sort of hard to save up extra money when you can't find a stable job within 50 miles of home and you're 2 months behind on your phone bill. I'm in negative money right now, and despite my diligently applying for every job I can find, I can't seem to find anything.

It's kind of a bummer. I feel like I'm stuck here, need money to move, want to find a job to save money but can't, and am making zero progress on any front.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:52 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
I would apply for admissions to your state college. Some will admit anyone from the state provisionally. Apply for the pell grant , loans, work study, the whole load. Try to get a Education degree in Theater Arts , Technical Theater,or Communications. And go for Film school as a Master program. Its about six years of work.You might owe $40,000 when its said and done. but look on the bright side, you could be upside down in a $40,000 house.
I was in college during the last recession and borrowed money to stay in when the economy tanked. When I couldn't find a job they told me if I took one class over the summer I could work full time for the college as a work study student.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
Greenwood is about 400 miles from where I live, I'm not sure i could scrape together the extra cash to make that trip once right now.

I'd love to be working on films, I just can't seem to make it happen. If I'm going to go to L.A. and work on shoots to wow people with my hard work and knowledge of the process, then I'll need to get there first. Right now I have a lease on an apartment that doesn't end until December.

A one way Greyhound from here to Los Angeles is over $250, and even if I made it out to L.A. I'm not sure how fit to work on a set I'd be after sleeping under a bench for a week. I guess what I'm getting at is that I just don't have the means to get out there. I've been going over things and trying to find a way, but I'm not having any luck.

Believe me, if I had a 400 sq ft apartment in L.A. and a menial job that could pay my rent and utilities and leave enough for Ramen noodles and gas, then I'd be spending every moment away from my day job trying to find work on sets. I've been trying over the last few years to save up enough to move out there, but it's sort of hard to save up extra money when you can't find a stable job within 50 miles of home and you're 2 months behind on your phone bill. I'm in negative money right now, and despite my diligently applying for every job I can find, I can't seem to find anything.

It's kind of a bummer. I feel like I'm stuck here, need money to move, want to find a job to save money but can't, and am making zero progress on any front.
While it is great that you have found a passion, and understand that it may take time to get to Hollywood, you need to understand a few other
things. I went to film school in the late 90s, and let me tell you, it can be expensive. Back then, one minute of 16 mm B&W film cost around $300 a minute (purchase price of film + cost of developing). You go through a lot of film and suffice to say, it would be easy to graduate $100,000+ in debt (in just film costs alone) from a four-year program. It is also not easy to break into Hollywood, and in fact, it is one of the hardest industries/careers to get into. Yes, it is nice that you are will to sleep under a park bench and do what you can to prove your worth/skill, but keep in mind that there are tens of thousands of other people in LA with the same idea who got there a long time before you did. It is hard, but not impossible, and without knowing someone in the business, your chances go down greatly.

The good news is that video is cheap, and you don't exactly need a college education to get started. The best thing that you can do right now is to acquire a camera of any sort (Super8, VHS, MiniDV, Digital, etc.) and just make your own short movies. You can post the better ones on YouTube, but it would be worth your while to set up your own website if you can swing it. The main thing you need here is exposure. YouTube is a good for that, but really only if the video goes viral. Believe me, there are tons of quality amateur productions on YouTube that go unnoticed (because they have not gone viral). What you need to do is submit your shorts (and features, if you get that far) to film/video contests. There are hundreds of them every year all year long in the US alone. Even if your stuff sucks, you never win, you are getting your name out there to the people who matter in the business (most judges in the contests have some connection to Hollywood, if even just a minor one), and that is what you want.

This is also a good way to build a portfolio, which is something else that you want. Submitting one three-minute video to a short film fest/contest will do more for your chances at breaking in than knocking on every door in Hollywood.

It is partially about skill, partially about clout, and mostly about who you know. Film school helps you develop skill, but honestly it is either something you have or you don't. What film school mostly does is give you connections to the industry.

It seems that most community colleges have some sort of New Media program. This may be worth your while, since video is usually a part of it. A two year program will teach you everything that you need to know, and more than likely provide some contacts in-state. Alabama more than likely has a Film Board, or at the very least some sort state-wide film community. Look into to it and get involved in anyway you can.

To add to all of this, 30 years old is kind-of late to be breaking in. Producers are getting younger and younger and like most fields, only really understand what is relevant to their generation.

So, if you are truly passionate about it, just do it on your own, and get involved with what is going on in your state. You should also read as many trade publications as you can (online is okay). It will really help if you keep abreast with what is going on in the industry.

Good luck.

By the way, NYU is the best film school/program in the US. UCLA is second, and I believe University of Tampa is third.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
And what exactly are the job prospects for LVN's? From what I understand, there aren't as many opportunities for LVNs as there are for RN's. Also, not ? everyone is cut out to work as an LVN anyways.
prospects???? very very good. LVN's are taking up the slack alot. not everybody was cut out to work at all. to work 40 hours a week at anything takes guts. most americans wana be a CEO oozing advanced degrees. most just need a trade. most americans get their reality from watching TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities