Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:42 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times

Advertisements

I would get certified to teach something and move to LA, NYC, Austin,TX as a teacher. As noted by a previous poster it is very expensive to be self employed in any field of the Arts. A teaching Job will allow you the luxury of relocating anywhere and an income to subsidize your self employment. As a technical theater or communications teacher you might even be able to get paid for a leave of absence to work on a film.

Another route is to try to put together a portfolio and apply for a fellowship through you state arts council. Alabama? That would be The Alabama Council on the Arts. They also have what might be called "emerging artist grant" These are usually not much , but if you can prove you are the most worthy applicant of the $500 or $5000.00 they are giving away, it could be a start.
Its simple you go to their website and down load an application and get it in before the deadline.
If you have equipment and skills you could get a residency in a school or community to make a film for them. See if you can get on their (Alabama Council on the Arts )"Artist Roster"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 04:52 PM

150 posts, read 467,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

The good news is that video is cheap, and you don't exactly need a college education to get started. The best thing that you can do right now is to acquire a camera of any sort (Super8, VHS, MiniDV, Digital, etc.) and just make your own short movies.
I've been doing video production off an on for years. I own a pro video camera. I've made several music videos in the last couple of years and had one playing on major cable networks for a while in 2008.

Quote:
This is also a good way to build a portfolio, which is something else that you want.
I've got a demo reel already and several shorts and music videos ready to show.

Quote:
What film school mostly does is give you connections to the industry.
Which is what I need. Connections. I've got the talent, equipment, and the know how. But I'm broke and I live in Alabama. It's hard to just "work on your stuff" when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and don't have any friends to put in front of the camera.

I'm not asking for advice on the film industry. I've got that covered. I'm not asking for advice on video and film production. I'm asking for information about what steps to take to start working my way into a college film or arts program.

I do not want to teach. I've spent the last 10 years doing jobs I didn't want to do and usually totally hated just to get by.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:26 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
prospects???? very very good. LVN's are taking up the slack alot. not everybody was cut out to work at all. to work 40 hours a week at anything takes guts. most americans wana be a CEO oozing advanced degrees. most just need a trade. most americans get their reality from watching TV.
Got any stats or a link to support the bolded statement? Hospitals prefer RN's so the prospects of LVN's getting hired is considerably less than RNs. As a so-called high demand field, I hear stories of nurses being laid off. This is a field that requires a lot of dedication and should only be pursued by those who have a passion for nursing as not everyone is cut out for this demanding field. Again, not everyone is cut out to do nursing as it is an extremely rigorous program (my sister went through the LVN and it took a huge toll on her) and not everyone can get accepted. LVN isn't cut and dried as you make it out to be.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:59 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
don't have any friends to put in front of the camera.

I'm not asking for advice on the film industry. I've got that covered. I'm not asking for advice on video and film production. I'm asking for information about what steps to take to start working my way into a college film or arts program.

I do not want to teach. I've spent the last 10 years doing jobs I didn't want to do and usually totally hated just to get by.
Then look at Alabama State/University of Alabama for undergrad- I know University of Alabama has an good reputation for theater and you could probably get a decent arts degree. Unless your family is wealthy and you are the next Kurosawa, you probably won't get into a top film program in CA. You will almost definitely have to retake your standardized tests as I believe the scores expire after 5 years. Get top (and I mean top) grades in Alabama while building your reel even more and then apply to an MFA program in LA. You are not a competitive applicant for USC (the school I assume you are looking at). They are saving their precious undergrad slots for students whose parents can buy a building or are true geniuses, not for older students. Their MFA program is billed towards older students.

The reason I say to go school in Alabama is that it will be much cheaper for you than going to school in LA. You are not in a position to take on hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for undergrad. You will have to keep taking jobs you hate to pay down your student loan debt if you try moving straight to LA. You need to do your BA as quickly and cheaply as possible then save up your debt for grad school, then move to LA. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
do you read the papers lately dont even think of getting a worthless expensive degree from a 4 year school. . get a trade, jr college low cost no debt VE. my favorite pick RN, shortest route, LVN 42 units then crossover program to RN 30 units. dodge a mountain of useless prerequisites. most americans want the prestige of college. most need a trade and dont need more debt.
Quote:
you are not listening. not long waiting for LVN program less prerequisites. the long lists of balony are for RN do that later after LVN.
and yes biology chemistry and anatomy are required-- get a tutor. the requirement is not high grades its 3.0.
if a gal from the ghetto can do it you can.
cowboy up.
Quote:
prospects???? very very good. LVN's are taking up the slack alot. not everybody was cut out to work at all. to work 40 hours a week at anything takes guts. most americans wana be a CEO oozing advanced degrees. most just need a trade. most americans get their reality from watching TV.
I know the OP wants to major in film, but I'd like to say that as an RN I agree with Chatteress. In particular, this idea that you can just transfer LVN (in some states called LPN) credits into an RN program. I've had this discussion on CD before. Some of your credits won't be accepted. An AAS in Nursing in Colorado requires 80 credits, not 72.

Requirements for Nursing Program Admission: (http://web1.frontrange.edu/catalog/2009-2010/4599.htm - broken link)

Also, see this:

Nursing Admission Information

Licensed Practical Nurses wanting to complete their training as a Registered Nurse must have completed all waitlist prerequisite courses listed above.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 AM

150 posts, read 467,858 times
I am not interested in a career in nursing. I am going to work in the entertainment and media production industry, I don't know how to be any more clear than that. Why does everyone keep going on and on about nursing?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
I am not interested in a career in nursing. I am going to work in the entertainment and media production industry, I don't know how to be any more clear than that. Why does everyone keep going on and on about nursing?
Sorry, we got carried away. My apologies.

That said, I don't want somene else reading this thread to think that going into nursing is such a piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities