Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 PM

87 posts, read 147,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColoradoDayz View Post
DNB21, I'll save the restaurant guide for you, that's not my thing. It's like this, I'm about the truth. I don't care if you express your opinion, but when you come facts, you best come correct. Two lies that she spouted off about were the crime and her downtown experience. She said that there was high crime in pockets of this town. Simply a lie! Then she went on to make a statement that she could not even take her kid to downtown restaurants because of neenie, neenie, yada, yada, and the restaurants are so smoky. Well, that's a plain lie because we have a smoking ordinance, you can't smoke in public indoor establishments. So if you can't get two basic stories straight (particularly the smoking) and your propgating them to everyone as if this is your experience. Then how credible can one be or anything else they say?
Really thats not a lie about the crime, I'm from Denver but Im in the Sprngs alot, and there are pockets with bad crime, belive me. jus cuz you dont here about everythig on the news, doesnt mean its not happenin, they dnt catch everything, far from it. Ive seen alot of things go on, on the SE, my cusin I visit down here lives in the Whitney Young apts, and ive seen everything from fights (kids and adults) domestic stuff, drugs, gun shots you name it. they have bad parts on the west too, along S. nevada, mostly drugs and prostitution, yea CS doest have a bunch of ghettos, but its jus a matter of time due to how much its growing, cause certine spots deffinetly have more crime then other ereas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Ok, CoolColoradoDayz, then what is your thing? Accusing people of lying and propagating your sarcastic, negative, and defensive attitude on a forum that is supposed to be about allowing others to express their opinions without fear of being vehemently attacked? Oh, and by the way, maybe you should get YOUR facts straight. I never said anything about crime pockets or crime levels in CS. And yes, maybe my assessment was a bit harsh. However, both my husband and I have worked very hard for what we have, so what's wrong with expecting a little more from the city you have to live in!
Call it snobby or whatever you want, but reality is reality and I think there are definitely quite a few parts of the Springs that could use some major renovation. And yes, I agree there are cities which are much worse in terms of crime and being run down, however, there are cities which are much nicer as well. I was just expressing my opinion which may not be totally accurate as I have only lived here a year. There may be a lot I have not yet seen or experienced here yet. Again, this IS a thread that is supposed to shed light on the negatives of CS. If you are going to be offended every time someone points out something wrong with the city, or something they do not like, than maybe you should just stick to the threads that point out only the positives.
Hold your horses.

Yes, it is unlawful to smoke in restaurants. However there are places, (Oscars on Tejon for example) where people can smoke on patios.The inside is still a restaurant. People can't smoke inside there. Could this be the confusion?

Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Default wouldnt know a liberal if you mowed them down with your hummer

seriously, COFLOWER and Coolcoloradodayz must have some SERIOUSLY different concept of what a liberal/progressive is. Apparently they have lived here so long they think liberals are happy and free peeps in the springs LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as for the vegetarianism that noone can spell, its about the health issues. Who wants their kids going to school where pork is just aok?? Beef burgers are just great??? The red meat market kills off adults but its ok for the kiddoes?? And yes my son has asked around, he is the only veggie. Frankly (DUH!!!) it would be nice if my son could eat lunch from the program at school once in a while, but its all pork and beef. How disgusting. How sad that you are defending and support it! You wouldnt know liberal or free, so whatever.

There is a reason so many progressive/liberals hate the springs. If I were an ass I would pretend it didnt exist (my house is on the market!) but from a moral standpoint I cant stomach other liberals having to put up with this.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:01 AM

149 posts, read 323,094 times
Default Happy Liberal??

I would have to agree with MorningGlory, I have yet to meet a happy liberal in the Springs.

Last edited by mdz; 08-12-2007 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 AM

135 posts, read 599,982 times
Default morningglory....

[quote=MorningGlory;1261269]seriously, COFLOWER and Coolcoloradodayz must have some SERIOUSLY different concept of what a liberal/progressive is. Apparently they have lived here so long they think liberals are happy and free peeps in the springs LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as for the vegetarianism that noone can spell, its about the health issues. Who wants their kids going to school where pork is just aok?? Beef burgers are just great??? The red meat market kills off adults but its ok for the kiddoes?? And yes my son has asked around, he is the only veggie. Frankly (DUH!!!) it would be nice if my son could eat lunch from the program at school once in a while, but its all pork and beef.[quote=MorningGlory;1261269]

hand raised...."I can spell v-e-g-e-t-a-r-i-a-n!" Why don't you just pack your son's lunch everyday? Or, don't they ever serve chicken?

I truly hope u find somewhere to live that brings u happiness. Any ideas where u'll go?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:17 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newintha719 View Post
I think people are really exaggerating the concervitive presence here, i been livin here for almost 4 months and I dnt feel its that bad and I'm from MLPS, I do live on the SE side of town and I kno its supose to be the "hood" so maybe its worse up north, I do see the difference with seas of new houses and middle to upper class families but deffinately dont get the feelin morninglory has
I agree. The town has an image problem brought on by Dr. Dobson and the 100+ employees he brought with him to FOTF. Remember, Dobson isn't a Coloradan. He's actually a Californian who relocated to the Springs. I'd venture that few if any of his employees on Briargate Pkwy are natives, either. They simply located in Colorado for who knows what reason. Dobson is not so powerful that he and his 100 co-workers can possibly change a town of 350,000 people.

I guess I'm not really a liberal, but personally I'm comfortable either in CS or Boulder. I don't demand that every one of my neighbors agree with me. I don't mind having military people as neighbors. And I certainly don't care if my neighbors go to church/synagogue/mosque/temple. The fact is, most of America goes to some church or other, and so it's hardly a surprise that CS is no exception.

Sure, if you're really the activist type, maybe living in a Republican town would bother you. I'm just not all that political and I'm not bothered by it. And frankly I don't understand why anyone else does.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
I tried to ask nicely...

Keep the posts on the topic "negatives of Co Springs". I'm deleting anything that gets into the liberal/conservative debate or the Christian/nonchristian debate that doesn't add anything as to why someone should live here. There's other forums on this site for that debate. Yes, you are all welcome to your opinion, but this is an important thread for newcomers and during the last few days it's turned into attack after attack.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:53 PM

13 posts, read 68,352 times
Default either you love it or hate it!

The old town in Springs has some great old homes with real soul and personality within walking distance to the downtown, which is at present devoid of culture, interesting cuisine, and city life. The view of the mountains is indeed grand with Pikes Peak towering over the city, but that thriving hardcore CO outdoor culture is weaker in Springs than the rest of the front range. While Boulder takes pride in being "left" to a new extreme, Springs pulls the other direction and flirts with rightwing extremism and they are not quiet about it either. Neither Boulder nor Springs are my gig as I tend to shy away from polarizing places, groups, and trends. I think you either love Springs or hate it due to its strong feelings. I say "CO Springs is a great place to buy a bible or join a conservative religious cult otherwise I think CO has better." Try Longmont, Denver, Grand Junction, Durango, Gunnison or Ouray unless you dig a conservative Bible Belt atmosphere.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 AM

553 posts, read 1,636,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonballRun View Post
The old town in Springs has some great old homes with real soul and personality within walking distance to the downtown, which is at present devoid of culture, interesting cuisine, and city life.
There are several clubs downtown. Interesting cuisine is available downtown at Nosh, Phantom Canton, Jack Quinn's, MacKenzie's. Just what is it you're looking for that you can't find?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
I still maintain that the Springs reputation as a habitat for religious fanatics is still a matter of bad PR.

Take for example, Douglas County. Like the Springs it also is overwhelmingly Republican. It has no diversity whatsoever (indeed, far less than the springs). Like the Springs, It also has number of very large and visible megachurches. Like the Springs, It also has a recent scandal of a hypocritical megachurch minister with a gay tryst (the church's name is Grace Chapel). It also has repeatedly voted a hard-right Congressman into office (Tancredo -- makes Joel Hefley look like a liberal in comparison). The ratio of Republicans to Democrats in Douglas County, if anything, is more lopsided than El Paso County.

Now, why is it that the Springs is "full of right wing fanatics", and "a fundamentalist citadel," yet Douglas County has none of the negative PR?

Perhaps, too be fair, it's because Douglas County is suburban. Suburbs are supposed to be bland, Republican, and religious. Cities aren't.

Still, the comparison between Douglas County and El Paso County is stark. Look at it objectively, and I'd think you'd have to say that Douglas County in comparison is even more conservative that the Springs (or at least equally so), but gets none of the bad press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs