Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 PM

15 posts, read 148,509 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been thinking of relocating to Colorado for many years and although we like Denver we are intrested in Colorado Springs. The tourist pictures look great, it seems like a great place and of course the Realtor's will always say great things! I am a great believer in a collective opinion of things, so I want to throw the question out there what are the negatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,911 times
Negatives (as well as positives) are subjective. Are there specific things that you really don't want in a new city?

I mean, I tend to think more about the positives of the three places in CO that I have lived rather than any negatives. I think it's what you make of it.

I think the biggest negative that C Springs has is the crappy public transportation. Outside of that, nothing sticks out at me as a reason to leave. I am planning at some point to move to Cañon City or back to Grand Junction because I desire a change.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
How'd the pay in CS? They look significantly lower than SoCal or even Denver. What's the quality of jobs there if you're not an aerospace engineer?

Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,968 times
Quote:
so I want to throw the question out there what are the negatives?
-The winter weather is.....well winter weather. We moved from San Diego where winter weather was a lot like summer weather. I actually don't mind the cold and snow, as long as the wind isn't thrown in. The snow can be amazing here- actually sparkles when the sun comes out.
-Ice makes driving hazardous, especially on a motorcycle. Don't ask how I know, just take my word for it.
-Can't keep car clean for long, even in the summer due to afternoon t-storms. And watch out for hail. A lot of CO cars have the same complextion as golf balls.
-Need more GOOD mexican resturants
-Developments that remind me of CA/AZ or Monopoly houses. Row upon row upon row. I don't know how people find their house. They all look the same. Don't let a realtor try to show you a house in one of these until you drive around and see the older established 'hoods. Try to see areas with larger, hilly lots with trees.
-Bears. Just the thought that they might be in my yard makes me a bit nervous when out walking my dog at night. Figure my flashlight will scare 'em away
-No In & Out Hamburger joint(SoCal thing)
Disclaimer> I still love it here. There is no place that is without negatives, and one man's negatives might be another's positive.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:09 PM

Thankyou for your comments . I guess what I am looking for are the problems that everyday locals tend to face ( apart from the obvious )
We don't have to fight with the "positives" of a place therefore we are left with the "negatives" with which to help us make decisions .ie " which problems do we wish to deal with ? "

Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
-The winter weather is.....well winter weather. We moved from San Diego where winter weather was a lot like summer weather. I actually don't mind the cold and snow, as long as the wind isn't thrown in. The snow can be amazing here- actually sparkles when the sun comes out.
-Ice makes driving hazardous, especially on a motorcycle. Don't ask how I know, just take my word for it.
-Can't keep car clean for long, even in the summer due to afternoon t-storms. And watch out for hail. A lot of CO cars have the same complextion as golf balls.
-Need more GOOD mexican resturants
-Developments that remind me of CA/AZ or Monopoly houses. Row upon row upon row. I don't know how people find their house. They all look the same. Don't let a realtor try to show you a house in one of these until you drive around and see the older established 'hoods. Try to see areas with larger, hilly lots with trees.
-Bears. Just the thought that they might be in my yard makes me a bit nervous when out walking my dog at night. Figure my flashlight will scare 'em away
-No In & Out Hamburger joint(SoCal thing)
Disclaimer> I still love it here. There is no place that is without negatives, and one man's negatives might be another's positive.
I like your weather report ...thankyou , Only a pilot who's wondering if he can fly in Visual Flight Rules would think of the weather first !! Ha Ha .
Do you fly ?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:56 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,968 times
Quote:
Do you fly ?
Yes, but not for a living. But I fly because of my occupation, technical support. Today I am flying to confirm the operation of a fuel injection system. Brutal, but someone's gotta do it.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
Economy is sluggish, and pay is relatively low compared to Denver, though possibly not bad depending on where you're coming from. The jury is still out as to whether this is a temporary setback or if Colorado Springs is headed for decades of economic malaise. If you have a security clearance with experience in the defense/federal sector I think you can do fairly well, but the commercial high-tech sector down there has taken a beating of late.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:50 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
I will start out with a positive: Colorado Springs does have one of the prettiest settings of any major Colorado city and its variable (and sometimes violent) weather I actually like very much. Unfortunately, the major negative in Colorado Springs is that it has grown way too fast in the sprawling modern manner that is destroying its beauty and character. Traffic is awful for a city of its size. Crime is bad in some areas. The city has dried up thousands upon thousands of acres of farmlands, ranchlands, and wetlands all over central Colorado to supply its needs for water (mostly to irrigate suburban, non-native lawns). The Springs is (and has been for years) over-reliant on the military for its economic base, and it appears that reliance is probably going to grow, rather than shrink. That's kind of hilarious, when one sees the Springs' arch-conservative politicians decry big government at the same time their community gets most of its economic succor from the public trough. In short, a great LOCALE, but an absolutely mediocre community, at best.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:39 PM

12 posts, read 67,740 times
high curbs, uneven cracked sidewalks, lack of significant cultural events and nightlife
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs