Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 10,045 times

Advertisements

Riding my bicycle on streets and on some sidewalks is suicide, but necessary because of a physical disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 PM

15 posts, read 148,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I will start out with a positive: Colorado Springs does have one of the prettiest settings of any major Colorado city and its variable (and sometimes violent) weather I actually like very much. Unfortunately, the major negative in Colorado Springs is that it has grown way too fast in the sprawling modern manner that is destroying its beauty and character. Traffic is awful for a city of its size. Crime is bad in some areas. The city has dried up thousands upon thousands of acres of farmlands, ranchlands, and wetlands all over central Colorado to supply its needs for water (mostly to irrigate suburban, non-native lawns). The Springs is (and has been for years) over-reliant on the military for its economic base, and it appears that reliance is probably going to grow, rather than shrink. That's kind of hilarious, when one sees the Springs' arch-conservative politicians decry big government at the same time their community gets most of its economic succor from the public trough. In short, a great LOCALE, but an absolutely mediocre community, at best.
Thankyou for your comments , these are the types of things I need to hear from locals to be able to look at " both sides of the coin "

Thankyou .

Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 PM

15 posts, read 148,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Yes, but not for a living. But I fly because of my occupation, technical support. Today I am flying to confirm the operation of a fuel injection system. Brutal, but someone's gotta do it.
I am an ATP and I fly an airbus 320 for Fedex ( night flights ) , what are you flying and who do you work for ? Fuel injection has been out for many years even in diesels ( direct injection ) is it a refinement ?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,923,539 times
simonjtt-
check PM.
Paul

Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,918,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Unfortunately, the major negative in Colorado Springs is that it has grown way too fast in the sprawling modern manner that is destroying its beauty and character. Traffic is awful for a city of its size. Crime is bad in some areas. The city has dried up thousands upon thousands of acres of farmlands, ranchlands, and wetlands all over central Colorado to supply its needs for water (mostly to irrigate suburban, non-native lawns).
Hahahaha, you just described virtually any city in the Rocky Mountain region.

Denver Metro? Check.
Ft. Collins? Not yet bet getting there.
Greeley (Weld County). Check.
Phoenix? Check.
Albuquerque? Check.
Las Vegas? Check.

Of course Vegas and Phoenix don't have wetlands but they are helping dry up the Colorado River.

They aren't alone in sucking water from the Western Slope. All the major communities from Ft. Collins to Pueblo are bleeding the water coffers dry.

Most all the Front Range cities have horrible traffic (well by Colorado standards), crime is cyclical and is being hit up in Denver Metro up there too.

Weld County is eating up farm land like Pacman and the dots. The roads up there are deadly and just south of there more and more farmland is being eaten up.

Sadly, in places like the lower Arkansas Valley (Rocky Ford, Lamar, La Junta and such) they are losing farmland and ranchland but mostly because of the drought we've been in. Their economies are failing because of this along with the desire to live in the cities so they are losing their youth for bigger dreams.

The Front Range of Colorado seems to have a growing problem but I also don't think that's unique to most any western city (except for Salt Lake maybe but even St. George, UT has it's problems)...

It's an interesting look at geography and my previous viewings of the geography programs (college) I see on PBS about how people are moving around...but that's for the classroom.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:02 AM

59 posts, read 329,700 times
I find that prices of items like food are just as expensive. 2 pounds of cherries the other days would have cost me 8 dollars....

The summer is warm...If you like heat then ok. Yesterday was 85 but today will cool to the 70's....

Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 AM

964 posts, read 2,648,593 times
Default Why NOT the Springs

O.K. here is my two cents for whatever it is worth. Our family moved to Monument in June of 2006 from California because it was just just getting too darn expensive, materialistic and crowded. Also, there are many more job opportunities for my husband here. It was a definitely a joint decision to move, and for the most part I am really happy we decided to relocate to Colorado. I think it is a great place to raise children, and overall a nice place to live. HOWEVER, I had hoped to move somewhere further North such as Castle Rock, Parker or Lone Tree to be closer to amenities such as Parks, restaurants, rec. centers etc. My husbands job, though, is in the SE Springs so we decided on Monument in order to be closer to both Denver and the Springs in case he ever needed to find employment elsewhere. Monument is great for those who appreciate the more rural lifestyle. Lots of trees, land, ranches and space. Good schools and very little traffic. The winters here are more harsh than either the Springs or up North because of the elevation. Because there is so little in terms of infrastructure in Monument I find that I have to drive into the Springs quite often for shopping, restaurants, parks, soccer practices, birthday parties, and swimming in the summertime. Having read many of the other posts, especially Mike from Back East, you would think Colorado Springs is the most Beautiful place on earth! He mentions how wonderful it is to sit at the Starbucks at the Shops of Briargate and look at the views of Pikes Peak. I must agree, a beautiful site. And yes, the mountains to the West are wonderful to look at. But I am a mom of three small children with one on the way. How often do I have time to sit and stare at mountains. I mean, mountains and trees can only go so far in contributing to the beauty and lure of a city. As far as CS goes, there are a few very nice areas. The Northeast, such as Flying Horse, Black Forest, and The Briargate area which spans from Union and Powers to apprpox. Powers and Research is quite lovely. Very clean and new, good schools, close to hospitals, lots of parks and shopping. Anywhere from here south on Powers is quite nice as well. Lots of new construction, nice neighborhoods, close to doctors etc. Finally, there's the Broadmoor area with plenty of expensive homes and great views and a stellar school district, but sort of a "pocket" neighborhood. There are also some very nice homes NW in the Peregrine area nestled in to the mountains. Again, good schools and wonderful views. However, the problem seems to be everything in the middle from east of the highway 25 to west of Union. Take a nice drive down Academy Blvd. I actually get depressed whenever I find myself having to make this drive for some reason or another. Literally, except for the far Northern and Eastern parts of the city, I found myself thinking, this city is one or the most run down, dilapidated and dingy I have ever seen. It looks like there has been no updating in years, like you might see in other older cities. I mean, it was just really ugly. Or treat yourself to a drive down Nevada Ave. with its abandoned retailers and hotels. Not to mention, very few good restaurants, an abundance of cruddy looking strip malls which are half empty and a really dingy movie theater in the Chapel Hills Mall. I don't mean to sound snobby or anything, but really, is there something I am missing? What's the deal folks? I do not understand all of the hype. I mean, I guess if you are retired like Mike from Back East and can afford to sit in your home or at the local Starbucks staring at Pikes Peak, it is a great place to live! But I have to admit, I was quite disappointed when I made my travels throughout the rest of the city. I even took my kids down to Downtown CS to check it out and found that I couldn't even take them in to many of the restaurants because of the smoking, drinking loud undesirables that were there. Well, these are just my thoughts after my first year here. I am looking forward to the development that is supposed to take place between Monument and Briargate Parkway so I can avoid Academy Blvd. altogether. For those looking to move to the Springs, come and visit and take a drive around town first. Had I done so, I think I would have waited for my husband to find a job in the Denver area so we could have lived up that way. Contrary to what many believe, I have found many areas there where you can still have a home with a large lot and nice views. And the homes are really not that much more expensive than in the Springs. There are many more and nicer parks and amenites for the kids, and things are much closer and convenient driving wise, although I realize that may not be a factor for many people. I really hope I have not offended anyone, I absolutely did not mean to, I just wanted to present the flip side of the coin regarding CS since that's what this thread is meant to do.
I would appreciate other views on this matter. Thanks!!

Last edited by proudmommy; 08-06-2007 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM

648 posts, read 2,941,348 times
Hey there-

You didn't offend anybody!! I totally understand. I am a Colorado Springs Native and sometimes wonder if it is Colorado Springs I am tired of or ALL of my family living here. (oooppsss did I say that?) I have begged my husband to move us from here, but he was a military brat growing up and has no desire to move anywhere else. So, we just try to make the best of being here. I also wonder if my itch to move is to just try something different. My husband says I would miss it and we would end up moving back here in a couple years. My thoughts are.... "I will even let us say, 'I told you so'". But no such luck. So, I make the best of it and hope that when I retire I can do alot of traveling to make up for it. I think like any place you live, your tolerance for certain things are different than other's. So, what bothers you may not bother other people. Gotta love having the FREEDOM to live wherever you want!
By the way, congrats on Number 4, I have 4 and love it!

Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM

641 posts, read 2,277,380 times
No city is perfect. There are dingy, rundown, less attractive areas in EVERY city you'll ever visit. It's all what you are willing to accept and what you're not willing to accept. It's also where you've come from previously. It's perspective.

Coming from the DC area, I would never go back there. Yes, there are beautiful monuments, museums, landmarks and tons of things to do. It's more cosmopolitan and international, but the traffic gets people killed, the price of housing is unbelievable, and people are generally colder and less caring about each other. It's the classic rat race; the high stress, always on the go kind of life.

There are areas in DC that you definitely don't want to be in after dark.

As crappy as Academy Blvd can be, it's absolutely nothing compared to many cities through out the country. I can afford a 4 bdrm house here (mortgage) for the same cost as my 2bdrm apartment (rent) in DC. My daily commute is 15 mins, versus 1.5 - 3hrs in DC.

There are run-down areas here in the springs that make me shake my head, and there are businesses downtown that don't necessarily cater to kids.......kids aren't the center of everyone's world.......BTW, there's a state of art theater off Powers Blvd....but like I said, it's all perspective.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:50 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
TeryTee, agree. I find the north end of Academy to be fine, lots of good places to eat and shop. The rest of Academy down to Austin Bluffs is commercial, but full of decent things, like our health club, car dealer, car wash, more eateries. Some upgrades soon will be done just south of Woodmen as prep for building an interchange at Woodmen.

The real eyesore is N. Nevada, starting a half mile north of Penrose hospital. North of Fillmore, Nevada gets raggy, but the most ragged stuff is boarded up and to be razed for a major corridor renovation. Still, near Fillmore there is a cool funky place there for hot dogs, a landmark Italian eatery that's been there 50 years, etc. Trash and treasure within a few blocks. Nevada is the tired main drag through town before I-25 was built and shows its age.

We escaped the DC area too, ain't going back, so much nicer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs