Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,717,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Don't count on my vote. Anyone that wants to bring "their" religion into politics is going to have an uphill battle in a "live and let live" state.
Especially in a state that has a large percentage (25%, last I saw) of 'religiously unaffiliated'. If you're (general you) are trying to base "No same sex marriage" off of religious values in this state, you've got a large block of "Are you kidding me?" against you right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:25 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's a religious issue with me.
My local golf club bans the wearing of any kind of trousers except for light brown checkered "golf" pants.

At no point do the people in management or members of this club come out into the rest of society and start demanding everyone else wear these pants. None of them attempt to ban any other kind of pants from the real world.

Perhaps this is a philosophy you could adopt. If homosexuality is against your religion then ensure it is not practiced in your club house (or church as some of you call your clubhouses). If performing marriage ceremonies for homosexuals is against your religion then simply ensure your club (or religion as you insist on calling it) does not do so.

And I will be on the front lines protecting your right to NOT do these things in your club or club houses.

But respect goes both ways and much like the Golf Club keep their fashion sensibilities (sic) to themselves in the confines of their club and club houses.... you would do well to do the same. No one expects society to follow the gold clubs rules of membership. You should not expect society to follow your clubs either.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
My local golf club bans the wearing of any kind of trousers except for light brown checkered "golf" pants.

At no point do the people in management or members of this club come out into the rest of society and start demanding everyone else wear these pants. None of them attempt to ban any other kind of pants from the real world.

Perhaps this is a philosophy you could adopt. If homosexuality is against your religion then ensure it is not practiced in your club house (or church as some of you call your clubhouses). If performing marriage ceremonies for homosexuals is against your religion then simply ensure your club (or religion as you insist on calling it) does not do so.

And I will be on the front lines protecting your right to NOT do these things in your club or club houses.

But respect goes both ways and much like the Golf Club keep their fashion sensibilities (sic) to themselves in the confines of their club and club houses.... you would do well to do the same. No one expects society to follow the gold clubs rules of membership. You should not expect society to follow your clubs either.
Exactly! Churches are free to preach whatever they want and marry whom they please. If a Baptist couple goes to a Catholic church and asks to be married, they'll be turned away. And that's the right of the Catholic church. The reverse would also be true (Catholics going to a Baptist church). No gay couple is going to try and force a church to marry them that doesn't want to. There are churches out there that would be happy to marry gay couples, and that's where they'll go if they want a church wedding.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Wife and daughter are voting age and have the same position on marriage. The people of Colorado already expressed their voted opinion on the issue, but the expressed will of the people has been unconstitutionaly nullified. I didn't move here just to annoy you. I also intend to help clean out the Bloombergian gun grabbers from the government. I am considering running for city council too. Can I count on your vote?
Uh... no!

It doesn't matter what "the people" voted for if it's unconstitutional. And even so, opinions have changed since then and a majority of Coloradans now approve of same sex marriage.

Gun grabbers, lol! Sure you wouldn't be happier up in that other square state? Dick Cheney would love to go hunting with you. Just wear your Kevlar face mask

Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
It will dictate how I vote which may or may not impact how they live their lives.
You can certainly vote how you want, but Colorado is not some conservative paradise. It's only getting "bluer", and I would imagine that legal weed isn't exactly attracting Bible thumpers to Colorado.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I won't be talking religion in my campaign. You won't know it's me. I'm pretty much "live and let live", but I firmly believe in traditional American values.
Live and let live, until it comes to gay people. Then you want to force your will on them

This is a battle you're going to lose, so good luck.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
It will dictate how I vote which may or may not impact how they live their lives.

Why not worry about your own life, your own morality and relationship with God? What others do, and how they live their lives so long as they cause no harm to others is between them and God.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:24 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

+1 [/thread]

Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Quote:
I won't be talking religion in my campaign. You won't know it's me. I'm pretty much "live and let live", but I firmly believe in traditional American values.
So you are all for slavery, racism, and misogyny?

I'm sure you didn't really mean to go back to when those were the standard, accepted practices - you know, the traditional values of our founders.

Perhaps we should jump ahead a hundred years to a time when the Chinese were useful, at least so long as they were cheap labor for things like building the railroads; the Italians were tolerable (at least they weren't Irish!); and blacks were technically OK, but only in certain parts of the county.

Oh, no, wait - you probably mean traditional 20th century American values. You know, when we were pretty much down to just racism and misogyny. Of course, since there was a hole left by the absence of slavery, we were able to branch out in our bigotry and really start going after homosexuals, especially since they apparently started to get bold enough to act as if they should be treated like actual people and be able to do the things that EVERYONE ELSE in the country could do.

Yeah, ok... THOSE values. Good platform.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
You've actually revealed a great amount of political naivete here.

Maybe you won't be talking religion in your campaign, but a candidate's religious persuasion has a funny way of being known to the public, and people will wonder how that affects your thinking. With some denominations, it may be obvious. Unless you're part of a very large denomination where the adherents are notoriously split on social issues (example: A recent poll I saw suggested that Catholics are split three ways on same-sex marriage--1/3 are for, 1/3 are against, and 1/3 don't care/aren't sure), then people are bound to make some good guesses as to what you believe.

You're talking about city council. Well, maybe people don't know as much about their city councilmen's religious persuasions, but the city council doesn't determine the marriage question. You'll have to get at a state level for that. You get to the state level, and your personal beliefs *will* come under much more scrutiny. People *will* figure out exactly where you stand on the issue.

You're only kidding yourself if you think nobody will put two and two together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado