Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 04:13 PM

147 posts, read 232,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Wasn't there a thread last year about BJ's going through the permitting process to open a store in Columbus? I know it ultimately fell through, but they do at least seem interested in coming to Columbus *eventually*.

I mean, if Coweta County (with a lower population density) can support a BJ's *AND* a Costco, I can't imagine why Columbus isn't able to support at least one of these stores.

Retail and restaurants as a whole are just in an awkward place right now between the Amazon revolution and COVID-19. Unless you're in a high growth *AND* high income area, they're being unusually risk-averse.

It's not really an indictment of Columbus either. This is the reality in most trade markets.

EDIT: Found the link for BJ's construction bid in Columbus.

Online Plan Room | LDI Line
If my memory serves me well, the primary reason that was cited by the Costco executive regarding why they're not willing to consider putting a location here was the low median per capita income in Columbus. I know for a fact that one of the developers whose name is attached to Midland Commons tried to sell Cheesecake Factory and PF Chang's on putting a location here of each respective chain, and they were turned down flat-out for the same reason.

Aside from the other issues people have mentioned (online retail consuming more marketshare, coronavirus hiatuses), the number one detractor that has always prevented Columbus from getting the higher-end retailers, restaurants, and employers that people have expressed desire in having locate here is the low median income and predominantly blue-collar job market. I just finished graduate school last month, and that's one of the reasons I'm going to have more or less no choice but to move within the next couple of months to start my career (and especially if I want to take advantage of opportunities for upward mobility and a progressively higher salary).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 04:27 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog23 View Post
If my memory serves me well, the primary reason that was cited by the Costco executive regarding why they're not willing to consider putting a location here was the low median per capita income in Columbus. I know for a fact that one of the developers whose name is attached to Midland Commons tried to sell Cheesecake Factory and PF Chang's on putting a location here of each respective chain, and they were turned down flat-out for the same reason.

Aside from the other issues people have mentioned (online retail consuming more marketshare, coronavirus hiatuses), the number one detractor that has always prevented Columbus from getting the higher-end retailers, restaurants, and employers that people have expressed desire in having locate here is the low median income and predominantly blue-collar job market. I just finished graduate school last month, and that's one of the reasons I'm going to have more or less no choice but to move within the next couple of months to start my career (and especially if I want to take advantage of opportunities for upward mobility and a progressively higher salary).
Based on what I've observed, you either need a high median income or a high population density to attract certain commercial establishments.

I would say Newnan and Peachtree City are both fairly blue collar, yet they're managing to attract somewhat more upscale establishments because the blue collar workers there (Delta pilots and Tech Ops mechanics) are paid quite well.

So it has nothing to do with whether an area is blue collar or white collar.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:28 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:

A good summary. Thanks. Congratulations on getting your masters degree! And good luck in the future, wherever your job takes you.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:03 PM

427 posts, read 550,018 times
Quote:
Yep! That is basically what Dan (their real estate broker) told me. Columbus is too poor. I learned that this is a HUGE numbers game and Columbus does NOT have the right numbers on its side

Old 07-17-2020, 10:03 AM

463 posts, read 519,287 times
Looks like construction is about to get started. Pound construction has placed their signs out front so they are going to be the contractor.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:07 PM

42 posts, read 75,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun112 View Post
Looks like construction is about to get started. Pound construction has placed their signs out front so they are going to be the contractor.
That is exciting. Thank you for the update.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:16 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,161,133 times
I do believe Gander Mountain (Outdoors) was their target for the retail anchor,and publix is probably the only grocer they can get there now.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:44 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
I do believe Gander Mountain (Outdoors) was their target for the retail anchor,and publix is probably the only grocer they can get there now.
KROGER would be a better option for the Columbus market. Publix is very nice, but expensive. I thought Columbus was "poor!"

Old 07-20-2020, 07:03 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,851,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Gander Mountain would most likely do best on Riverchase site, and considering they didn't renew the lease in Opelika, I'm not sure how interested they would be in Columbus market unless they could get in on the river. We shall see!

Old 07-20-2020, 07:43 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers3 View Post
Gander Mountain would most likely do best on Riverchase site, and considering they didn't renew the lease in Opelika, I'm not sure how interested they would be in Columbus market unless they could get in on the river. We shall see!
Gander Mountain (Outdoors) also let their location in Newnan go, after initially announcing it would reopen under the new name. It's now an At Home.

That said, this side of GA could definitely use an Outdoors store. There are none right now between Atlanta and Montgomery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA