Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,119 times

Advertisements

New poster here.....
We're relocating to the Columbus area very soon! Not exactly sure where yet, but we're leaning towards the North/Northeast areas.

I work in veterinary medicine and have four dogs. I've attended some dog related events in Cbus that were really nice (Mutts-n-Co.) I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little more about pet stores, dog parks, rules or regulations, licensing info, veterinary clinics, etc, etc for the Cbus area? It seems like there are several rescues and tons of vet clinics everywhere!

We're pretty active with our dogs- agility, rally, camping, hiking, etc. So any info to where you think we could visit would be great!

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 PM

13 posts, read 26,653 times
I don't know exactly what you are looking for. As far as rules go, I don't know of any that are really different from other states as far as things like leash laws go. If it applies to you, I'd be aware that all pit bulls are classified as vicious dogs under Ohio law, and I know that there are extra laws concerning them in Columbus and some surrounding cities, but I don't know them all. Dogs must be licensed by the end of January every year, and you can get them pretty much anywhere (some pet stores, dog shelters, etc.). After January, the price goes up, but you can still get them.
I'd say the pet stores are pretty typical, as well. There are a few mom and pop shops, but most are chain stores.
A great dog park in Columbus is called Barkpark. It's a private dog park that you have to pay for, and there rules that have to be followed (dog must be fixed, up to date on shots, etc). It's a little bit pricey, but you can be more comfortable about the dogs that are running around. There are a few regular dog parks scattered around the suburbs of Columbus (I think there's one in Gahanna, but I could be wrong), as well. There are also plenty of parks in and around Columbus to take a dog for a walk; and a few, like Goodale Park, don't really enforce the leash rules as long as your dog isn't bothering anybody.
If you like to go hiking, there are some good parks surrounding Columbus and other portions of Ohio. Hocking Hills is a beautiful place to hike (about 1.5 hr from Columbus), and dogs are allowed on a lot of the trails. There is also a backpacking trail dogs are allowed on, if you enjoy that. Southern Ohio has some good trails for a weekend trip, as well. There are numerous multi-purpose trails throughout central Ohio that provide nice places for long walks, as well.
During the summer months, there are a few dog orientated activities (I know there's a dog festival in Grove City), and dogs are allowed at many of the different outdoor festivals.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
As far as Columbus, it's not really a "dog lovers" town, like a city such as Chicago. Chi has dog parks and the whole 9 yards.

I'd say Columbus is about as average as any other city. Nothing over the top.

In Chicago, you'll see dogs in side restaurants (yuck)!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,119 times
Thank you for your response, Otterotint, you gave me exactly what I was looking for. Where we live now there is only 1 decent trail to go on (and yes we like hiking and backpacking...my pointer has his own pack And only 1 half-ok pet store. I was under the impression that Columbus is a huge dog loving community; my friend and I have gone there several times for events at Mutts n Company. We don't have anything like that store where I live- not even close. I was actually going to open up a pet health food store here, until we decided to move!
I wasn't familiar with any hiking, trails, dog parks, etc aside from pet store events.
If it ever warms up, we'll be sure to check out some of the places you mentioned. I've heard great things about Hocking Hills, I'm excited to be so much closer to that area Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Well, we haven't been here all that long; but Westerville has some great walking and hiking trails that are filled with people walking their dogs.

Down by the Hoover Resvoir area; there is a nature trail that ends at the lake and folks ususally let their dogs off leash to run in the water.

I know on Labor day; a few of the pools here have a swim with your dog day.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM

111 posts, read 405,488 times
There's a dog run off of Hamilton Rd on the east side, as well as one at Slate Run metropark in Canal Winchester. Doggie daycare in New Albany, UA, Canal Winchester, probably more...a lot of little cute pet stores (German Village, Short North), in addition to chains. I don't have a dog but my best friend does and she is always talking about that kind of stuff =P

Old 05-26-2012, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
The only trails you can "hike" on in any parks around Columbus are the most basic of basic trails.They should call then walking trails, there is no hiking involved. The parks keep the dog trails on the outside areas of the park, If you truly enjoy hiking, especially with a little elevation every now and then, Columbus is not a good place for it. Not very dog friendly in that respect. Very disappointing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus