Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:45 PM

5 posts, read 35,908 times

Advertisements

http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/seeing-is-believing.cfm
That's a really cool web site with some great Columbus videos.

I moved to Seattle in 2001 from Columbus. Sure, it's "hip" and cosmopolitan here, there are mountains and water and when it's sunny in the summer it's GORGEOUS. But it's also expensive, pretentious, anti-social and has horrendous traffic. When I have friends over, it seems perfectly acceptable for them to critique everything from what wine I drink to the brand of hand lotion I have in the bathroom. Seriously, it's that shallow here and I want out.

I lived in Columbus for 6 years, and in many ways it's the one that got away. I've also lived (as an adult) in the Detroit area, and Syracuse, NY. I wouldn't want to go back to those places for anything, but Columbus still brings a smile to my face. I am getting closer to moving back. Life is good there: interesting but easy. Seriously, it is almost a perfect balance of big-city stuff and quality of life. I also liked the easy weekend getaways you can take to places like Chicago and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:47 AM

17 posts, read 71,123 times
Cost of living...cheap, cheap,cheap!
Friendly people-great place to raise a family

Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 PM

240 posts, read 953,734 times
Ditto... People who complain about nothing to do in Columbus just haven't done enough research. There is plenty to do here.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM

10 posts, read 41,395 times
The housing market is a total buyers market!! If you plan to buy it is all up to you!! I have been out of CBUS for over a year and ran like heck out of there because I thought that any place would be better. I have been a few places on travel nursing assignment and this weekend decided it may be time to come back. I love the people, the midwest mentality is a true one. We are nice! The OSU comradery is great, there are lots of things to do. Lots of nice parks, walking trails, biking trails, restaraunts, bars etc.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM

204 posts, read 813,291 times
- Cost of living
- Ohio State - who needs professional teams?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM

9 posts, read 32,825 times
Default High street rocks!

I recently visited Columbus to see Ace Frehley in concert at Newport music hall and was very impressed with what I saw around the immediate area. I didn't have a city map so I didn't venture beyond that area but within it I found great food and lots of great independent music stores. OSU was bristling with activity, students everywhere, lots of positive energy! The side streets were more like alleys, and parking is a nightmare but aside from that it was a fun place to be. People driving their cars were not rude and the vibe of the area, despite all the activity was really laid back. Easy to find too, straight up US23! Easiest trip I've ever undertaken.

For contrast, one week prior I rode my motorcycle through the Southern states of Virginia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina and Georgia. I found the area of Columbus I visited to have a lot of class and character all it's own. You'll find nice people and cool places everywhere you go. I'm sure Columbus has it's flaws, every city or town does, but I try to notice the good stuff and have a good time.

Newport music hall was an awesome little joint, I'd love to see another show there and if one comes up that's worth the trip, I won't hesitate to visit Columbus again.

Ohio rocks!

Peace,

Joe Eversole
Jenkins, KY

Listen to the "Evershow" Tuesday nights at 11pm at www.wmmtfm.org Click on the Listen Live icon. WMMT is a listener supported public radio station in Whitesburg, KY, playing everything from bluegrass and country to rock and roll and everything in between!

Last edited by CavalierSV650S; 05-05-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 AM

119 posts, read 558,845 times
Whats funny is that there is always something to do in Columbus, but most of the people who complain about it being boring have no initiative, or they seem like they would rather complain because they "can't find" anything else to do. One of the best resources Columbus has is Experience Columbus and it has all the events going on around the city.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,589 times
The Book Loft -- 32 Rooms of Books!!!
The 'Shoe (brings tears to my eyes)
Creampuffs at Schmidts
Hanging out on the balcony of my brother's house in Victorian Village.
Shopping in Clintonville.
O.A.R.
Strolling the cobblestone streets of German Village, especially at night.
The Varsity Club -- I met my hubby there.
High Street -- Free Hugs, Falafel Sandwiches, Bong Shops...
The Short North
Halal Middle Eastern Grocery Stores & Restaurants
Gay Life -- I have gay family members who have lived in Columbus because it's the "San Francisco of the East." I love the diversity and acceptance.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 PM

422 posts, read 758,651 times
Easton. 'nuff said.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 AM

40 posts, read 150,926 times
I lived in Columbus for 14 years and I think it's a great place to live. For a large city it doesn't have the constant traffic and congestion that other cities have (I currently live in Charlotte, NC where traffic is horrific). The weather is usually decent, folks are nice, cost of living is fine, crime is to be expected in the city but what else is new. I love the parks, Alum Creek Beach, Wyandott Lake (waterpark), Columbus Zoo, Red-White and Boom, Jazz Festival, Rib Festival at the waterfront and the spirit of the Buckeyes is evident every where you look during football season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus